Husband's medications and TTC

Hello!

I have a question about TTC and husband being on medication.
My husband and I [name_m]JUST[/name_m] decided to start a family :slight_smile:

He talked to his doctor a few months ago about wanting to start a family, and his doctor didn’t think any of his medications (blood pressure, included) should cause any issues.

Recently, he injured his back and is now on muscle relaxers and pain pills. He shouldn’t have to take them much longer, as long as he heals up. He is worried that, basically, the medications could carry on to the baby, if I got pregnant while he’s on the pills. He is worried that his sperm could harm the baby, basically.

I, myself, am doing my best to get to a healthier weight and I avoid alcohol and do not smoke, period!
He is due to see his doctor again, soon, but I would like to know if anyone here has had any issues about the man taking medications while TTC or any other concerns.

Thank you!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] I didn’t look this up or anything, but I am a nurse and I have never ever heard of medications affecting/being carried by sperm. I don’t think the meds matter at all when it comes to TTC

I have never heard of this being an issue. Sperm carry DNA. They’re not like blood which carries the things we ingest about our bodies. If a mother is on meds, it may affect the baby because it is in her blood. I do not think the same can be said of sperm. The meds may affect things like sperm count or other fertility issues, but not the genetic material given to the baby. As far as I am aware, anyway.

Medication can’t affect the genetic make up of the sperm, but it can affect fertility. Never hurts to double check with a doctor though!

Thank you all for your replies! :slight_smile: I think he is just a little over concerned!, hehe. He sees his doctor soon and he will ask him any questions. But I will let him know that, most likely, everything will be fine! :smiley: Thank you! :slight_smile: