Husband & I don't agree on pronunciation of Emmeline. Help!

See the results of this poll: How would you pronounce Emmeline?

Respondents: 59 (This poll is closed)

• Emma-Lynn: 4 (7%)
  • Emma-Line (as in ‘walk the line’): 30 (51%)
  • Emma-Leen: 25 (42%)

I say [name]Emma[/name]-leen. I suppose because I’ve only ever really heard it spoken out loud in reference to [name]Emmeline[/name] Pankhurst (which was emma-leen).

I say it Emm-eh-line, actually. I’ve never heard [name]Emma[/name]-leen, honestly, and when I was taught about [name]Emmeline[/name] Pankhurst, I was told her name was [name]Emma[/name]-line…

I’ve never actually heard it said aloud, but I pronounce it [name]Emma[/name]-leen. I really dislike the pronunciation [name]Emma[/name]-line, and emma-lyn is just really unintuitive.

[name]Em[/name]-eh-line (like walk the line) is the only pronunciation I’ve ever heard in the US. I agree [name]Emma[/name]-lynn is unintuitive and seems like a trendy pronunciation for a beautiful, classic name.

I only really like it Emm-eh-leen, rather than Emm-eh-line. I like ‘line’ endings on other but not with [name]Emma[/name] at the beginning.

[name]Emma[/name]-[name]Line[/name] doesn’t flow very well in my opinion. [name]Emma[/name]-Leen rolls off the tongue much easier, and doesn’t sound as harsh. [name]Emma[/name]-[name]Lynn[/name] is cute, but I would never pronounce [name]Emmeline[/name] that way because of the E on the end. It just doesn’t fit.

In the movie (also a book) [name]Blue[/name] Lagoon, [name]Brooke[/name] Shields played an [name]Emmeline[/name], and it was pn [name]Emma[/name]-line.

Ditto. When I was in kindergarten or so, a babysitter thought it would be a great idea for me to watch The [name]Blue[/name] Lagoon on HBO, which is where I first heard the name. :slight_smile:

Aside from The [name]Blue[/name] Lagoon, I’ve heard it pronounced as [name]Emma[/name]-line in the [name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables movie (most of the characters say “line,” while one character, [name]Marilla[/name], who must not have received the memo, pronounced it “leen.”)

I know of one other [name]Emmaline[/name] in the U.S., and she also uses the “line” pronunciation. I’m guessing the pronunciation depends on where you live though.

I personally say [name]Emma[/name]-line (rhymes with “wine”), and I think it’s a gorgeous name!

Whichever pronunciation you choose, good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Emma[/name]-LEEN.

Or, pron. it the French way, [name]Em[/name]-LEEN. I dislike [name]Emma[/name]-[name]LINE[/name] and [name]Emma[/name]-[name]LYN[/name], I would spell [name]Emma[/name]-[name]LYN[/name] [name]Emmalyn[/name], not [name]Emmaline[/name]. It’s like I get upset when people pron. [name]Caroline[/name] as [name]Carolyn[/name]. It should be Care-oh-line not Care-oh-lin.

Ok… obviously my husband is in that less than 1% of people that prefer the pronunciation [name]Emma[/name]-[name]Lynn[/name]. I prefer [name]Emma[/name]-[name]Line[/name], as do many of you…

Well, he now REALLY loves this name (even for a 1st name!). He’s always loved [name]Emily[/name] and [name]Emma[/name], and loves how [name]Emmeline[/name] sounds kind of similar… even though I think the name shares roots with [name]Amelia[/name]?

So what do I do now? Original intent was to look for a more unique mn than [name]Elizabeth[/name] and now he’s falling in love with this [name]Emmeline[/name] name (and with a different pronunciation than I would prefer…) Is ‘[name]Emma[/name]-[name]Lynn[/name]’ that bad? Sounds really trendy and somewhat made up to me as it doesn’t follow the historical classic pronunciation, but then there’s also [name]Adeline[/name]'s and [name]Madeline[/name]'s that are pronounced with the ‘[name]Lynn[/name]’ ending. He thinks the ‘[name]LINE[/name]’ endings sound too southern. Should we just abandon [name]Emmeline[/name] all together? Anyone ever been in a pronunciation battle with their spouse? :slight_smile: Oh… fyi… he prefers the spelling [name]Emelyn[/name] vs. [name]Emmeline[/name] as well. Another disagreement. :slight_smile:

I also prefer the [name]Emma[/name]-line pronunciation. This is odd, since I pronounce [name]Evangeline[/name] Evange-lyn. However, if your husband wants to pronounce it [name]Emma[/name]-lyn, the [name]Emelyn[/name] spelling makes more sense. You could try [name]Emeline[/name] I pronounce this spelling [name]Emma[/name]-lyn. Also, what about [name]Emlyn[/name] (two syllables, Emm-lyn)?

If you really love [name]Emmeline[/name], you shouldn’t abandon it.

Thanks. He said he liked the pronunciation flow of ‘[name]Emma[/name]-[name]Lyn[/name]’ [name]Anderson[/name] better than ‘[name]Emma[/name]-[name]Line[/name]’ [name]Anderson[/name]. Not sure the other opinions out there… I just like the classic pronunciation better, but maybe he has a point when combined with our last name [name]Anderson[/name]??? As for spelling, I’ve just never been a fan of spelling names with the ‘lyn’ ending… like [name]Emeline[/name] suggestion though.

