I hate my name.

My birth name ([name_f]Anna[/name_f]) is significantly cutting into my quality of life. I can’t do anything without seeing it. Looking at it and hearing it makes me sick. At one point, I even prayed to God nearly every night and asked to be turned into a boy just so I wouldn’t have this name. I like “[name_f]Vika[/name_f]” enough to use it as a placeholder, but I want something more. Here are the names and nicknames I like.

Vitaliya ([name_f]Talya[/name_f]/Vitina)
[name_u]Valentine[/name_u] ([name_u]Val[/name_u])
[name_f]Valentina[/name_f] ([name_u]Val[/name_u]/[name_f]Tina[/name_f])
Aliona ([name_f]Alya[/name_f])
Yoshino
Kamala

A few of your choices seem very tied to other cultures, and I’d steer clear from that if you don’t have the heritage to use them as it would definitely raise a few eyebrows if you’re blonde, blue-eyed, white and introduce yourself as Kamala or Yoshino. I’d particularly be careful with Japanese names - not sure if there’s much crossover between the name nerd community and general internet/meme culture, but most people would just assume you’re a “weeaboo” or hardcore anime fan and got it from a character.

I’d say Valentina is the most usable from the list, if you’re looking for feedback. It’s pretty, and cross-cultural enough that it’s appropriate for someone of any background.

I’ll also say that I can relate - I used to loathe my name and insisted I’d change it legally the moment I turned 18. I’m okay with it now - don’t love it, but it’s my name, and I couldn’t imagine being called anything different. Not to mention, I could never settle on something I liked enough to stick with, and (at least here) a name change is pricey anyway.

I agree with kittie, if you’re going to change it it should be a name from your own culture or a name like [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] that’s used across different countries.

If you want to change it then do it, it’ll probably feel liberating but spend some time looking for and trying out the names first. Naming yourself is hard.