How would you pronounce Xavi

I would pronounce [name_m]Xavi[/name_m] like it rhymes with [name_f]Savvy[/name_f] and I’m located in Australia.

I know it’s often used as a a nickname for [name_m]Xavier[/name_m] and can be pronounced as Zayvi and I think it could also be pronounced as Zahhvi…

So I’m wondering how you pronounce it and where you are located :slight_smile:

I’m kiwi Australian and I first read it Zahhvi (it’s my native kiwi accent that wants to lengthen the ‘a’)

1 Like

I’d probaby assume Zay-vee but zav-ee makes sense too. I’m in the UK

1 Like

Brit here, I would say zah-vi like [name_m]Javi[/name_m] with a Z.

1 Like

I have a feeling Zahvi would be the most common pronunciation, even though I love it as [name_m]Xavi[/name_m] pronounced Zav-ee I wouldn’t want them to have to correct their name their whole lives. I have a constantly mispronounced name so I know how it feels!

I’m from the UK, and I’d say Zay-vee, as that’s how I say the beginning of [name_m]Xavier[/name_m]. I wouldn’t be surprised by Zah-vee though.

1 Like

You can always tell people how you want it pronounced :slight_smile:

1 Like

My step brother is [name_m]Xavi[/name_m] ([name_m]Xavier[/name_m]) and he lives in Spain. [name_f]My[/name_f] family say “chabee” - Spanish x is “ch” and v is “b”. He often gets “zahvee” in the UK.

3 Likes

Aussie here. I’ve met two [name_m]Xavi[/name_m]’s, both pronounced zah-vee.

1 Like

I’m an Aussie, and I’d say “zah-vee”.

1 Like

ZAY-vee or ZAH-vee (I slightly prefer the latter).

I’m [name_f]English[/name_f].

1 Like

I say zay-vee because I see it as a nickname for [name_m]Xavier[/name_m]. I’m Australian.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] instinct would be Zah-vee or Zay-vee; I think I would be unsure enough between those two to just ask :slight_smile: (US).

1 Like

Zay-vee ([name_f]Canada[/name_f])

1 Like

I live in the US in an area with a lot of native Spanish speaking people from Mexico, and my first instinct would be to say ‘hah-vee’ since around here [name_m]Xavier[/name_m] and [name_m]Javier[/name_m] are often pronounced the same, and I know quite a few little boys who go by ’havi’ but not one who go by ‘Zayvee’ which would be my next guess on how to pronounce it.

3 Likes

I say haw-vee.

2 Likes

UK here. This is the only [name_m]Xavi[/name_m] I know of.

Apparently his name can be pronounced either SHAH-bee or CHAH-bee so I don’t know. :sweat_smile:

I’m American- zay-vee was my first thought.

1 Like

I’m from the US, and I would pronounce it zah-vee.
zay-vee and zav-ee also make sense though, so I could be easily corrected if I met someone with the name!!

1 Like

I’m in the US! I pronounce it as Zah-vee.

1 Like