Husband's Suggestions

We are expecting a baby girl and I have asked for my husband’s input. He has suggested the following names:

[name]Ava[/name]
[name]Isabella[/name]/[name]Isabelle[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Emma[/name]

Please give me your honest opinions of these names. Which one is your favorite from his list? Thank you so much for your thoughts!

honestly i think i’d pick elizabeth. it’s strong and timeless

all of the names your husband suggested are in the top 100 of girls names at the moment. while elizabeth is ranked 10 or something it gives you the most by way of nicknames. even if there are 3 elizabeths in a class, one could be lizzie, another libby and another betsy. so to me that would be your best bet. second i would chose caroline. i find it more classic than isabelle, ava and emma. caroline has always been around, but never becoming remarkably trendy.

While I do think these are all really beautiful names, [name]Ava[/name], [name]Isabella[/name], and [name]Emma[/name] are CRAZY POPULAR!!! One could argue that they’re classic, but I think they’ll end up sounding dated. They are quite nice for being so trendy, though. You don’t have that problem with [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name]. I personally [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]. It’s beautiful and classic and has endless possibilities. I don’t like [name]Caroline[/name] as much, though I do see the appeal.

I’m curious, if these are your husbands favorites, what are yours?

I like [name]Caroline[/name]. [name]Ava[/name], [name]Isabella[/name], and the others are very popular. [name]Caroline[/name] is a bit but not as popular as [name]Ava[/name] or [name]Isabella[/name].

I vote for [name]Elizabeth[/name] or [name]Caroline[/name], two stunning names. I actually think I’d go with [name]Elizabeth[/name] due to the nicknames, particularly [name]Eliza[/name]. ([name]Eliza[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] is lovely!)

My all-time favorite girl’s name is [name]Elizabeth[/name]. [name]Favorite[/name] nicknames for [name]Elizabeth[/name] are [name]Lizzy[/name], [name]Libby[/name], [name]Liza[/name], and [name]Eliza[/name]. [name]Caroline[/name] is another favorite of mine.

I second [name]Jill[/name]'s [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]…just gorgeous! (or just [name]Elizabeth[/name] :slight_smile: )

[name]Just[/name] wondering…would your husband consider names that INCLUDE part of his favorites?

perhaps…
[name]Emma[/name] could be [name]Emmeline[/name] or [name]Emery[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name] to Carrington or [name]Coraline[/name]
[name]Elisabeth[/name] to [name]Aliza[/name] or [name]Lisanne[/name].
[name]Ava[/name] to [name]Avri[/name] or [name]Avalon[/name]

My favorite is [name]Coraline[/name] :slight_smile:

i like [name]Caroline[/name], but am also curious about your list. what did you suggest as your favorites?

Thank you for your thoughts! Please keep the comments coming if anyone wants to add their opinion. I actually like [name]Grace[/name], but my husband has never liked virtue names as first names. So, we are compromising and will probably have [name]Grace[/name] be the middle name. I like [name]Sophia[/name] for a first name, but hubby really cannot stand the nickname [name]Sophie[/name]. [name]Emily[/name] and [name]Madeleine[/name] have always been my favorites but I already have little nieces named these names. I’m a little stuck right now. It is important to me that my husband really like our daughter’s name so I am definitely considering his favorites. I think I do like most on his list. There are so many good choices that it is difficult for me to decide which direction to go and pick just one.

Some others that I discovered that I like:

[name]Juliana[/name]
[name]Angelina[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Brooke[/name]
[name]Ariana[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Sarah[/name]
[name]Megan[/name]
[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Lacey[/name]
[name]Kyleigh[/name]
[name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Malia[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Mia[/name]
[name]Chloe[/name]
[name]Amy[/name]
[name]Caileigh[/name]
[name]Natalie[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Jenna[/name]
[name]Elissa[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Anna[/name] [name]Grace[/name]

I see you like Viviann… I love the spelling [name]Vivienne[/name] and thought you might too!

All of these are beautiful names. The names [name]Emily[/name] and [name]Madeleine[/name] are wonderful but very very popular, as are many of your husbands choices. Does that bother you at all? I am biased because I have the name [name]Amy[/name], given to me in the 80s, and in every single one of my classes growing up there was another [name]Amy[/name]. That meant that I had to be “[name]Amy[/name] B” which i hated more than anything…even though i think the name [name]Amy[/name] is beautiful and wonderful, I wished my parents had checked the popularity charts and thought about how many other amy’s I would be playing with all the time. I think that the ideal for you would be to find a name that is beautiful and classic and still popular, but just not in the top 20 or so.

