Howard or Gerald?

I’ve recently taken a liking to [name_u]Howard[/name_u], but I’ve also loved [name_m]Gerald[/name_m] for a year or two now. Both these names share similarities, six letters, two syllables, ending in -d, commonly used in the 30s and 40s, of Germanic origin.

I was just wondering which do you prefer and why? What would some good middles be?

I like [name_m]Gerald[/name_m] better, but you could use both for brothers.
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m] [name_m]Erasmus[/name_m]
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u]
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m] [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m]
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m] [name_m]Benedict[/name_m]

[name_u]Howard[/name_u] [name_u]Ray[/name_u]
[name_u]Howard[/name_u] [name_m]Percival[/name_m]
[name_u]Howard[/name_u] [name_m]Sylvester[/name_m]
[name_u]Howard[/name_u] [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u]

No idea what your style is so I did a somewhat random assortment.

1 Like

I prefer [name_u]Howard[/name_u] to [name_m]Gerald[/name_m]. However, it sounds like [name_m]Gerald[/name_m] has withstood the test of time for you so I would likely pick [name_m]Gerald[/name_m] over [name_u]Howard[/name_u] which has just come on the scene.

Nickname wise you pretty much have [name_m]Howie[/name_m] vs [name_u]Gerry[/name_u]. Which are both equally appealing to me.

I prefer [name_u]Howard[/name_u] because I knew a young [name_u]Howard[/name_u] who wore the name very well, but [name_m]Gerald[/name_m] is all old man to me. At the same time I adore [name_f]Geraldine[/name_f] though, so go figure :woman_shrugging:t2:

The nickname [name_m]Howie[/name_m] is cute.
[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_m]Gerard[/name_m] as an alternate to [name_m]Gerald[/name_m]?

1 Like

I like [name_u]Howard[/name_u] better! It seems fresher to me.

I prefer [name_u]Howard[/name_u]! It’s so cuddly and sweet. I also like the nn [name_m]Ward[/name_m]! [name_m]Gerald[/name_m] still feels a bit too old feeling to me.
However, I love [name_m]Gerard[/name_m] and that would’ve gotten my vote! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I prefer [name_u]Howard[/name_u]! It seems less common in general and I much prefer [name_m]Howie[/name_m] to [name_u]Gerry[/name_u] as a nickname. [name_u]Howard[/name_u] [name_u]Elliott[/name_u], [name_u]Howard[/name_u] [name_u]Amos[/name_u], [name_u]Howard[/name_u] [name_m]Vincent[/name_m], and [name_u]Howard[/name_u] [name_u]Julian[/name_u] sound good to me.

I prefer [name_m]Gerald[/name_m]. Not a big fan of the “ow” sound, and in my head, I still hear “[name_u]Howard[/name_u]” in the strident voice of Mrs. Wolowitz on Big Bang [name_u]Theory[/name_u]…but that’s just me. I’ve also come to associate [name_m]Gerald[/name_m] with conservationist [name_m]Gerald[/name_m] [name_m]Durrell[/name_m], who wrote the Corfu trilogy, so the name feels fresh and active to me.

Howard has more charm and i like the nickname [name_m]Howie[/name_m]

What about…

Gerald [name_m]Earl[/name_m]
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m] [name_m]Bartram[/name_m]
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m] [name_u]Chauncey[/name_u]
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m] [name_m]Lothar[/name_m]
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m] [name_m]Webster[/name_m]
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m] [name_m]Norman[/name_m]
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m] [name_m]Kenneth[/name_m]
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m] [name_m]Ruskin[/name_m]
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m] [name_u]Stanley[/name_u]
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m] [name_m]Truman[/name_m]
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m] [name_m]Franklin[/name_m]
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u]
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m] [name_m]Alabaster[/name_m]
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m] [name_m]Immanuel[/name_m]
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m] [name_f]Veridian[/name_f]

Howard [name_m]Claus[/name_m]
[name_u]Howard[/name_u] [name_m]Ludwig[/name_m]
[name_u]Howard[/name_u] [name_m]Britain[/name_m]
[name_u]Howard[/name_u] [name_m]Alphonse[/name_m]
[name_u]Howard[/name_u] [name_u]Essex[/name_u]
[name_u]Howard[/name_u] [name_m]Stuart[/name_m]
[name_u]Howard[/name_u] [name_u]Izzy[/name_u]
[name_u]Howard[/name_u] [name_m]Novak[/name_m]

LMK what you think!!

I like [name_u]Howard[/name_u] and the NN [name_m]Howie[/name_m].
I would pick
[name_u]Howard[/name_u] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] or [name_u]Howard[/name_u] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]

Howard, because I can’t picture someone born now with the name [name_m]Gerald[/name_m].

I prefer [name_m]Gerald[/name_m].

Gerald [name_m]Kenneth[/name_m], [name_m]Gerald[/name_m] [name_m]Franklin[/name_m], [name_u]Howard[/name_u] [name_m]Claus[/name_m], [name_u]Howard[/name_u] [name_m]Alphonse[/name_m], and [name_u]Howard[/name_u] [name_m]Novak[/name_m] are all appealing to me. Thank you.

1 Like

I prefer [name_u]Howard[/name_u]! Seems more handsome to me and nn [name_m]Howie[/name_m] is so cute!
I think it’s the “ald” sound in [name_m]Gerald[/name_m] is a little off putting

@Sophiesimmons I get why you’d say that. It’s like how [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] is a grandma name, but [name_m]Silvio[/name_m] is hip and fresh.

@voughtlori [name_m]Gerard[/name_m] is nice, but it’s just okay whereas I love [name_m]Gerald[/name_m].

@Llewthewolf That’s interesting because [name_m]Gerald[/name_m] ranks higher than [name_u]Howard[/name_u] in the US rankings!

I prefer [name_u]Howard[/name_u] to [name_m]Gerald[/name_m]. [name_m]Howie[/name_m] is a great nickname!