I have a MORBID last name! Help me!

It was just brought to my attention that some of the names I like mixed with my last name sound like a vampire name. I got used to the last name COFFIN and didn’t even think of how the first name would look with the last. The even bigger problem is we like word names. PLEASE help me figure this out. My partner dislikes Biblical names and latin based named like [name]Esteban[/name], [name]Sebastian[/name](ugh i love these names).

I like:
[name]Jericho[/name]
[name]Thelonius[/name]
[name]Gage[/name]
[name]Lazaro[/name]/[name]Lazarus[/name]

He likes:
Lightning
[name]Maxwell[/name]
Nine

we both like
[name]Rio[/name]
[name]Zephyr[/name]
[name]Tennessee[/name]
Miro
[name]Killian[/name]
[name]Night[/name]/[name]Knight[/name]

Last name is [name]Parr[/name]-Coffin.
THANK YOU

[name]Hi[/name]! On the bright side, [name]Parr[/name]-Coffin sounds cheerier to me than Coffin alone. With the right first name, I doubt anyone will even notice Coffin!

[name]Jericho[/name]: [name]Jericho[/name] [name]Parr[/name]-Coffin doesn’t sound dark to me, and with [name]Parr[/name] in between [name]Jericho[/name] and Coffin, I don’t think of coffins in [name]Jericho[/name].

[name]Thelonius[/name]: [name]Thelonius[/name] [name]Parr[/name]-Coffin doesn’t sound dark to me, either.

[name]Gage[/name]: [name]Gage[/name] [name]Parr[/name]-Coffin doesn’t work as well to me, because [name]Gage[/name] and [name]Parr[/name] are both short names, and because with [name]Gage[/name], the full name is three nouns ([name]Gage[/name], [name]Parr[/name], which reminds me of par in golf, and Coffin).

[name]Lazaro[/name]/[name]Lazarus[/name]: I like [name]Lazaro[/name] [name]Parr[/name]-Coffin, and it doesn’t feel dark to me, either.

I think that longer first names like [name]Lazaro[/name] and the others (and names that aren’t nouns) sound great with the last name!

More I can see:

[name]Abraham[/name] [name]Parr[/name]-Coffin
[name]Benjamin[/name] [name]Parr[/name]-Coffin (I know it’s too traditional for you, though)
[name]Ezekiel[/name] [name]Parr[/name]-Coffin
[name]Emmanuel[/name] [name]Parr[/name]-Coffin
[name]Raphael[/name] [name]Parr[/name]-Coffin

Lightning: This is really dark to me on its own, and with Coffin in the mix, it feels even darker. I unfortunately think of a dark, rainy night, and with [name]Parr[/name], I visualize coffins on a golf course during a storm.

[name]Maxwell[/name]: This doesn’t feel dark to me at all with [name]Parr[/name]-Coffin!

Nine: With a number next to [name]Parr[/name], I definitely think of golf, and overall, I think of nine coffins on a golf course.

[name]Rio[/name]: [name]Even[/name] thought it’s a noun, I think it works better than the other nouns on the list. [name]Rio[/name] [name]Parr[/name]-Coffin doesn’t sound dark to me.

[name]Zephyr[/name]: This one feels dark to me, like Lightening.

[name]Tennessee[/name]: [name]Tennessee[/name] [name]Parr[/name]-Coffin reminds me of coffins in [name]Tennessee[/name], which is weird considering that [name]Jericho[/name] didn’t give me the same association.

Miro: Miro [name]Parr[/name]-Coffin doesn’t sound morbid to me…

[name]Killian[/name]: Kill and Coffin in the same name is definitely morbid to me…

[name]Night[/name]/[name]Knight[/name]: This is definitely dark to me, too.

I’d personally stick with names like [name]Lazaro[/name], [name]Maxwell[/name], or [name]Thelonius[/name] with your last name. To me, word names seem to emphasize the noun aspect of Coffin, while regular “name” names don’t.

Good luck, [name]Meryl[/name]! :slight_smile:

[name]Jesus[/name] brought [name]Lazarus[/name] back to life after [name]Lazarus[/name] died, so knowing that story from the Bible and combined with Coffin I would find it very off putting to have a [name]Lazarus[/name] Coffin

Thank you [name]Jill[/name] always helpful!

LOL [name]Rollo[/name]! my partner deeply dislikes the name [name]Lazaro[/name] so we wont use it anyways.

I like [name]Zephyr[/name] and Miro with Coffin, but Killiam and [name]Night[/name] are way too dark and Vampire-like.

I agree with [name]Jill[/name] that [name]Parr[/name]-Coffin is a lot cheerier than Coffin on its own, so that helps a lot. Here are the names from your list that I think could work:

[name]Maxwell[/name]
[name]Rio[/name]
Miro
[name]Killian[/name]

Sorry, I know that cuts out some favourites! And I second [name]Rollo[/name]'s note about [name]Lazarus[/name]/[name]Lazaro[/name]. It would just be weird!

I am sorry if this is not helpfull but you could try having just [name]Parr[/name] as a surmane.For example Lazerus [name]Parr[/name].

