I already know the answer, but...

Are [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] and [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] too close for sisters?

Ugh, I fear I already know that they are. I just love [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] so much.

Well, yes. I love [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] too!

I do think they are, sorry. You could still use it as a middle name though in my opinion.

They are very similar, but honestly, I think it depends on how much you love the name. My kids have very different names, but those were the names that we absolutely loved. For the majority of cases I believe you should use the name you love regardless of what their siblings are called (exceptions being things like [name_u]Toby[/name_u] / [name_u]Cody[/name_u] / [name_m]Cobie[/name_m]). You’re naming individuals who will grow up to live their own lives, in the grand scheme of things it doesn’t really matter what your brothers and sisters are called, what does matter is how much you love their names.

While [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] and [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] are similar, it’s purely because they both start with [name_f]Ag[/name_f]-, but they don’t rhyme and they have a different number of syllables. Maybe if you used different nicknames for them it would differentiate them enough? Something like [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] and [name_f]Nessie[/name_f]
Or you said in your other post that you use [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]'s full name a lot, if you did this with your second that would work too, [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] and [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] [name_f]Aster[/name_f] (using the middle name from your other post, I don’t know if this is set in stone) sound beautiful!

If the natural nickname for both names is the same - in this case [name_f]Aggie[/name_f] - I think they’re too close.

I love [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] too, but yes — definitely too close. Sorry :frowning:

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Ines[/name_f]/[name_f]Inez[/name_f], an international variant?

Or a similar strong vintage name: [name_f]Mavis[/name_f], [name_f]Doris[/name_f], [name_u]Marion[/name_u], [name_f]Esther[/name_f], [name_f]Ada[/name_f]/[name_f]Ida[/name_f]…?

I think their names would be confused with each other’s by so many that it would get very annoying very quickly.

'Fraid I agree with everyone else, it’s too close. I really like @katinka’s [name_f]Ines[/name_f] suggestion though.

Suggestions: [name_f]Blythe[/name_f], [name_f]Hester[/name_f], [name_f]Dilys[/name_f], [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f], [name_f]Blanche[/name_f], [name_f]Myrtle[/name_f].

Close, but if you really love [name_f]Agnes[/name_f], I say use it anyway. [name_m]Just[/name_m] give them different nicknames and you’re all set. :slight_smile:

I agree with this.

I think it’s fine, actually. You love the name and them being similar won’t actually matter that much in all: they’ll likely only be called as sisters (say, “[name_f]Agatha[/name_f], [name_f]Agnes[/name_f]!”) when they’re children - which is only a very small portion of their lives.

If you think they’re too similar, though, I’d advise putting [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] in the middle spot.

I think we’ve decided it’s too close for our tastes but after hearing about [name_f]Inez[/name_f]/[name_f]Ines[/name_f] we are considering that option. Thank you to everyone who gave their input!

I knew that most people on Nameberry would think it’s too close, and I wouldn’t use them together myself, but in real life I don’t actually think it’s a problem. They have the same beginning sound but the rest of the name is different, and with different numbers of syllables. I know quite a few real-life sibsets where the names have the same beginning (or ending) sound and they don’t have a problem.

Yes. Prefer [name_f]Agatha[/name_f], it’s zestier.

I think [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] and [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] together would be too close. From you signature, how about

[name_f]Agatha[/name_f] and [name_f]Astrid[/name_f]?
[name_f]Agatha[/name_f] and [name_f]Zelda[/name_f]? (this pairing was where my mind went before I saw your signature!)

[name_f]Susan[/name_f]

My main concern would be not if the full names are similar (it’s too close for my taste, but that’s subjective), but the nickname thing. I foresee potential problems if they both wanted [name_f]Aggie[/name_f] as a nickname (and in my opinion this nickname is part of each name’s charm). I agree [name_f]Ines[/name_f] makes a great alternative. Or [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] as a middle (by the way I think [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] would be an awesome sister to [name_f]Agatha[/name_f]).

Yes, they are similar, but I certainly think they can be siblings. I like the similarity.