How would you pronounce Lucius?

See the results of this poll: Which is the nicest pronunciation of Lucius?

Respondents: 61 (This poll is closed)

• Loo-KIY-us : 0 (0%)
  • LOO-shus : 31 (51%)
  • Loo-SEE-us : 29 (48%)
  • Other (please write in comment): 1 (2%)

I voted for loo-SEE-us, but on reflection I actually say LOO-see-us.
I think I prefer [name_m]Lucian[/name_m], [name_m]Louis[/name_m] or [name_m]Lucan[/name_m]. Or even [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] for a girl.
Maybe you like Loïc?

Oops sorry. I picked the prn that I use rather than the nicest.

I picked [name_m]Lucius[/name_m] put I prefer Loo-see-us.

LOO-see-us, like a previous poster (I prefer the emphasis on the first syllable).

My beef with LOO-shus is that it sounds so much like luscious… and it’s the pronunciation that strays furthest from the original Latin.

I’ve always been taught that it’s pronounced LOO-shus, however I much prefer LOO-see-us.

@hkelsi, @hailwidis

I agree! Thanks for commenting :slight_smile:

I say and prefer LOO-see-us. Same with [name_m]Lucian[/name_m], [name_f]Lucia[/name_f], [name_m]Cassian[/name_m], [name_m]Cassius[/name_m], [name_f]Cassia[/name_f] etc.

I like the pronunciation LOO-shus; however, I usually pronounce it LOO-see-us.

I prefer Loo-shus but hear LOO-see-us/Loo-she-us a lot.

Since I studied Latin, I’m always tempted to use the proper pronunciation but know it’d never stick.

I say LOO-shuhs. I’m curious, though, what the original Latin is? I assumed (erroneously, as it turns out!) that that’s what it was.

I say LOO-see-us. The Classical pronunciation would have been loo-kee-us (unsure on emphasis?), @ashthedreamer, I believe.

I say LOO-shus because every [name_m]Lucius[/name_m] I know pronounces it that way. I don’t think the hard c pronunciation would go over very well.

It’d be the LOO-ki-us (ki/kee) pronunciation. Cs are always hard in Latin.

@ashthedreamer I think the latin pronunciation is LOO-ki-uws according to behindthename.com.

I would only ever say LOO-see-us, which is also my preferred option (I don’t know how you’d get Looshus? No one says Looshiffer for Lucifer).

Loo-kee-us is technically correct, however, if you’re going for ancient latin (as opposed to scholarly or church latin from the renaissance).

(In ancient Latin, all Cs were hard like Ks - Cicero would have been pronounce Ki-ke-ro, Caesar would have been pronounced Kye-ser. By the Middle Ages, Ci, Ce and Cae were soft, while Ca, Cu and Co were hard (therefore Caesar = see-sar, Cara = Kara, Caius = Kye-us and Cicero = si-se-ro.)

So old Latin = Loo-KEE-us; Renaissance/scholarly Latin = LOO-see-us.

I say LOO-see-us (voted for the third option as it was the closest to what I use).