I give up - I'm not naming my daughter! Do you want to?

I am the epitome of a crazy pregnant woman these days, and this name thing is not helping!!! Originally I had liked the name [name]Layla[/name], but there are spelling issues since my husband’s family speaks Spanish. I don’t like [name]Leila[/name] because I have read post after post on the internet of the name being mispronounced and I’d rather not deal with that. He contends that his family won’t know what to do with “[name]Layla[/name]”, so I am afraid we will have to scrap it. [name]Will[/name] you help? I am very open to suggestions!!!

My older DD is [name]Sophie[/name] [name]Esperanza[/name] and I love her name - here’s why: I love the international/multi-cultural appeal of [name]Sophie[/name] and I love that [name]Esperanza[/name] is clearly a Spanish name and has a great meaning. This is the type of combination I am looking for for DD #2. Our last name ends in -ia, so there aren’t a lot of -ia names that will work with it without sounding sing songy.

I’m really giving up. Maybe your name suggestions will inspire me? [name]TIA[/name]…

Let’s find a first name first…

[name]Rosa[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Lucinda[/name]
[name]Rosalind[/name]
[name]Elena[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name]
[name]Sierra[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name] (I like it better than [name]Blanca[/name])
[name]Amaya[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name]
[name]Carys[/name]
[name]Eliana[/name]
[name]Cosima[/name]
[name]Estella[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Priya[/name]
[name]Katia[/name]
[name]Marini[/name]
[name]Odette[/name]
[name]Oriana[/name]
[name]Orla[/name]
[name]Samara[/name]
[name]Tatiana[/name]
[name]Zora[/name]

Of [name]Rica[/name]'s suggestions, I think [name]Rosa[/name], [name]Julia[/name], [name]Bianca[/name] and [name]Eliana[/name] are beautiful with [name]Sophie[/name]. I love [name]Natalia[/name] as well.

Some middle names to go with these (sorry for the completely random choices. I wasn’t sure of your naming style):

[name]Rosa[/name] [name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Rosa[/name] [name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Rosa[/name] [name]Lorelei[/name]
[name]Rosa[/name] [name]Sandrine[/name]
[name]Rosa[/name] [name]Naomi[/name]
[name]Rosa[/name] [name]Mirabel[/name]/le

[name]Julia[/name] [name]Esmeralda[/name] (too close to [name]Esperanza[/name]?)
[name]Julia[/name] [name]Rachelle[/name]
[name]Julia[/name] [name]Elisabeth[/name]
[name]Julia[/name] [name]Tiziana[/name]

Biana [name]Eleanora[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name] [name]Letizia[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name] [name]Lilliana[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name] [name]Carmen[/name]

[name]Eliana[/name] [name]Rebecca[/name]
[name]Eliana[/name] [name]Isabelle[/name]
[name]Eliana[/name] [name]Estelle[/name]
[name]Eliana[/name] [name]Lucrezia[/name]

I love [name]Sophie[/name] [name]Esperanza[/name]. Other names that I think could go with [name]Sophie[/name], and have an international flair are:
[name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Isabelle[/name]
[name]Carmen[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Maribel[/name]
[name]Mila[/name]
[name]Maya[/name]
[name]Lola[/name]
[name]Lyra[/name]
[name]Lyla[/name]

As for middle names, when I first saw [name]Esperanza[/name] I was immediately reminded of my “spanish name” in college - [name]Milagros[/name]. (The entire spanish class was given spanish names to use instead of their real names.) [name]Milagros[/name] in spanish means miracle. I think [name]Graciana[/name] would be pretty too. [name]Graciana[/name] means grace.

[name]Darla[/name] [name]Rocio[/name]
[name]Mia[/name] [name]Angelica[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name] [name]Paz[/name]

[name]Isabel[/name]
[name]Elodia[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name]
[name]Eloisa[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Maia[/name]
[name]Aria[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Sara[/name]
[name]Carmen[/name]
[name]Francisca[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Astrid[/name]
[name]Silvia[/name]
[name]Lidia[/name]
[name]Eliana[/name]
[name]Linnea[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]

[name]Marina[/name]
[name]Martina[/name] (nn [name]Marti[/name])
[name]Mariana[/name]
[name]Marlena[/name]/[name]Marlene[/name] (nn [name]Marley[/name] or [name]Lena[/name])
[name]Catalina[/name] (nn [name]Cate[/name], [name]Cat[/name] or [name]Lina[/name])

(I like girl names that start with [name]Mar[/name]… can you tell?!)

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

I’m sorry you’re having trouble thinking of a name. Here are some ideas to go with [name]Sophie[/name] [name]Esperanza[/name] which is such a lovely name!

[name]Anna[/name] [name]Graciela[/name] - both [name]Anna[/name] and [name]Graciela[/name] mean “grace” so this name combo is a double scoop of grace.
[name]Bianca[/name] [name]Lourdes[/name]
[name]Gemma[/name] [name]Catalina[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name]
not finished - just saving what I’ve already written.

