I feel bad changing the baby's name :(

Okay so I’ll try to make a long story short. DH and I were set on Jillian for a couple months. My parents wanted to know the name so bad so they could start calling her by a name. We told them it was Jillian and at the time thought it was. They’ve been calling her Jillian And I started silently doubting the choice. My DH hasn’t really been keen on talking about names till this last week, now that I’m 10 days away from my scheduled c section grrrr. Jillian was the name we mutually loved so I figured that was probably that. I told him while I love it for some reason it doesn’t feel like the one. I gave him my personal uncompromised top 10 and he liked Elowen and Eve. Now after thinking about it and using them for a couple days he says he likes Elowen better than Jillian and likes Eve also. So now I want to go with Elowen or Eve since my DH is liking both. My DH is totally fine with the change and I know that’s the most important thing to me. I just feel so bad that my family now associates her with Jillian. How should I handle this? This is our first baby and I feel like I made a rookie mistake by announcing a name too soon.

Go with what you love! You parents will get used to the new name. Especially once she’s here and they hold her and call her by the name you’ve chosen, that’ll be what they associate her with.
I love [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] btw :slight_smile:

Oh definitely not too late to change! [name_u]Baby[/name_u]'s not even here yet! I’m sure your family will understand. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t wait till it really is too late and then you’re having regrets.

oh please go with what you love. We have thought we had our daughter’s name picked out so many times only to decide we like something better. This has happened with all 5 of our kids. Once the baby is born and given a name, everyone will start to associate the baby with that name and all the other names will be forgotten :slight_smile:

They will definitely get used to the change quickly once your baby arrives! I’m sure with a new grandchild, and your first child, to be excited about they really won’t be bothered by the name change. And for what it’s worth, I like both [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] and [name_f]Eve[/name_f] a whole lot more than [name_f]Jillian[/name_f]. Both are so gorgeous!

Definitely use what you love. They will quickly adjust to a new name.

Thanks so much for the supportive words. They really help. I do love [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] and [name_f]Eve[/name_f] more. [name_f]Jillian[/name_f] was a lovely compromise. However I am so happy DH is loving two of my top favorites now. I think just now that its getting closer he’s starting to put more focused thought into her name. I’m sure changing it seems like a bigger now and it will quickly be forgotten. It’s nice to hear I’m not the only one to change my mind a few times. My DH said I could probably get away with any name I want after birthing a his baby if I say “awe she looks like a ________” through tears of joy LOL

[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] is actually quite close to [name_f]Jillian[/name_f]! Three syllables, middle ‘L’, and ends in ‘N’! Go for it!

Definitely go for it!! I agree with all the PPs - I’m sure this will all be ok. [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] and [name_f]Eve[/name_f] are beautiful and I personally prefer them to [name_f]Jillian[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

[name_f]Elowen[/name_f] is a beautiful name! I would definitely go with what you want, I’m sure your parents will understand the reason for the change :slight_smile:

Agreed, definitely not too late. If your parents reallllly like [name_f]Jillian[/name_f] and dislike the other choices they may try to convince you to go with [name_f]Jillian[/name_f], but once the baby is here and named they’ll be just fine

Not too late at all!! Go with what you love! <3

Oh my goodness, we changed our minds so many times! We actually didn’t even choose a name from our top 3 once she was born. Go with what you love and what you feel is best for your sweet girl! [name_u]LOVE[/name_u], [name_u]LOVE[/name_u], [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Elowen[/name_f]!!!

Thank you!

Yes I can see my mom trying to convince me I’ll just have to be strong :slight_smile:

This feels like a big deal now, but it will be a faint and distant memory for all of you before you know it. There are so many things in life that loom large in the moment, but dissipate into the air in no time. Like spilling a jug of milk that flows all over the kitchen and under your refrigerator. It seems like the worst thing at the moment, but once it is all cleaned up, life goes on and you barely remember it. Or a fender bender. A big deal in the moment, but it soon becomes ancient history. This situation, too, will pass. Go with the name you love best!! You don’t want to end up with true name regret after it’s too late to do anything about it.

I especially love [name_f]Eve[/name_f], but both [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] and [name_f]Eve[/name_f] are great names! I am not a big fan of [name_f]Jillian[/name_f].

This decision belongs to you and your husband – and nobody else. It should reflect the name you want to be saying everyday for the rest of your lives. Go with your heart!

Go with [name_f]Eve[/name_f] or [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] if that’s what you love more. You just need to explain it to them and I am sure your family will get used to the new name. Good luck! :slight_smile:

I think a simple “the name [name_f]Jillian[/name_f] didn’t feel right to us after all, we like [name_f]Elowen[/name_f]/[name_f]Eve[/name_f] a lot more” should cut it. Your parents might want you to reconsider, but they were the ones that pushed you to tell them :slight_smile: Go with what you love. You’ll have to use it for a long time and you don’t want to regret it later.

Face the brief awkwardness! A friend of mine announced her baby’s name several months before the birth, at her family’s eager insistence, and felt confident because it was a name she’d liked for a long time. After thinking about it more, she wanted to change it to something less popular, but her family had already purchased baby and nursery gifts customized with the name. So she went with the original name to avoid upsetting everyone and still has some regrets about it years later.

@kirby did you decide on a name? :slight_smile: