How would you pronounce...

[name_m]How[/name_m] would you pronounce “[name_f]Bea[/name_f]”. We are thinking of using it as a middle name for [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] or [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] but hubby and I are in disagreement on how “[name_f]Bea[/name_f]” would be pronounced. Curious as to how you nameberries pronounce it.

I would have thought it is “bee”

“[name_f]Bee[/name_f]”…like the insect.

Ditto, I’d say “bee”.

I know some nationalities pronounce it “[name_u]BAY[/name_u]-uh”, though. I think you could make that work in English too if you wanted to.

Sort of like the above, I’d pronounce it “bee” in English or “[name_u]BAY[/name_u]-uh” in [name_m]French[/name_m]/Spanish/etc. If you want the second pronunciation, I think it would help to use an accent: Béa.

I’d say “bee” and would assume it was a nickname for [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f].

I say “bee” and I love it as a nickname for [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]. DD has a bay-uh in her gymnastics class and they spell it Beya.

I always thought it made more sense for it to be [name_f]Bee[/name_f]-uh/[name_u]Bay[/name_u]-uh (which I never liked since it almost sounds like how I say beer), but I guessed after a while that most people say it as [name_f]Bee[/name_f] (although Be or [name_f]Bee[/name_f] is how I’d spell it, especially as a nn for [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]/[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]). [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] [name_f]Bea[/name_f] ([name_f]Bee[/name_f]) would be adorable though.

I pronounce [name_f]Bea[/name_f] like bee.

[name_m]How[/name_m] funny! I’d totally say bee-uh, not just bee. What’s the A there for if it’s not pronounced?

Isn’t that like pronouncing [name_f]Ana[/name_f] as [name_f]Ann[/name_f] or [name_f]Lia[/name_f] as [name_u]Lee[/name_u]?

I’d say [name_f]BEE[/name_f]-uh since I always thought it was just the first two syllables of [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f].

[name_f]Bee[/name_f]-a as a nickname and [name_f]Bee[/name_f] as a full name, I think, though I would definitely ask. [name_u]Bay[/name_u]-a would be odd to me.

My first thought is bee. However, knowing some Spanish, the bay-uh pronunciation also makes a ton of sense to me.

I feel the same way.

I would say [name_f]Bee[/name_f]-[name_m]AH[/name_m].

I say bee for [name_f]Bea[/name_f], probably because it’s spelled the same as tea…

Being Filipino, I pronounce it as “[name_u]Bay[/name_u]-uh.”
I love the name, and I am considering it for the middle name of my own daughter someday.
I slightly prefer the “[name_f]Bee[/name_f]” pronounciation with first names [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] or [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] though.
With either pronunciation, I’d say use it. It’s a great name; I also love its meaning. Good luck!

I’d say [name_f]Bee[/name_f]

I instinctively pronounce it “bee-ah” just because that’s how it looks, but I then correct myself to say “bee”, like the insect.