I’m sorry this situation is causing you so much stress :frowning:

The only [name]Sophie[/name] I know has an older sister named [name]Charlotte[/name], but I’m not thinking that is the name you are looking for. Here are some I’d pair with [name]Sophie[/name]…

[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Alana[/name]
[name]Cara[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Emma[/name]
[name]Estee[/name]
[name]Eliana[/name]
[name]Giselle[/name]
[name]Hannah[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Jenna[/name]
[name]Jada[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Lana[/name]
[name]Mara[/name]
[name]Maia[/name]
[name]Nina[/name]
[name]Nena[/name]
[name]Rosa[/name]
[name]Sara[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]

[name]Do[/name] any of these appeal to you?

Here are some Spanish middle names:

[name]Adabella[/name] - “lovely”
[name]Catalina[/name] - “pure”
[name]Dorotea[/name] - “gift of God”
[name]Graciela[/name] - “grace”

My favorites with [name]Sophie[/name] [name]Esperanza[/name] ([name]Sophie[/name], “wisdom,” and [name]Esperanza[/name], “hope”) are:

[name]Cara[/name] [name]Dorotea[/name] ([name]Cara[/name], “dear,” and [name]Dorotea[/name], “gift of God”) - The only problem here is there are a lot of A sounds, especially with your last name!

[name]Giselle[/name] [name]Catalina[/name] ([name]Giselle[/name], “pledge,” and [name]Catalina[/name], “pure”) - The name [name]Giselle[/name] is slightly more unique than [name]Sophie[/name], so I don’t know if you will like that…

[name]Lucy[/name] [name]Adabella[/name] ([name]Lucy[/name], “light,” and [name]Adabella[/name], “lovely”) - This is my absolute favorite first name with [name]Sophie[/name]. [name]Lucy[/name] and [name]Sophie[/name] have the same modern feel with classic elegance and feminine simplicity. I also like how [name]Lucy[/name] has an ending that will work well with your last name. I love it! You could pair it with any Spanish middle name of significance to you…

Best of luck!

I love [name]Sophie[/name] [name]Esperanza[/name]! :slight_smile:

Names with an international feel to me, like [name]Sophie[/name]:

[name]Amelie[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Amandine[/name]
[name]Arabella[/name]/[name]Arabelle[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Camilla[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Delia[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Evelina[/name]
[name]Eliana[/name]
[name]Elena[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Isabel[/name] (popular)
[name]Juliana[/name]
[name]Liliana[/name]
[name]Lilia[/name]
[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Marielle[/name]
[name]Mariana[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Simone[/name]/[name]Simona[/name] (S theme, though)
[name]Raphaelle[/name]
[name]Talia[/name]

Names that remind me of [name]Esperanza[/name]:

[name]Annabella[/name]
[name]Antonina[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name]
[name]Camila[/name]
[name]Catalina[/name]
[name]Clementina[/name]
[name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Elena[/name]
[name]Eliana[/name]
[name]Eloisa[/name]
[name]Eviana[/name]
[name]Evangelina[/name]
[name]Graciana[/name]
[name]Leonor[/name]
[name]Liliana[/name]
[name]Livinia[/name]
[name]Lucinda[/name]
[name]Magdalena[/name]
Marisola
[name]Mariposa[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name] (I love [name]Paloma[/name]!)
[name]Rafaela[/name]
[name]Rosalinda[/name]
[name]Serafina[/name]
[name]Viviana[/name]
[name]Valentina[/name]

[name]Liliana[/name], [name]Lila[/name], and [name]Lilia[/name] remind me most of [name]Laila[/name].

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

[name]Pilar[/name]
[name]Nieves[/name]
[name]Carmen[/name]
[name]Mercedes[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Catalina[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Andrea[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Genoveva[/name]
[name]Dolores[/name]
[name]Maria[/name]
[name]Isabella[/name]
[name]Marina[/name]
[name]Marisol[/name]
[name]Margarita[/name]

I think you should name your daughter [name]Layla[/name]. So what if his family has trouble with the name at first? They can learn, can’t they? It won’t kill them.

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful suggestions!!! There are so many that I love that I can’t use - either because hubby has already vetoed them, or because we have family or friends with those names.

I have been carefully combing through them and right now I think my favorite first names are [name]Elena[/name] and [name]Clara[/name]. I am not taking [name]Layla[/name] off my list, but if DH feels really strongly against that spelling I will let it go. It’s all about choosing my battles, and I prefer we both feel good about our choice! I really liked [name]Mariana[/name] and [name]Mara[/name], too, but the name meaning (“bitter”) made them fall further down the list for me…

There are so many middle names I like: [name]Graciana[/name], [name]Graciela[/name], [name]Milagros[/name], [name]Pilar[/name], [name]Paloma[/name], [name]Isabel[/name], [name]Viviana[/name], [name]Karina[/name], [name]Liliana[/name] - this is going to be a tough decision!

