How would you pronounce?

[name_m]How[/name_m] would you pronounce the name [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]? I really love the name, but I’m not sure which pronunciation I like better or which one is technically the right one. ee-van-juh-leen or ee-van-juh-lyn?

Also if you will give me your opinions on the name & some possible middle names? Our last name is 2 syllables (Kierstead) so possibly a nice 1 syllable middle name will go best. I would rather not filler middle names, but go ahead and include them if you like :slight_smile:

Also will this name go well with a future brother (If this baby happens to be a girl) [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] [name_m]Matthew[/name_m]?

I adore the name [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], it’s one of my favourite girl names! I pronounce it as ee-van-juh-leen. I have [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] paired together, but I also think that [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] works really well too :slight_smile:

It is pronounced ee-van-ja-leen. It is one of my favorite girl names as well! Elegant, beautiful & unique.
Definitely goes with [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] I think.

Thank you :slight_smile: I’m leaning toward ee-van-juh-leen (that’s how I pronounce it automatically) I just don’t want to pronounce it the wrong way, and I’ve seen it pronounced several different ways =/

[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is beautiful, but that would be a 8 syllable name altogether and I’m afraid that might be too long lol

Thank you! I’m thinking that is the proper way to pronounce it, but I just want to be sure. :slight_smile:

I also pronounce it w/the -leen ending. It’s lovely w/[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]. [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Noelle[/name_f], [name_f]Lourdes[/name_f], [name_f]Vittoria[/name_f] or [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] would be lovely. Or [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_u]Blue[/name_u] if you prefer something more unusual.

So far it seems like the leen ending is the correct one. Oh wow, [name_f]Noelle[/name_f] is gorgeous. But is 8 syllables too long for a name?

I have only every heard it pronounced with the leen ending and I’m pretty sure that’s the real way.

I pronounce it ee-van-ja-leen, like [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] from [name_f]Nanny[/name_f] [name_m]McPhee[/name_m]! :slight_smile:

ee-van-juh-leen is how I pronounce it. [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is only 1 syllable more than [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] [name_m]Matthew[/name_m].

[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Faye[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f]

I’d say ee-van-juh-lyn; I see that’s not a majority opinion, but I think its an accent thing.

When I first came to nameberry and saw how much [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] was liked/favourited, I wasn’t too keen but recently it has crept up to very near the top of my favourites list. It’s elegant and classical and, on paper, it’s a very pretty name. While it’s not overly popular, it is familiar, which is something I like too.

[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] [name_m]Matthew[/name_m] sounds like a great brother.

Middle suggestions:

[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Adele[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_u]Sage[/name_u]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Greer[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f]

I say eh-van-jah-LEEN, but I like eh-van-jah-[name_f]LINE[/name_f] too. I think it’s beautiful, I do adore it. The one reason I wouldn’t use it for a child is because it sounds so religious. Not a bad thing obviously but I don’t plan on raising my children with strong [name_m]Christian[/name_m] views/values.

I like the suggestion of [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Vittoria[/name_f]. Maybe,
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]

ee-vanj-uh-leen

[name_m]Ah[/name_m] your right in that matter. I guess I say [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] fast that I forget that it’s really 3 syllables long and not 2.

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband said no to both [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f], both which I really liked.

Thank you! I wasn’t so sure when I first saw it on nameberry either, but it has really grown on me and I keep turning back to it. I’m just glad that my husband agreed on it. :slight_smile:

And yay! [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] [name_m]Matthew[/name_m] is set in stone, so it’s nice to see that the two names go well together

And my husband said no to all of those names. He is so picky lol

It makes sense. I’m a christian, so it will fit me and my family perfect. But to each their own :slight_smile:

I like middle names [name_f]Willa[/name_f], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] but [name_f]Frances[/name_f] is nice too. I will have to ask my husband. But, it seems like he is being rather picky and is not contributing to finding a middle name. Men. lol