I hate my name because its plain, thinking about changing it?

You see, my story has no story behind it and its very simple. My name is [name]Ashley[/name] [name]Ann[/name]. Whenever I ask my mom why she picked my name she says all her favorite names were taken by her friends and this was the only one left. I really hate that I don’t have a cool story to tell my friends when we talk about names so I have a few questions.

1. [name]Do[/name] you like my name? please be honest

2. Does anyone else have a simple name or a name without a story?

3. I’ve been dating this guy for a while I met at camp, we clicked since the first time we met, and my call sign at camp was Rubia. If me and him end up getting married should I change my middle name to Rubia so I can have a story behind it? (please nobody tell me we probably won’t last this ws already a consideration)

4. Lastly, I was wondering would you change your mind if your babies name meant from the ash tree like mine?

Thanks for the input, no one around here is into names like me :slight_smile:

Honestly, I never really viewed [name]Ashley[/name] as boring but now I do because there are just so many of them, the numbers are astounding. It doesnt help that [name]Ann[/name] is also very well used. So yes it is plain, although the two sound nice together. I think you should take your time if your going to change your name and make sure you really love the new name. It wouldnt bother me that it means ash tree, does it you? If you need a new spin on [name]Ashley[/name], what about Ashna, [name]Ashtyn[/name], [name]Asa[/name] pronounced [name]Ace[/name]-ah, or even [name]Asher[/name]? I’ve met a young girl named [name]Asher[/name] before.

The original names were [name]Maggie[/name], [name]Brooke[/name], and [name]Samantha[/name], all taken by her friends during my pregnancy and I do like [name]Ashtyn[/name] better than [name]Ashley[/name]

1. [name]Do[/name] you like my name? please be honest
    I’m honestly not a big fan of the name [name]Ashley[/name], I went to school with a dozen of them and it always felt a little uninteresting to me. (Sorry!) I know another [name]Ashley[/name] who is planning to change her name to her middle name ([name]Grace[/name]) which she far prefers.

2. Does anyone else have a simple name or a name without a story?
    No, but I almost did! My mother just sort of picked a couple names she liked and strung them together, my father was the one who suggested using the two family names I ended up with (and love)

3. I’ve been dating this guy for a while I met at camp, we clicked since the first time we met, and my call sign at camp was Rubia. If me and him end up getting married should I change my middle name to Rubia so I can have a story behind it? (please nobody tell me we probably won’t last this ws already a consideration)
    I like the idea of giving yourself a more meaningful middle. Would you take his surname if you got married though? (Maybe too far away to plan I know…) If so, I think I’d like the idea of something personally meaningful to you so 2/3 of your name isnt in your relationship. [name]Ruby[/name] is lovely though! [name]Ashley[/name] [name]Ruby[/name].

4. Lastly, I was wondering would you change your mind if your babies name meant from the ash tree like mine?
    Haha, I dont care too too much about meanings and I dont mind [name]Ash[/name] trees, but I do distinctly remember in my second grade class when my teacher printed out a sheet with all the names in the class and what they meant. All these great meanings, I scroll down to my name ([name]Caroline[/name]) and it says “[name]Little[/name]” ([name]Little[/name]?? They sometimes get “little and feminine” from the fact that [name]Charles[/name] can mean manly, but I’ve never seen “[name]Little[/name]” as the meaning since). I was one rather devastated “little” eight year old. Probably the only day I’ve ever hated my name!

I hope you get to a better place with your name! [name]Remember[/name] that even though it wasnt special to your mom at the time, I bet it’s very meaningful to her now because it’s YOUR name.

Maybe find a nickname you like? A.A. arent the best initials to go by, haha, but maybe something like [name]Ace[/name]? I know an [name]Asha[/name] and think that’s rather pretty too.

1. Well, from one [name]Ashley[/name] to another, I have to say I love your name! :slight_smile: I have had much of the same struggles as you… my whole family has FNs that somehow relate to the Bible, and they’re all named after family (every single one of them!), but I’m just boring old [name]Ashley[/name] [name]Marie[/name]. I kind of have an interesting story to my name in that my parents couldn’t choose between 3 names, and when they tried them all on me, the only one I didn’t protest to was [name]Ashley[/name], so that was my name (funny enough, for years I would have preferred those other two names!). But they just liked [name]Ashley[/name], and they just picked [name]Marie[/name] because it “sounded good”. I don’t understand why giving me my mom’s name, or one of my grandmother’s names, would have been so hard. I think [name]Ashley[/name] [name]Karen[/name] or [name]Ashley[/name] [name]Grace[/name] or even [name]Ashley[/name] [name]Arlene[/name] would have sounded fine, lol. Growing up, I had always promised I would change my name and I would go on and on to anyone who would listen about how I hated my name. I’m not even sure why. I hated the association (still do) of [name]Marie[/name] [name]Antoinette[/name], and that [name]Marie[/name] is so filler, and [name]Ashley[/name] never seemed very pretty or sweet to me. But slowly, I’ve come around to my name and I love the natural aspect to it, [name]Ashley[/name] just suits me. I’ve really come to love [name]Ashley[/name], even though I’m not terribly keen on the unisex part (my uncle and his brother are [name]Bruce[/name] [name]Ashley[/name] and [name]Ashley[/name] [name]Bruce[/name], for crying out loud!). I still don’t love [name]Marie[/name] but I’ve come around to it. It’s just not worth it to change it, for me, and like it or not (most days I do like it, haha), [name]Ashley[/name] [name]Marie[/name] suits me. I actually like your full name a lot more than mine–while I like [name]Ashley[/name] [name]Marie[/name], I don’t like that it’s rhymey and I still pretty much hate [name]Marie[/name]. I’ve always loved [name]Ann/name (especially since a dear friend of mine has that as a FN–I have such good associations with it!), and [name]Ashley[/name] [name]Ann[/name] just seems so sweet to me. As an [name]Ashley[/name], it doesn’t seem boring to me at all, haha, I expected you to post something like [name]Jane[/name] or [name]Margaret[/name] or [name]Judith[/name], lol. I just make all these weird connections, like since it means “ash tree meadow” or whatever, I think of beautiful nature or a beautiful meadow in [name]England[/name] surrounded by trees, and when I think of nature, I think of the God I have devoted my life to serving, and when I think of [name]Ashley[/name], I think of the great Englishman [name]George[/name] Mueller who ran an orphanage called [name]Ashley[/name] Downs and put his faith utterly in God, and those orphans were never in want and they always saw the power of God… I don’t think I’m boring at all, haha, and I’m an [name]Ashley[/name]. :slight_smile: Sometimes you just have to come into your name. Maybe you can make associations to it that’ll mean a lot to you, too. Not necessarily the ones I’ve made, but other ones that will make you love your name even more. You could maybe play around with nns, too–while I’ve been writing I thought of [name]Ash[/name], [name]Lee[/name], [name]Lea[/name] (like [name]Leah[/name]–my sister is [name]Natalie[/name], and her nn for a while was [name]Lia[/name]/[name]Lea[/name]/[name]Leah[/name]…), [name]Liana[/name] (like a smoosh of [name]Lee[/name] and [name]Ann[/name]–[name]Liana[/name] (lee-ah-nah) is a bit more modern than [name]LeeAnn[/name]. :)), [name]Annie[/name], etc. I would have loved being an [name]Annie[/name], I think that’s really sweet.

2. Ha, I think I answered all your questions in number 1, lol. Yes.

3. I think that Rubia could be very meaningful and sweet! If you do get married, it might be sort of nice to change your name, but I’ve grown to love [name]Ashley[/name] enough that I wouldn’t change my name. I had thought of it, a while ago, to change my name to [name]Ashley[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Grace[/name] once I get married, but I don’t think I will. It’d be such a hassle! Maybe it could just be a special nickname from your boyfriend (or husband, if things work out!).

4. Nope. As I said earlier, I love the natural connections to the meaning of [name]Ashley[/name]. I think ash trees are very regal and gorgeous trees, I would (and do!) embrace that about my name. If it weren’t for the unisex thing, and if I weren’t [name]Ashley[/name] already, I would probably consider it because I love it that much now!

Good luck! I hope you can find a solution to your worries. :slight_smile:

I actually think [name]Ashley[/name] is a pretty name. I can think of far, far worse (and I like it better than your friends’ names!)

Honestly, I wouldn’t change my name at this point in my life, if I were you. I don’t think it matters that it has a cool ‘story’ behind it; your mom chose it because she thought it was pretty enough for her baby girl, and that’s enough of a story. :slight_smile:

1. I do like the name [name]Ashley[/name] a lot, but it’s very common sounding to me now. I still like it though and have it on my middle name list. [name]Ann[/name] is just boring to me though. I see no appeal in it at all, however [name]Anna[/name] is prettier.

