Husband spoke to mom, totally bummed....

Our whole family knows that we are currently TTC and my husband made the mistake of mentioning our “top” boy name to his mom and she HATED it! She said no grandson of hers was going to be named after a cartoon cat. Sigh. So of course now he says he agrees and thinks he will be teased and doesn’t want to use it anymore. I’m hoping he will come around but in case he doesn’t our second favorite name for a boy is [name]Leo[/name] which I also love. [name]Leo[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] is our top combo so far- we love the masculine and regal sound of the name :slight_smile:

So I wanted your help in finding a “stunning” sibling match. Names we like for girls include:

[name]Augusta[/name]
[name]Philippa[/name] ([name]Pippa[/name])
[name]Amelie[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Margot[/name] (but probably too matchy with [name]Leo[/name])
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]

Our boys names we both like are much shorter, lol :

[name]Marcus[/name]
[name]Desmond[/name]

So my question is this : Which of those names with [name]Leo[/name], if any, would make you think “What a stunning sibling set!” And any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name] Mangotree, the situation you find yourself in is all too familiar which is why I always advise prospective parents to keep their favourite names to themselves until after the birth certificate is signed. With the strong, majestic yet spunky name of [name]Leo[/name], I like [name]Augusta[/name], [name]Philippa[/name] as well as [name]Marcus[/name] from your list. Here are some other suggestions. Good luck, [name]Mischa[/name].
Girls
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Bridget[/name]
[name]Ada[/name]
[name]Junia[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Justine[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]

Boys
[name]Julius[/name] / [name]Julian[/name]
[name]August[/name] / [name]Augustus[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Cyrus[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Harvey[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Ivan[/name]
[name]Rupert[/name]
[name]Dominic[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]
[name]Vincent[/name]
[name]Eli[/name]

[name]How[/name] could anyone not love [name]Felix[/name]?! sigh [name]Leo[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] is lovely, though. From your lists, I like [name]Amelie[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Clementine[/name], and [name]Desmond[/name] best with [name]Leo[/name].

[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Ada[/name]

[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Roman[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Ivan[/name]
[name]Matthias[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]

From your girls list I love [name]Leo[/name] and [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Leo[/name] and [name]Amelie[/name] or [name]Leo[/name] and [name]Philippa[/name]. From your boys I think the strongest would be [name]Leo[/name] and [name]Desmond[/name]. I’ve just never really found [name]Marcus[/name] to be a strong name. Some other names you might like:
[name]Abram[/name]
[name]Roscoe[/name]
[name]Jerome[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name]
Carbrey
[name]Cormac[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Cedric[/name]
[name]Finnian[/name]
[name]Gerard[/name]
[name]Ivan[/name]
[name]Cassian[/name]
[name]Hugh[/name]
[name]Justus[/name]/[name]Justice[/name]
[name]Madoc[/name]
[name]Taliesin[/name]
[name]Norman[/name]/[name]Normand[/name]
[name]Ralph[/name]
[name]Rupert[/name]
[name]Stefan[/name]
[name]Tarquin[/name]
[name]Willoughby[/name]
[name]Brooks[/name]
[name]Duncan[/name]
[name]Evander[/name]
[name]Gregor[/name]
[name]Malcolm[/name]
[name]Reuben[/name]
[name]Dmitri[/name]

[name]Rosalind[/name]/[name]Rosamund[/name]
[name]Justine[/name]
[name]Fleur[/name]
[name]Adele[/name]
[name]Tansy[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Gloria[/name]
[name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Clemence[/name]
[name]Melisande[/name]
[name]Antonia[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
Ghyslaine
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Clarice[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name]
[name]June[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Ramona[/name]
[name]Scarlet[/name]
[name]Tamsin[/name]
[name]Verona[/name]
[name]Yvonne[/name]

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I love the suggestion of [name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Maeve[/name] (but am a bit worried with this one as our surname is only one syllable) and [name]Adelaide[/name]. [name]Silas[/name] is another name my husband mentioned but for some reason I just get an evil sounding vibe from the name lol. Reminds me of a snake or something, not sure. [name]Oliver[/name] is my favorite name ever but husband hates it :frowning: Ditto [name]Peter[/name].

Looks like replies are pretty split between [name]Desmond[/name] and [name]Marcus[/name] which I guess is good since it leaves my options open :slight_smile: Any other replies would be appreciated as there doesn’t seem to be a clear winner as far as which girl name goes best with [name]Leo[/name].

First off, I love [name]Felix[/name]! I honestly had no idea it was the name of a cartoon cat until I saw it mentioned here on nameberry. I’m 22, so maybe it’s my age? But either way I highly doubt that anyone in your childs generation will make that connection. Still, if your husband just can’t get over his mothers comment, I really think that [name]Leo[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] is a great name. From your girls names I really like [name]Penelope[/name]. I honk a little [name]Penny[/name] and [name]Leo[/name] sibset would be adorable! I also love love love [name]Evangeline[/name]! Most of my suggestions have already been mentioned but some that I donthink anyone has said are : [name]Emmett[/name], [name]Everett[/name], [name]Knox[/name](has a similar sound to [name]Felix[/name]), [name]Grant[/name], [name]Heath[/name], [name]Hugh[/name], [name]Eve[/name], [name]Lola[/name], [name]Delilah[/name].