[name]Ava[/name] - [name]Love[/name] this name, but is #4. I babysit 3 families, and two of those have ava’s.
[name]Isabella[/name]/[name]Isabelle[/name] - was my favorite name growing up, but now is [name]WAY[/name] too popular (with all its variations put together it has got to be number one)
[name]Caroline[/name] – [name]LOVE[/name] this name, such a classic. NN [name]Caro[/name] is very cute.
[name]Elizabeth[/name] – so many cute nicknames! A great name and will never be trendy.
[name]Emma[/name] – another one of my favorites that became too popular.
[name]Juliana[/name] – A beautiful name! What does your husband think of the rest of your list?
[name]Angelina[/name] – I just think Brangelina.
[name]Vivian[/name] – [name]LOVE[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name] – [name]LOVE[/name]
[name]Carolina[/name] – [name]LOVE[/name]
[name]Brooke[/name] – so so on this one.
[name]Ariana[/name] – ok.
[name]Olivia[/name] – too popular
[name]Sarah[/name] – classic, overused, but I love the nn sadie if you use it.
[name]Megan[/name] - dated
[name]Lila[/name] - beautiful, popular, but not TOOO popular.
[name]Lacey[/name] – what if she’s a tomboy?
[name]Kyleigh[/name] – not a fan
[name]Abigail[/name] – I love this name even though its popular.
[name]Malia[/name] – Pretty, but be ready for the “oh like [name]Malia[/name] [name]Obama[/name]”
[name]Victoria[/name] – I like a lot of your other choices more.
[name]Mia[/name] – Cute, but popular.
[name]Chloe[/name] – Very popular, what about [name]Cleo[/name]?
[name]Amy[/name] – My name :slight_smile: would be worried that it would be a “mom name” since there are so many people in their 20’s with this name. I like my name though.
[name]Caileigh[/name] – too complicated
[name]Natalie[/name] – very pretty, but not my favorite.
[name]Fiona[/name] – [name]LOVE[/name].
[name]Felicity[/name] – love, but i think of american dolls.
[name]Jenna[/name] – dated.
[name]Elissa[/name] [name]Grace[/name] – so so.
[name]Anna[/name] [name]Grace[/name] – [name]LOVE[/name], even though its popular.
[name]Emily[/name]
[name]Madeleine[/name]

My favorites of yours:
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name] or [name]Carolina[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Juliana[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Lila[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Abigail[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Anna[/name] [name]Grace[/name]

Instead of [name]Emily[/name], what about [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Grace[/name]?

I really am curious which of your list your husband likes…keep us posted on what you are thinking!

Also, just thought I would add a few that you might like.

[name]Adeline[/name] – could very well be too close to [name]Madeleine[/name], but having cousins [name]Addie[/name] and [name]Maddie[/name] would be pretty cute.
[name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Annalise[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Eve[/name] or [name]Eva[/name]
[name]Elena[/name]
[name]Eliana[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name], [name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Kate[/name]
[name]Mirabelle[/name]

Going to think of more later, but have to go to class.

[name]Juliana[/name]–This is lovely in its own way. I personally prefer [name]Julia[/name] (simple, fairly unusual and elegant. [name]Julie[/name] is a cute nickname. though everpresent, it seems, in my generation (born early 1980s)

[name]Angelina[/name]-- [name]Jolie[/name]? Can’t get past that one, unfortunatelly! Similar… [name]Annabel[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name], [name]Jessica[/name]? [name]Alina[/name]? [name]Andrea[/name]? [name]Angelica[/name]? [name]Angela[/name]? [name]Georgina[/name]? ([name]Georgie[/name]!), [name]Philomina[/name] (ha! how bold are you??)?

[name]Vivian[/name] —once again, [name]Jolie[/name]? ([name]Angelina[/name] [name]Jolie[/name]'s baby girl is, I believe, [name]Vivienne[/name] [name]Marcheline[/name]. [name]Lovely[/name] sound. Too much [name]Jolie[/name] going on for my taste. I do really like this. Stupid Bradjolina. Other Vs… [name]Vera[/name]? [name]Vida[/name] (means life),

[name]Lillian[/name]–Great name–[name]Lily[/name] is a wonderful nickname. Unfortunately, everyone else thinks so too. If you don’t mind the popularity, this is beautiful!

