i could use some help with our FINAL decision... please :-)

i know i have posted on here ALOT lol. i hope you all will have patience with me as i ask you again for an opinion. you all have been a huge help in helping me narrow down my list. we are very confident we have found THE name in one of the 2 that we have chosen lol, problem is we are only having 1 baby and we are in love with 2 names. our little girl is due to arrive this october and our plan for now is to just bring both names to the hospital and see which “fits” her best. i guess thats ok, but we have always had our named picked out beforehand for our other children so it leaves me feeling a little unfinished. i just wanted to hear which name others prefer and why? maybe it will help? maybe it wont? but, i hope it will :wink: she will either be…

[name]Vida[/name] [name]Sofia[/name] (VEE-DUH)

OR

[name]Lena[/name] [name]Sofia[/name] ([name]LEE[/name]-[name]NUH[/name])

I would stay away from [name]Vida[/name] it is so unique and will forever be associated with matthew McConaughey’s daughter. I would especially not use it if you are not Latin.

I can’t remember your other kids’ names, and that would help me make a decision. I prefer [name]Vida[/name] [name]Sofia[/name] over [name]Lena[/name] [name]Sofia[/name] because, for starters, I think [name]Vida[/name] has less pronunciation issues (I would be inclined to say [name]Lena[/name] as [name]LAY[/name]-nuh, too.) and looks more substantial than [name]Lena[/name]. To me, [name]Lena[/name] is a nickname, perhaps for something like [name]Helena[/name] or [name]Elena[/name] or [name]Milena[/name], you know? [name]Lea[/name] or [name]Leia[/name] [name]Sofia[/name] would be nice…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

actually DH is latin and i am italian. also my boys names are [name]Carlos[/name] and [name]Xavier[/name] so we already have a latin feel to our names. my daughter is [name]Mia[/name] which is more of the italian side. also, i dont know of anyone who associates the name [name]Vida[/name] with matthew McConaughey? i certainly dont, but thats my opinion. i still love the name :wink:

The problem I have with both of these names is the pronounciation confusion. [name]Vida[/name] would be VY-dah to me and [name]Lena[/name] would be either LEH-nah or [name]LEE[/name]-nah. [name]Lena[/name] I feel wouldnt encounter a lot of pronounciation confusion but [name]Vida[/name] I think would.

However, I far prefer [name]Lena[/name] despite the prononciation confusion. [name]Lena[/name] is a beatuiful and strong name.

i just wanted to mention also, that i am aware that pronunciation of these names may be an issue. but, it doesnt bother us if we have to correct somebody. the correct pronunciation of the name [name]Lena[/name] in english is [name]LEEna[/name] and i think most people are familiar enough with that name, that it shouldnt be too much of an issue? [name]Vida[/name] may have more of an issue? maybe? idk bc we both read it the spanish way so i would never pronounce it any other way. but, i could see how it could get mispronounced. still though, its not an issue for us :wink:

I love [name]Vida[/name] [name]Sofia[/name] :slight_smile: It’s beautiful!

[name]Lena[/name] is the name of my great-grandmother! She was one of the most incredible women I’ve ever had the privilege of knowing. I even live in her house:)

They are both nice and go well with your other kids names. I can’t imagine pronouncing [name]Vida[/name] wrong, and I definitely don’t think the average person will think of [name]Matthew[/name] McConaughey’s daughter at all. I would pronounce [name]Lena[/name] LEHna the first time just because that’s what I’ve encountered most often, but once corrected I wouldn’t have any problems with it.

I prefer [name]Vida[/name] [name]Sofia[/name] because I think it stands out more, while not being weird. It’s a really pretty name. I also think it’s better with your other kids names, well, I don’t know if it’s better, [name]Lena[/name] works just as well, but I think [name]Vida[/name] is cooler with them.

[name]Ah[/name], sorry, I’m no help at all! Good luck with your decision, she will have a beautiful name!

P.S. I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Sofia[/name] spelled this way! Especially considering your heritage, great choice!

[name]Carlos[/name], [name]Xavier[/name], [name]Mia[/name] and [name]Lena[/name]!

Aww wow, hard choice as I [name]LOVE[/name] both names!!

And I don’t think you’ll have any real pronounciation issues with [name]Vida[/name]. With [name]Lena[/name] it’s kind fo expected as there are two accepted ways of pronouncing it but then it’s not that hard for people to get used to your way of pronouncing it. I prefer the [name]Lee[/name]-nuh pronounciation like [name]Lena[/name] Horne :slight_smile: Have you considered spelling it [name]Lina[/name], the more European way, to avoid the pronounciation problems?

That aside, I really find it hard to choose cos I genuinly love both names. I’d probably have to say [name]Lena[/name] is my fav (just) but [name]Vida[/name]'s fantastic too and at least you won’t have the pronounciation issues with that.

I’d probably choose [name]Carlos[/name], [name]Xavier[/name], [name]Mia[/name] and [name]Lina[/name] spelt that way to avoid problems!!

But honestly go with your gut instinct when she’s here. You can’t go wrong with either names or either spelling. Maybe one name will start standing out to you more the closer you get to your due date and start feeling like “her name”.

Best of luck and congrats!

yes, we actually have considered that spelling. that is the spelling i originally wanted. but, dh prefers [name]Lena[/name] so i gave him the spelling bc i pretty much hated all of his name suggestions lol. so i had to give him something! thanks for your input…

I prefer [name]Vida[/name]. To me, [name]Lena[/name] [name]Sofia[/name] sounds too much like the jewelry company [name]Lia[/name] [name]Sophia[/name].

[name]Lena[/name]!

[name]Vida[/name]!

Definitely [name]Vida[/name]! I love [name]Vida[/name] with your other kids names, and its a beautiful name! And many congratulations!

[name]Love[/name] [name]Lena[/name]! One of my friends named her daughter [name]Lena[/name]. She is a very stylish girl.

haha! thanks all. although it seems to be pretty split in half lol, which doesnt help at all :frowning: guess we will have to wait and see what she looks like.