I agree with the previous poster about [name]Felix[/name] in this generation…I’m 26 and didn’t know [name]Felix[/name] was a cat until this year, lol. It’s definitely a safer choice than say [name]Casper[/name], which kids today still watch and know is a ghost. I’d tell your [name]MIL[/name] to shove it, then backhand DH for discussing names with her period, and stick to your favorite. No ones opinion should matter, it’s YOUR sons name that you’re picking - not her grandsons name - and to skip use of what you love because of the opinion of someone whose opinion holds no clout, is silly.

I think my own hostility towards my [name]MIL[/name] may have come out a bit in my reply, lol, so while I stand by my recommendation, I suppose you could phrase everything in a more polite way. :wink:

Out of the girls, I like [name]Clementine[/name] provided that you aren’t planning to call her [name]Cleo[/name] as a nn. [name]Leo[/name] and [name]Cleo[/name] would be way too much. [name]Penelope[/name] would be my #2 choice. I think [name]Leo[/name] and [name]Penny[/name] are cute together.

I thought you were referring to [name]Garfield[/name], I had no idea [name]Felix[/name] was a cat either. It’s a very nice name. I really love [name]Margo[/name] but I like [name]Marlow[/name] more. I don’t think it’s too matchy matchy with [name]Leo[/name].

From your list I love [name]Penelope[/name]!
[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] or [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] would be beautiful.
For a boy:
[name]Justus[/name]
[name]Xzavier[/name]
[name]Elijah[/name]
[name]Luke[/name]
[name]Nolan[/name]
[name]Titus[/name]
[name]Phineas[/name]
all seem to go with your names

Maybe I’m just a little… sheltered… or something, but I didn’t even know there was a cartoon cat named [name]Leo[/name]. I have no idea to what she’s referencing, so I don’t think the association is necessarily that great (at least where I come from). However, I think [name]Leo[/name] is lovely (although way too nicknamey for my taste, on it’s own.) I know you’re mother-in-law’s (or was it mother…?) matter to you, and they should, ultimately if you love the name, use it. She may hate it at first but it won’t be long after your little boy’s born that he will be the only thing she associates with the name. I’m sure she’ll love him no matter what. And it’s your baby, so it’s your decision.

Good luck, you have great names!

I feel your pain! I am still mourning the loss of the name [name]Felix[/name]… my absolute favorite. My husband vetoed for the same reason as your [name]MIL[/name]. HOWEVER - my parents absolutely HATED the name my sister chose for her oldest son ([name]Gage[/name])… not long after he was born, they both fell in love with the name and couldn’t image it any different. So I don’t really take parents opinions into account.

Also… VERY few children even know who [name]Felix[/name] The [name]Cat[/name] is. My generation barely knows him, and I’m 24.

Your names are all long and old-fashioned, but I like them. I like [name]Philippa[/name] a lot, and [name]Philippa[/name] [name]Clementine[/name] is cute(: Here’s some more options for ya:
[name]Philippa[/name] [name]Joyce[/name]
[name]Philippa[/name] [name]Corinne[/name]
[name]Philippa[/name] [name]Kellyn[/name]

I like [name]Marcus[/name] [name]Alexander[/name], and [name]Marcus[/name] [name]Jared[/name].

[name]Leo[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] is cute!

Tell your [name]MIL[/name] that it’s only old fogies who still know that [name]Felix[/name] was a cartoon cat! :wink: I’m in my early 30s and I know he was a cartoon cat, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen any of the cartoons. The stronger association for me is with the [name]Felix[/name] on the show “Road to Avonlea.” It’s a lovely name and high on my list, but my dh is not crazy about it. If your dh liked it before, though, I would push for it. No one is going to tease him about it. The most likely candidate for teasing him about it now is his grandmother, really, so it’s not at all likely.

But I also love [name]Leo[/name]. My only worry with some of your girl names is that they are long. I don’t think it would really bother me, but if you’re looking for a well-matched set, it might feel kind of lopsided. I love [name]Leo[/name] and [name]Pippa[/name], but I think I maybe see [name]Leo[/name] as more of a nickname for a longer [name]Leo[/name]- name, so I feel like it’s a fun, casual name. If you use [name]Penelope[/name], would you use a nn? [name]Penelope[/name] has all the same sounds in it that [name]Leo[/name] does, so I like that combo.

But don’t give up on [name]Felix[/name] yet! :wink:

Thanks everyone for your encouragement! I haven’t given up on [name]Felix[/name] yet but I’m letting things settle a bit before I bring it up again. And I do still really love [name]Leo[/name] :slight_smile: I [name]LOVE[/name] the suggestion of [name]Philippa[/name] [name]Clementine[/name]! Thanks! I would use the [name]Pippa[/name] nickname for [name]Penelope[/name] so obviously I have to choose between [name]Philippa[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name]. I’m worried [name]Philippa[/name] is a bit too out there for the US, I’m not sure.

@brisen- I sometimes feel the same way you do about the length of the girls’ names compared to [name]Leo[/name] but there just aren’t many two syllable girls names that I like (That aren’t mega popular: [name]Chloe[/name], [name]Ava[/name], [name]Stella[/name]) . Our last name is only one syllable so I try to find names that are two or more ( [name]Even[/name] though I love names like [name]Maeve[/name], [name]Rose[/name], and [name]Rhys[/name]) The only one I can think of off the top of my head is [name]Clara[/name] but is it a bit too plain?

Thoughts on whether a 3 or 4 syllable girl name is too much with [name]Leo[/name]?