2. No, I don’t really. Mine has more story to how it ended up on the name list. And my middles as well.

3. Eh, no. I wouldn’t change my middle name based on relationship, even if it’s a solid life long one.

4. Not at all. [name]Ash[/name] and cinders have a lot of meaning for me, so the [name]Ash[/name] Tree meaning is just fine by me. :wink:

I think [name]Ashley[/name] is a lovely name, you should like it. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the replys you guys, its meant a lot to me, I’ve put all them into a consideration

1. [name]Ashley[/name] [name]Ann[/name] is very plain. At my high school the name [name]Ashley[/name] has become a joke, because we use “Trashley [name]Ashley[/name]” as a term to describe, well, a trashy girl i.e. “she’s such a Trashley [name]Ashley[/name].” That’s my first thought when I hear the name [name]Ashley[/name], but I don’t hold that against anyone. My second thought is [name]Ashley[/name] [name]Wilkes[/name] in Gone With the Wind. I just don’t find the name [name]Ashley[/name] attractive at all. It wreaks of the 90s.

2. My name was chosen because my parents loved it. That’s a good enough reason for me. My sister’s name, [name]Sarah[/name], was chosen at the last minute. She was originally going to be [name]Charlotte[/name], but our great-grandfather ([name]Charlie[/name]) died a few months before she was born and my parents didn’t want anyone to think she was named after him. I’m not named after anyone so my parents didn’t want any hurt feelings, etc. My sister has always hated [name]Sarah[/name] because it’s so plain and just doesn’t fit her. She’s strongly considering changing her name to [name]Charlotte[/name] now.

3. Personally, I would save Rubia for a daughter.

4. No. Surnames like [name]Ashley[/name] originated as a way to distinguish between different people with the same name. For example, “Which [name]John[/name]? [name]John[/name] [name]Ashley[/name] ([name]John[/name] from the ash tree clearing) or [name]John[/name] [name]Baker[/name] ([name]John[/name] that bakes things)?” I don’t see the meaning as a negative.

1. I’m really sorry I don’t actually like your name but thats not your fault.
    2.My name is [name]Josie[/name] [name]Kate[/name] which I find really plain but I know other people like it (I hate it) you’re lucky because you can get loads of cool nn from yours so why don’t you choose a nn and go by that?
  2. I’m not really one for fussing about what the names mean so I probably wouldn’t mind the meaning if I thought the actual name was amazing.

Did you know there is a Youtuber called [name]Ashley[/name] [name]Ann[/name]?? (just wondering :p)

I like your name, but it is a bit…plain.

I agree with whirligig and lineska… I don’t think you should change your name at this point of life, just go with a cool nickname, even if its a complete stretch of you real name.

~[name]Jasmine[/name]

Although I’ve met a ton of girls named [name]Ashley[/name], I still like it. I understand your frustration with having a more common name, but at least it’s recognizable and easily pronounced. ‘[name]Ann[/name]’ is much less common for young women these days, so you could go by that. Or just “[name]Ash[/name]” is cute.

Once again thanks for the replies, just wanted yall to know I read all of them :

And no I didn’t know there was a youtuber with my name, I’ll look her up :slight_smile:

[name]Ashley[/name] [name]Ann[/name] isn’t a bad name by any means, but it is rather common so I can see why you’re unhappy with it.

I’ve never really liked my name either because I don’t feel like it fits me that well. My family still calls me it, but most everyone else calls me a nickname based off of my real name. You could always do the same if you really don’t like your name.

Some ideas for names based off your first and middle:

[name]Ash[/name]
[name]Asha[/name]
[name]Ashlyn[/name]
[name]Ashala[/name]
[name]Ashby[/name]
[name]Ashton[/name]
[name]Aisling[/name] (pronounced [name]ASH[/name]-ling)
[name]Asher[/name]

[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Annie[/name]
[name]Hannah[/name]
[name]Anya[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Annika[/name]
[name]Anita[/name]
[name]Annette[/name]
[name]Annora[/name]
[name]Anneliese[/name]
[name]Annalie[/name] (sort of a blend of [name]Ashley[/name] and [name]Ann[/name]–I like this!)

[name]Annalie[/name] that is cute thanks :slight_smile:

Her usernames are:

PaperPastels
Heyitsashleyann
AshleyCulture

~[name]Jasmine[/name]