Thanks. He said he liked the pronunciation flow of ‘[name]Emma[/name]-[name]Lyn[/name]’ [name]Anderson[/name] better than ‘[name]Emma[/name]-[name]Line[/name]’ [name]Anderson[/name]. Not sure the other opinions out there… I just like the classic pronunciation better, but maybe he has a point when combined with our last name [name]Anderson[/name]??? As for spelling, I’ve just never been a fan of spelling names with the ‘lyn’ ending… like [name]Emeline[/name] suggestion though.[/quote]

Also, thanks for 2 syllable suggestion. Think I still prefer the ‘[name]Emma[/name]’ sound at the beginning vs. ‘[name]Em[/name]’. Maybe it’s just me, but [name]Emlyn[/name] sort of reminds me of Gremlin. [name]Silly[/name] I know…

I don’t think [name]Emmeline[/name] is ideal with the last name [name]Anderson[/name], honestly, and if you can’t agree one a pronunciation and spelling - boy, [name]Emelyn[/name] looks trendy - I think you should scrap it. Sorry!

[name]Claire[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Anderson[/name] sounds lovely!

I don’t think [name]Emmeline[/name] is ideal with the last name [name]Anderson[/name], honestly, and if you can’t agree one a pronunciation and spelling - boy, [name]Emelyn[/name] looks trendy - I think you should scrap it. Sorry!

[name]Claire[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Anderson[/name] sounds lovely![/quote]

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Lemon[/name]… thanks for the feedback. Came across an old posting of mine (posting… ‘Nothing seems to go with [name]Anderson[/name]’… and found one of your responses… copied below…

You said:

"What is your name style, or do you just want a collection of names?

[name]Aimee[/name] [name]Joie[/name] [name]Anderson[/name] ([name]Aimee[/name] is French for “beloved friend”)

[name]Bryony[/name] [name]Clare[/name] [name]Anderson[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name] [name]Jane[/name] [name]Anderson[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name] Linore/[name]Louise[/name] [name]Anderson[/name]
[name]Lacey[/name] [name]Rosette[/name] [name]Anderson[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name] [name]Jeanette[/name] [name]Anderson[/name]
[name]Macy[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Anderson[/name]
[name]Melody[/name] [name]Blythe[/name] [name]Anderson[/name]

Like any? Names ending in Y are good…

Other choices that would be good with [name]Anderson[/name] are those ending in a T sound, like [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Anderson[/name] or [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Anderson[/name], or N, such as [name]Vivian[/name] [name]Anderson[/name] or [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Anderson[/name]. [name]Just[/name] avoid names ending in A, as these will run into your last name…"

So curious… you suggested that names ending in ‘N’, i.e. [name]Emmeline[/name], would work great with [name]Anderson[/name]… But in this thread, you felt otherwise. You always seem to give such great advice, so maybe just a change of opinion here?

I still love [name]Claire[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Anderson[/name]. :slight_smile: To me, [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Anderson[/name] doesn’t work as well because of the N sounds.

Good luck!

[name]Claire[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Anderson[/name] sounds lovely![/quote]

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Lemon[/name]… thanks for the feedback. Came across an old posting of mine (posting… ‘Nothing seems to go with [name]Anderson[/name]’… and found one of your responses… copied below…

You said:

"What is your name style, or do you just want a collection of names?

[name]Aimee[/name] [name]Joie[/name] [name]Anderson[/name] ([name]Aimee[/name] is French for “beloved friend”)

[name]Bryony[/name] [name]Clare[/name] [name]Anderson[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name] [name]Jane[/name] [name]Anderson[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name] Linore/[name]Louise[/name] [name]Anderson[/name]
[name]Lacey[/name] [name]Rosette[/name] [name]Anderson[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name] [name]Jeanette[/name] [name]Anderson[/name]
[name]Macy[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Anderson[/name]
[name]Melody[/name] [name]Blythe[/name] [name]Anderson[/name]

Like any? Names ending in Y are good…

Other choices that would be good with [name]Anderson[/name] are those ending in a T sound, like [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Anderson[/name] or [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Anderson[/name], or N, such as [name]Vivian[/name] [name]Anderson[/name] or [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Anderson[/name]. [name]Just[/name] avoid names ending in A, as these will run into your last name…"

So curious… you suggested that names ending in ‘N’, i.e. [name]Emmeline[/name], would work great with [name]Anderson[/name]… But in this thread, you felt otherwise. You always seem to give such great advice, so maybe just a change of opinion here?[/quote]

[name]Hi[/name], there!

You know, looking back, I’m not totally sure why I wrote that. I think that my issue with [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Anderson[/name] (and I say [name]Emma[/name]-line), is that the ending N in [name]Emmeline[/name] and the beginning N in [name]ANderson[/name] sort of run into each other. It isn’t a huge deal, not as much of a problem as [name]Emma[/name] [name]Anderson[/name], but I don’t love it. I stick with my original Y ending solution as the best possible option, but T would be my second. N isn’t terrible, but it isn’t the best - see what I mean?

I’m sorry for the confusion! Really, I am.

I ALSO RESPONDED WITH SUGGESTIONS ON YOUR OTHER [name]POLL[/name]. AGAIN, SORRY!

Thanks. He said he liked the pronunciation flow of ‘[name]Emma[/name]-[name]Lyn[/name]’ [name]Anderson[/name] better than ‘[name]Emma[/name]-[name]Line[/name]’ [name]Anderson[/name]. Not sure the other opinions out there… I just like the classic pronunciation better, but maybe he has a point when combined with our last name [name]Anderson[/name]??? As for spelling, I’ve just never been a fan of spelling names with the ‘lyn’ ending… like [name]Emeline[/name] suggestion though.[/quote]

Also, thanks for 2 syllable suggestion. Think I still prefer the ‘[name]Emma[/name]’ sound at the beginning vs. ‘[name]Em[/name]’. Maybe it’s just me, but [name]Emlyn[/name] sort of reminds me of Gremlin. [name]Silly[/name] I know…[/quote]

I do too. It just sounds less condensed. (And less trendy.)