I feel like the biggest idiot ever asking this lol.....

[name]How[/name] do you pronounce [name]Callum[/name]?

[name]CAL[/name] (kind of like COW ha)—UM

Ok now I don’t feel so much like an idiot lol. That’s what I originally thought. Then tonight on tv I thought I heard someone by the name of [name]Kay[/name]-lum which caused my to question if I had been pronouncing [name]Callum[/name] correctly lol. Thanks! :slight_smile:

[name]Both[/name] are common pronunciations. I believe [name]KAY[/name]-lum is much more common in the UK–every time I mention loving [name]Caleb[/name] to anyone in the UK, they always say, “It sounds like someone saying [name]Calum[/name]/[name]Callum[/name] with the flu!” Which I totally didn’t get until I heard the [name]KAY[/name]-lum pronunciation. It’s pretty much exclusively said as [name]CAL[/name]-um in the US, though. Although there is the Disney actor, [name]Calum[/name] [name]Worthy[/name] (said the British/UK way)…

Haha and that is where I thought I heard the pronunciations [name]Kay[/name]-lum, on the Disney channel now I really don’t feel crazy!!! Thanks so much!! :slight_smile:

I knew a [name]Callum[/name] from [name]Ireland[/name], an older guy, and it was basically [name]Kay[/name]-lum. But it was a little shorter, a little closer to American [name]Cal[/name] - um (kind of like [name]Calvin[/name]). Sort of Keh-lum, if you will.

I am Scottish and [name]Callum[/name] is a Scottish name. Brits do not pronounce the name [name]Kay[/name]-lum. They do in fact pronounce it as [name]CAL[/name] - UM. Same, as you say, in the states. Or at least that how the Scottish pronounce it. Maybe you just hear it differently with the accent. Or maybe its becoming both ways due to personal preference, but the correct way to say it is [name]CAL[/name]-UM.

The only time I’ve heard the name spoken was on the “All Creatures Great & Small” TV show, produced in [name]Britain[/name]. [name]One[/name] of the vets was named [name]Callum[/name], and it was always pronounced [name]Cal[/name]-um, as in [name]Calvin[/name]. No Cow, or [name]Kay[/name].

I’m from the UK and I have never heard the [name]Kay[/name]-lum pronunciation for [name]Callum[/name], you’d get weird looks over here if you started talking about a [name]Callum[/name] and saying his name as [name]Kay[/name]-lum. [name]Caleb[/name] is [name]Kay[/name]-leb, yes, but [name]Callum[/name] isn’t [name]Kay[/name]-lum, it’s [name]Cal[/name] (rhymes with shall) um. I’m from a totally different part of the UK to Marshalla and it seems we both say it the same way, albeit likely with accent differences but nothing as distinctly different as Kaylum.

I have heard [name]Cal[/name]-um for [name]Callum[/name].

And [name]Kay[/name]-lum for Caelum.

[name]Ca[/name] - lum is the only way I have ever heard the name pronounced.

I was just going off of people I know from the UK personally. Granted, that’s not a lot, but since all of them say [name]Callum[/name] as [name]KAY[/name]-lum I just figured that was the more accepted pronunciation there.

[name]Kay[/name]-lum, I’m in canada - this seems to be the more common way

[name]Just[/name] checked this name for pronunciation on Forvo, the online pronunciation source. They give two pronunciations, but both are [name]Cal[/name]-lum, as in [name]Calvin[/name].

I would be shocked to hear someone from the UK pronounce [name]Callum[/name] as [name]Kay[/name]-lum. It’s [name]CAL[/name]-lum.

Wow, now my head is turned around. I never imagined there was a pronunciation other that cal-rhymes-with-shall-um. So people here know those who PERSONALLY say kay-lum? And where are they from? And do THEY know what they’re talking about or are they maybe mispronouncing the name too? Or am I woefully misinformed? And now cow-lum, that really threw me…

I did see the Irish writer [name]Colm[/name] Toibin speak a few years ago and learned his name is pronounced [name]COLL[/name]-um, with the coll sounding like the first syllable of [name]Molly[/name] or [name]Polly[/name]. Last name, toe-BEAN.

from canada here- only every heard it as [name]CAL[/name]-um

Same here!

I say [name]CAL[/name]-um. PP mentioned Caelum though - I know someone who has a son with this name and I would say this is kay-lum. Though I don’t know how she pronounces it (never heard it spoken, only written).

I’ve never actually heard the name spoken before, but my mind says [name]CAL[/name]-um. I can see the argument for [name]KAY[/name]-lum, but COW-lum? I’m a tad confused.