[name]Carolina[/name]–love love love. Would use if 1. I didn’t live in [name]North[/name] [name]Carolina[/name] and 2. if my last name wasn’t a word-name. [name]Carolina[/name] [name]Winter[/name] sounds like a country song. Urg!

[name]Brooke[/name]–This sounds very 1980s to me. No…it’s currently at its most popular at #45. Is [name]Brook[/name] better? Hmmm. Not a bad sound. [name]Do[/name] you like the simple B sounds? [name]Belle[/name], [name]Blanche[/name], [name]Blair[/name], [name]Bonnie[/name]?

[name]Ariana[/name]–this girl has bright red hair and lipstick to match. Why? I’m not sure. Luxurious foreign sound. Lots of vowels–would sound good sung by a gorgeous tenor in an Italian opera. [name]Do[/name] you like: [name]Elaine[/name], [name]Raina[/name], [name]Sylvia[/name] (has that Italian/Latin sound)?

[name]Olivia[/name]–Very popular (top 10, I believe). Of the top tens, I actually like [name]Olivia[/name] the least–and I usually love O names. I much prefer your husbands picks. I actually like [name]Livia[/name] very much. Sounds much more restrained, somehow.

[name]Sarah[/name]–Woop! Best name of all time. Also mine.

[name]Megan[/name]–cute, clean. Not nearly as graceful and vowel-ly as many of your other picks.

[name]Lila[/name]–like this one. Alot. Better than [name]Lily[/name], in my opinion. Could you use this as a nickname for the more formal [name]Lillian[/name]?

[name]Lacey[/name]–this is cute, but sounds more like a nickname to me. And I keep getting an image of a wedding dress…you know, lacey.

[name]Kyleigh[/name]–The K and Y trend is, in my humble opinion, on its way out. Think [name]Kayleigh[/name], [name]Kyley[/name], [name]Mykah[/name], etc. [name]Leigh[/name], I like. And [name]Chloe[/name]. These have some similar sounds to [name]Kyleigh[/name], yes?

[name]Abigail[/name]–I very much like [name]Abigail[/name]. [name]Abby[/name] is charming. [name]Abigail[/name] is, just to let you know, currently the 8th most popular name in the US. Still lovely.

[name]Malia[/name]–A variation of [name]Mary[/name], I believe. One of Pres. [name]Obama[/name]'s daughters. Good sound.

[name]Victoria[/name]–Anglophile that I am, I do like [name]Victoria[/name]. [name]Vicky[/name]–not so much. [name]Tory[/name]–no. But if you could keep her [name]Victoria[/name]: sweet. [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Virginia[/name]? [name]Violet[/name]? V- names are so great…

[name]Mia[/name]–Cute name, currently in the top 20. I like it, but it’s not as substantial as [name]Malia[/name], which I like better.

[name]Chloe[/name]–Like [name]Chloe[/name]. Currently holds the #16 spot in the US.

[name]Amy[/name]–Not bad. Still sounds 80s to me.

[name]Caileigh[/name]–Same complaint as [name]Kyleigh[/name] above. Could you try [name]Calla[/name] (as in lily–good flower name. or [name]Cora[/name] (this is one of MY favorite names, so I hesitate to suggest!!)

[name]Natalie[/name]–Not a bad name at all. Personal connotations…not so good. Not the name’s fault.

[name]Fiona[/name]–Very nice! Cute, known but not overknown.

[name]Felicity[/name]–I love [name]Felicity[/name]. Something (?) keeps her off my list, but I love her. You should use this one.

[name]Jenna[/name]–once again–a bit 80s. Why do I feel that way? (checking baby name wizard…) On the rise all throughout the 80s and 90s, peaked in 2003 (#55) and fell dramatically after that. Currently stands at 103.

[name]Elissa[/name] [name]Grace[/name]–This is pretty.

[name]Anna[/name] [name]Grace[/name]–[name]Anna[/name] is a great great name. Simple, strong. I like [name]Anna[/name].

[name]Juliana[/name]: I love [name]Juliana[/name], but be aware of pronunciation issues. :slight_smile:

[name]Angelina[/name]: I’m not a fan of [name]Angelina[/name], but love so many of the names on your list.

