I don't want to tell friends/family - but I'll tell you!!

I don’t think [name]Satchel[/name] will make people think “bag” esp. in the U.S. I’ve never heard anyone call a bag a “satchel” and I’ve heard of [name]Satchel[/name] [name]Paige[/name] despite my dislike of sports - I think it’s a safe bet that most people will “get” the reference.

For what it’s worth, I knew a [name]Satchel[/name] in high school who was good looking, athletic and very popular, so the name doesn’t make me think of bags at all.
Sometimes it takes a person to take a name from paper to reality. I’m sure if you choose it for your son, people will think of your son (or the baseball player) and not of a bag.

So my husband’s issue with the name [name]Satchel[/name] has nothing to do with “bag” – he thinks the kid will get teased because of [name]Satchel[/name] --> [name]Satch[/name] --> Sack -->(sorry to be crude) Balls Sa…

This of course did not occur to me LOL – must be a guy thing. Any guys on here? Your thoughts?

I am also recently having issues the difficulty of making [name]Isis[/name] possessive, as in “That is [name]Isis[/name]'s shirt” - [name]Isis[/name]'s is challenging to say, but I suppose the name [name]Frances[/name] and any other name ending in “s” has the same problem. Can anyone comment on their experience with this?

Thanks so much!! Now that I am 33 weeks everyone is telling me the baby could realistically come at any time and this is all become alittle more urgent!!

The names ending in s possessive can be [name]Isis[/name]‘s, or [name]Isis[/name]’ and consistent with the rule within a document. I looked that up for my boss once, but I cannot find evidence of this rule. Most grammar sites seem to prefer [name]Isis[/name]’ but most I looked at say either is ok. I think if there’s one [name]Isis[/name], it should be [name]Isis[/name]‘s to distinguish this singular possessive usage from plural possession which would be, e.g. businesses’ vacation policies unless the plural doesn’t end with an s (or x or z), like children’s theatre.

I’m sure someone who is actually a teacher knows this rule better than I do.

I also think he is overthinking the [name]Satchel[/name] thing there. [name]Just[/name] a bit. Kids can be mean and clever, but that’s really … far out. That reminds me of the [name]Nicolas[/name] Cage sketch that was on [name]Saturday[/name] [name]Night[/name] Live where he shoots down all kinds of ordinary names. SNL Transcripts: Nicolas Cage: 09/26/92: Baby Names - SNL Transcripts Tonight

[name]Briar[/name] and [name]Finn[/name]…sooo cute!!!

[name]Karen[/name] - thanks for the thorough answer but my concern had nothing to do with the correct grammatical spelling but instead with how it sounded:

[name]Isis[/name]'s - so many esses. [name]Lord[/name] help the poor girl if she has a lisp.

That’s why I wanted to hear from folks who are named, or who named their kid, [name]Frances[/name] etc.

I think your husband has overthought [name]Satchel[/name] just a little bit …
But I can definitely see the problem with [name]Isis[/name]'s - isisisisisis … [name]Alice[/name]'s is fine to say, but there aren’t quite so many ‘s’ sounds. [name]Frances[/name]'s is a little difficult, too.