How would you pronounce this?

[name]Isela[/name]?

It is a form of [name]Isla[/name], so would it be EYE-[name]ELA[/name]?

Hm…I would tend to pronounce it Izz-la. It’s the first time I see this name, it depends on how to pronounce it…but I think it is pretty :slight_smile:
I’d like to know the real and official pronounciation of the name. I’m wondering :slight_smile:

ee-SEH-luh

ETA: I was right! Pregnancy, Parenting, Lifestyle, Beauty: Tips & Advice | mom.com

I guessed EE-se-la

I wouldn’t give Namepedia much credence as an ultimate source for pronunciation or anything else. [name]Isela[/name] seems to be an invented variation of [name]Isla[/name] or a short form of [name]Gisela[/name] or perhaps just an invention on its own, and as seems clear from the comments here, can be pronounced in a range of ways, from ice-la to ih-SEH-la to i-see-la. Or like [name]Ursula[/name], but with an I at the beginning.

The fame of [name]Isla[/name] [name]Fisher[/name] has both popularized her name and familiarized people on its pronunciation, but [name]Isela[/name] just starts the confusion all over again.

Thanks [name]Pam[/name]! Wow i dont think you have written back to any of my posts before :smiley: Haha but giddiness aside, i actually found the name [name]Isela[/name] on a diffrent name site (which i cannot remember at the moment), under scottish names, simply saying “variation of [name]Isla[/name]”, i was intruiged cause i have never heard it before. I think the ICE-LA, pronounciation makes the most sense (personally).

I understand the [name]Isla[/name] [name]Fisher[/name] thing as i went the first about 2 years of knowing her as an actress thinking her name was pronounced IS-LA. Haha it wasnt until i came here to Nameberry that i found the real way:) lol

shrugs I disagree that it’s confusing. It seems like a very straightforward spelling–>pronunciation link to me.

Then again, people find ways to butcher the pronunciation of even the simplest names. I think it’s sad that anyone would discard a name just because it may be hard to pronounce. Some of the most beautiful names are hard to get on the first try. Mine is mispronounced on the first try 99% of the time, but after I correct the person, they almost always say “oh, what a beautiful name.”

I think that people who would mispronounce “[name]Isela[/name]” are just trying too hard to connect it to some other name. If you take it as it is, it’s very straightforward.

Though that may be coming from my love of Latin, Greek and Germanic names… which are most often pronounced exactly as they’re spelled.