How would you pronounce this?

I just stumbled on [name_f]Mara[/name_f] and I love it, but I’m wondering what your first instinct pronouncing it would be? Thank you!

I know a [name_f]Mara[/name_f] and she pronounces it [name_f]MARE[/name_f]-ah, as in [name_f]Mary[/name_f] but ending in”ah”.

MAH-ra, for sure

Mah-ra. Like [name_f]Cara[/name_f], [name_f]Lara[/name_f], [name_f]Tara[/name_f] etc. (although I know Americans sometimes pronounce the first part of [name_f]Tara[/name_f] to rhyme with ‘fair’).

[name_f]Mare[/name_f]-uh is how I pronounce it

These things often come back to geography. I’m in Australia and here we pronounce it MAH-ra as in [name_m]Mario[/name_m].

Marr-uh (marr rhyming with car)

[name_f]Mar[/name_f]-ah like the sound [name_u]Mars[/name_u] makes.

[name_f]Mar[/name_f]-ah

( I really like that name )

I pronoynce it MAH-ruh.

Mah-rah, I don’t like the sound of mare-ah.

UK here and I would say MAH-ruh

Another Aussie! Mah-rah.

I say [name_f]MAR[/name_f]-uh, rhyming with ‘car’.

MAH-RUH. Like the “a” sound in “Mama” followed by “Ruhh”

My first instinct is pronouncing [name_f]Mara[/name_f] like [name_f]Mar[/name_f] rhymes with car or tar then uh. So [name_f]Mar[/name_f]-uh. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps.

I’m with the majority–my first instinct would be MAH-ra. But I have known a couple of Taras and [name_f]Laras[/name_f] who pronounced their names “Tair-a” and “Lair-a” (where the first syllables rhymed with hair or stare). So if you prefer the “[name_f]Mair[/name_f]-a” pronunciation, I think people would catch on quickly.

Mid-Atlantic United States here, and I know people named [name_f]Mara[/name_f] who pronounce the first syllable like the first syllable in marriage and others who pronounce it like the first syllable in marker.

It honestly really depends on my mood. Today, it would be [name_f]MAIR[/name_f]-uh but in ten minutes, it could be MARR-uh. I’ve known one of each.

Usually for my region (Midwest), -ara names are said [name_f]AIR[/name_f]-uh ([name_f]Tara[/name_f], [name_f]Sara[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f]).

I’m in the US and have always heard it mar-uh, with “mar” rhyming with car.