I am becoming obsessed with Marjorie! Talk me off the ledge

So our girl shorlist consists of [name_f]Sofia[/name_f]/Sofie, [name_f]Brigid[/name_f], [name_f]Marina[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]/Sylvia and now… [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]. It is a family name, a saint name, vintage, classic, unusual, nature connection, it checks ALL my boxes. Husband is not a love but no hate for the name. I am becoming increasingly obsessed. Is this name too stuffy? ugly? formal? There are so many lovely girl names on my list. I don’t know if I should indulge myself or not. Thanks berries xo

1 Like

I love Marjorie! I’m always shocked when I see people call it middle-aged. The only one I’ve known of was a girl who was just the sweetest on a cycle of America’s Next Top Model and she made me fall in love with the name. I think it’s gorgeous!

1 Like

I love the name [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] (with that spelling)! I saw it in an old book of fairy tales and fell in love. It’s beautiful. It seems to check all of the boxes for you as well! Your husband’s opinion is more important than an Internet stranger’s, of course.

From your shortlist, I also love [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] and quite like [name_f]Sofia[/name_f] and [name_f]Marina[/name_f].

Good luck!

1 Like

I like [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] myself, but I would use it as a way to get to the nn [name_u]Jory[/name_u].

1 Like

Marjorie is so pretty! I like that it is a heard of name but not very common. And finding a name that checks all of your boxes is really important!

If I was trying to convince you not to use the name, I would say that the only people I have known with this name are certainly quite old. It looks like in the US, this name peaked in the 1920s and was relatively popular through the 40s and then started to fall. It looks like it actually had an uptick in popularity in 2014 and 2015 (from the 900s into the 700s in terms of most popular girls names), but then it went back down into the 900s and didn’t even make it to the top 1,000 in 2018 or 2019. So it does feel like a name that is maybe on the cusp of a comeback (and maybe you could help with that!) but isn’t quite there yet.

3 Likes

Oh Jorie is the cutest nickname!

2 Likes

I think it’s really sweet but if you want points against it then I would say if you would need to be ok with the nickname [name_f]Marge[/name_f]!

1 Like

I knew a really nice girl in school named [name_f]Margorie[/name_f]!
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you have any nicknames that you like for [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]?

I love [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] so much! It’s so soft, sweet, and warm but still has spunk and strength to it! It’s so lovely, I’m always surprised when anyone thinks it’s middle aged or stuffy. There’s a character named it in Game of Thrones (but spelt differently), and she made me fall in love with the name! because of her, the name feels young, bright, lively, and kind. Definitely nowhere near stuffy.
[name_u]Jory[/name_u] is a great nn option! I’ve also heard [name_f]Mae[/name_f] and [name_f]Mari[/name_f] be used!

1 Like

Marjorie is actually pretty cute! [name_f]My[/name_f] only problem is that it does sound a little like margarine. [name_f]Mari[/name_f] and [name_u]Jorie[/name_u] are really cute nicknames, that make it less formal. I like it!

1 Like

I’m coming to sit on the ledge with you! I hear and empathise with all of your reservations about [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f], yet I love it too! I love the sound of its 3 syllables. It feels like it has a nature vibe because of marjoram.
[name_f]My[/name_f] drawback, mentioned by @elleplume - I am not OK with the harsh sounding [name_f]Marge[/name_f]!
[name_f]Margie[/name_f], however, is lovely :grinning:

3 Likes

yes… I hate “[name_f]Marge[/name_f]” also… hmmmbut no name is completely flawless or will please everyone right?! :smiley:

1 Like

Absolutely!!!

1 Like

Indulge yourself! It’s a charming and interesting name

1 Like

I like [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]. I think has a pretty sound and it’s unusual. I know some people find it old-fashioned, but I personally don’t know any older women named [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] so I don’t have that association. For me, the only downside is the nickname [name_f]Marge[/name_f], which seems very tied to The Simpsons character.

1 Like

I won’t talk you off the ledge and rather I’ll scream “Jump!”

I do love [name_f]Brigid[/name_f] as well, though. You can’t go wrong with your shortlist really.

4 Likes

Ooh very interesting. I don’t really like [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] myself, but [name_u]Jory[/name_u] is a cute nickname and helps me see the appeal of the name!

Part of what normally turns me off the name is the more obvious [name_f]Marge[/name_f] nickname, which I only associate with the annoying voice of the Simpsons character.

1 Like

I’ve only known one [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f], who is close to my mother’s age, but she is such an amazing person, it gives me really good vibes about the name.

Especially with the nickname [name_u]Jorie[/name_u], I’m not sure how she’s any different than some of the other ‘old lady names’ that are so popular, other than that she’s just not heard as often.

2 Likes

Tbh, I do still find it very dated and a little stuffy. Plus, all I hear is margarine, so the sound it not very appealing to me personally. That said, if you love it and can convince your husband to love it, too, I don’t see any real reason you shouldn’t use it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I loved it, until S/O looked at me and went “you want to name our future daughter Margarine?!”

Now it’s ruined for me :joy:

1 Like