I don’t really understand, so if someone could please explain what Spanish-speaking people don’t “get” about [name]Layla[/name]? Is it because it is not a Latin name or do they really not know how to say it? Or does it “translate” poorly, sound like another unfortunate word or meaningless phrase (him the)? I think the potential for [name]Leila[/name] to be mispronounced is not too high or worrisome to me, but then I am not filled with pregnancy hormones, and [name]Layla[/name] is great also. It kind of bums me out when nice people find the perfect name and then someone makes it into a big problem for them, they have to look for something else. I don’t know for sure, but I think Spanish-speaking people can learn to say [name]Layla[/name] and get used to it. That’s my suggestion, but it may not be practical. Good luck!

Yea! I’m glad you found some potential names! I love your finalists, and the flow of [name]Elena[/name] [name]Pilar[/name]!

I can also see [name]Isabel[/name], [name]Viviana[/name], and [name]Paloma[/name] (actually, most of your middles) as first names with [name]Sophie[/name], especially [name]Isabel[/name]. A poster named [name]Susan[/name] once came up with [name]Lola[/name] as a nickname for [name]Paloma[/name].
:slight_smile:

Good luck!

I love [name]Elena[/name], [name]Clara[/name], [name]Mariana[/name], [name]Mara[/name] for firsts and think they are cute with [name]Sophie[/name]. I also think [name]Laura[/name] would be cute? I like [name]Laura[/name] [name]Isabel[/name] but but think [name]Laura[/name] [name]Milagros[/name] goes really well with [name]Sophie[/name] [name]Esperanza[/name]

I like [name]Elena[/name], but I don’t think you should give up [name]Leila[/name]/ [name]Layla[/name] if you love it.

Personally, I don’t think you’ll have any pn issues with [name]Leila[/name]. And if you really would rather spell it [name]Layla[/name], then so be it. There is no reason why you should base the spelling of YOUR daughter’s name solely on whether or not his family can pn it. Also, my neighbor’s daughter is named [name]Layla[/name], spelled that way, and they are a hispanic family - the father is Mexican and the mother is Puerto Rican. No one has a hard time pn’ing her name.

Good luck!

[/quote]

I’m sorry you’re having trouble thinking of a name. Here are some ideas to go with [name]Sophie[/name] [name]Esperanza[/name] which is such a lovely name!

[name]Anna[/name] [name]Graciela[/name] - both [name]Anna[/name] and [name]Graciela[/name] mean “grace” so this name combo is a double scoop of grace.
[name]Bianca[/name] [name]Lourdes[/name]
[name]Gemma[/name] [name]Catalina[/name]
[name]Julia[/name] [name]Angelina[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Luisa[/name]
[name]Veronica[/name] [name]Luz[/name]
not finished - just saving what I’ve already written.

Later: I finished this post and posted it. It never went through. Maddening. Okay I will go back and finish it again.
[name]Love[/name] [name]Clara[/name]!

[name]Clara[/name] [name]Paciencia[/name] - love it!
[name]Clara[/name] [name]Palmira[/name]
[name]Clara[/name] [name]Penelopa[/name]

[name]Love[/name] [name]Paloma[/name]!
[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Barbara[/name] - oh, oh, excuse me while I die of happiness. This name is gorgeous. Makes me think of the [name]Santa[/name] [name]Barbara[/name] mission.
[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Benedicta[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Berenicia[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Carlota[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Cruz[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Delores[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Elena[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Elisabeta[/name] - beautiful
[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Fe[/name] - gutsy
[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Honora[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Jacinta[/name] - sweet
[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Josefina[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Lourdes[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Magdalena[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Rosalia[/name] - lovely
[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Rosario[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Santos[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Susana[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Teresa[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Valentina[/name] - [name]Love[/name] it!
[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Viviana[/name]

I love [name]Clara[/name]!

My husband and his family are also Spanish. They are not thrilled over [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Claire[/name] [name]Juliette[/name] (actually questioned why we were giving her a french name, when my family has a lot of french- LOL!)- and have problems pronouncing many of my other Children’s names ([name]Jonah[/name], [name]Isaiah[/name] for exsample.) One of our daughters has the middle name [name]Soledad[/name] (after DH’s mom)- this made them happy, and my family hated it… we are having baby 8, and have decided in the end it is up to what DH and I like, not who can pronounce the name better. I still have my doubts time to time, DH’s family has really pushed for [name]Sophia[/name] and not [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Claire[/name]. Well… DH actually likes [name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Claire[/name] better (and i usually pop on here to get opinions, this helps me!)
All this to say, I think it is awesome that you are taking them into consideration, and I know you know in the end- it is what makes both you and DH happy that is important.

I love [name]Layla[/name]. Some other names I thought of to go with [name]Sophie[/name] (She has such a beautiful name, btw =0) )
[name]Marie[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Isabel[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name] (this is my favorite match with [name]Sophie[/name]!!)

Try not to stress it!! Good [name]Luck[/name]!!