[name]Vivian[/name]: I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name]! :slight_smile:

[name]Lillian[/name]: A lovely name. :slight_smile: What about [name]Lila[/name]?

[name]Carolina[/name]: I far prefer the classic [name]Caroline[/name]. :slight_smile: Be aware that while some will say [name]Carolina[/name], like the State, others will say Care-oh-lee-nuh.

[name]Brooke[/name]: [name]Brooke[/name] is too trendy for me, and honestly doesn’t hold up to the classics on your list.

[name]Ariana[/name]: I think [name]Ariana[/name] is very pretty, and am wondering about [name]Adriana[/name]?

[name]Olivia[/name]: [name]Lovely[/name], but very popular…

[name]Sarah[/name]: [name]Sarah[/name] is lovely, but very popular. [name]Sarah[/name] is a great name, though, and you could always use the nickname [name]Sadie[/name].

[name]Megan[/name]: [name]Megan[/name] is very dated. :frowning:

[name]Lila[/name]: I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Lila[/name]!

[name]Lacey[/name]: [name]Lacey[/name] is trendy and honestly doesn’t hold a candle to the classic names. :frowning:

[name]Kyleigh[/name]: I’m not a fan of trendy/invented/misspelled names. You have so many lovely names on your list, though. :slight_smile:

[name]Abigail[/name]: Very pretty, but very popular…

[name]Malia[/name]: Not a fan of [name]Malia[/name]…

[name]Victoria[/name]: [name]Victoria[/name] is beautiful name, but it’s also very popular. (Also, the [name]Vicky[/name] nickname ruins it for me.)

[name]Mia[/name]: [name]Mia[/name] is so beautiful, but its popularity is a drawback for me. (But that’s just me!)

[name]Chloe[/name]: I do like [name]Chloe[/name]…

[name]Amy[/name]: [name]Amy[/name], like [name]Megan[/name], is very dated and has lost its style.

[name]Caileigh[/name]: Not a fan of trendy/invented/misspelled names…

[name]Natalie[/name]: [name]Natalie[/name] is lovely name.

[name]Fiona[/name]: [name]Fiona[/name] is a fantastic name! :slight_smile:

[name]Felicity[/name]: I absolutely adore [name]Felicity[/name].

[name]Jenna[/name]: [name]Jenna[/name] is very trendy and dated. What about [name]Gemma[/name]?

[name]Elissa[/name] [name]Grace[/name]: Not a fan of [name]Elissa[/name]…
[name]Anna[/name] [name]Grace[/name]: [name]Anna[/name] is beautiful! :slight_smile:

[name]Juliana[/name], [name]Lillian[/name], [name]Lila[/name], [name]Vivienne[/name], [name]Fiona[/name], and [name]Felicity[/name] are my favorites from your list, with [name]Lacey[/name] and the “leigh” names at the very bottom. You have so many beautiful names from which to choose! :slight_smile:

Some more ideas for you:

[name]Annabel[/name]/[name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Anneliese[/name] ([name]Anna[/name]-leese)
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Diana[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Eva[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Gemma[/name] (jem-ma)
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Mae[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Nell[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Simone[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]

Best wishes!

You both seem to like very stylish names. The down side of a name like [name]Ava[/name] or [name]Grace[/name] or several of the others is that your daughter will share her name with many of her friends and classmates. I do love [name]Caroline[/name] – for me that would be number 1 – and [name]Elizabeth[/name].

[name]Isabella[/name], [name]Emma[/name], and [name]Ava[/name] are all adorable…but way too trendy for my tastes. I really like [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name] and I think they are classic, not overused, and leave room for a lot of nicknames.

[name]Isabella[/name], [name]Emma[/name], and [name]Ava[/name] are all adorable…but way too trendy for my tastes. I really like [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name] and I think they are classic, not overused, and leave room for a lot of nicknames.

I’d say [name]Emma[/name] [name]Caroline[/name].

I think that [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Emma[/name] are wonderful names-both very strong and timeless. Plus, as pointed out, [name]Elizabeth[/name] has the potential for a great variety of nicknames. Regardless of popularity both seem to sound refreshing and are truly beautiful.

[name]Isabelle[/name] is just too trendy for my taste right now (the same goes for [name]Ava[/name]), which is a shame because they really are lovely names. And for some reason unknown I have just always felt averse to the feel of [name]Caroline[/name].