I wish we could use only [name]Parr[/name] as that is my last name but for obvious reasons DH wants the kid to have his last name as well.

I recently heard of several couples in Norway who changed their last names to something else entirely. It sounds drastic, but I would consider it with a last name like Coffin! In most of the cases in Norway they had boring last names like [name]Hansen[/name] and [name]Olsen[/name] and they wanted something more unique for the both of them, and to pass on to their children so they could all have the same last name… I actually quite liked the thought of it and wondered what I would have chosen if it were me! (some last names in Norway are protected though, so you can’t take them unless 200 people or more have it already!)
It’s just a thought ^^

Also, [name]Killian[/name] (Kill+Coffin=bad!), [name]Jericho[/name] (I think of the crumbling walls, and with Coffin that’s too much death and destruction in one name!) and [name]Lazarus[/name] (who was raised from the dead) are too much with [name]Parr[/name]-Coffin, and [name]Night[/name], Lightning and Nine don’t really fit either (although I appreciate both [name]Night[/name] and Lightening as names for some reason! I think I’d chose Thunder over Lightening myself though!)… All the others I see no problem with whatsoever!!!

I recently heard of several couples in Norway who changed their last names to something else entirely. It sounds drastic, but I would consider it with a last name like Coffin! In most of the cases in Norway they had boring last names like [name]Hansen[/name] and [name]Olsen[/name] and they wanted something more unique for the both of them, and to pass on to their children so they could all have the same last name… I actually quite liked the thought of it and wondered what I would have chosen if it were me! (some last names in Norway are protected though, so you can’t take them unless 200 people or more have it already!)
It’s just a thought ^^

Also, [name]Killian[/name] (Kill+Coffin=bad!), [name]Jericho[/name] (I think of the crumbling walls, and with Coffin that’s too much death and destruction in one name!) and [name]Lazarus[/name] (who was raised from the dead) are too much with [name]Parr[/name]-Coffin, and [name]Night[/name], Lightning and Nine don’t really fit either (although I appreciate both [name]Night[/name] and Lightening as names for some reason! I think I’d chose Thunder over Lightening myself though!)… All the others I see no problem with whatsoever!!![/quote]

Dearest, thank you for your post. I actually have suggested this idea of us coming up with a blended last name but HD doesn’t see the problem with his last name so it just turns into a huge argument. Ugh!

Maybe if you came up with some suggestions for him he might change his mind?
Perhaps he doesn’t fully understand what you’re talking about, so some examples of what surnames you could get would help him reconsider…

I can see something as neutral Colfer from [name]Parr[/name]-Coffin without losing to much of the essence of both names… One surname over a hyphenated one would be better for the child to relate to as well, and if you’re fine with it he should really make an effort to truly consider it without arguing! And be considerate enough to see that although he doesn’t have a problem with the Coffin surname, it’s something that bothers you and he should try and do something about it because it’s love! (I’m skipping the professional wording here :slight_smile:

All my best!

Would it be possible to make Coffin a middle name?

eg [name]James[/name] first name, Coffin middle name and surname [name]Parr[/name]

So your child would answer to [name]James[/name] [name]Parr[/name]

Good Idea??

When I see that it looks like someone is a golfer who is over par. Colfer = golfer [name]Parr[/name] = par and off in Coffin reminds me of over par.

Maybe it is just me.

My personal favorite is [name]Maxwell[/name] with [name]Parr[/name]-Coffin. I think [name]Maxwell[/name] is distinguished and makes enough of a statement to minimize the chance for negative connotations with the last name.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Changing the last name or having coffin as a middle name is really not an option. I am concerned about his name being overly goth but not so much so that I would forgo a name a really love to use a “boring” name just to play it safe. The honest reactions from you guys really helped. [name]Killian[/name] is definitely off the list.

[name]Meryl[/name], I’don’t think your last name is so bad! Always look at the bright side of life - It’s really classic, anglo-saxon, and easy to pronounce! WDYT of:
[name]Benoni[/name]
[name]Blair[/name]
[name]Bowie[/name]
[name]Boyd[/name]
[name]Caleb[/name]
[name]Cohen[/name]
[name]Elliot[/name]
[name]Emmet[/name]
[name]Errol[/name]
[name]Clyde[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Finlay[/name]/ [name]Fintan[/name]
[name]Heskel[/name]
[name]Melville[/name]
[name]Skye[/name]
[name]Quentin[/name] (it’s also my boy’s name)
?
All are my nephews’ names and they are working (all of the little boys love them)! I think they match your retro last name.

[name]Benoni[/name]- how do you pronounce this one
[name]Blair[/name]- because of of gossip girl i associate it with a girls name
[name]Bowie[/name]- this is cute
[name]Boyd[/name]- not a fan
[name]Caleb[/name]- DH wont do ANYTHING biblical
[name]Cohen[/name]- a friend has a son with this name so its out
[name]Elliot[/name]- seems fem to me
[name]Emmet[/name]- no
[name]Errol[/name]-no
[name]Clyde[/name]- DH doesnt like C first names
[name]Dashiell[/name]- i like DH doesnt
[name]Finlay[/name]/ [name]Fintan[/name]- too popular
[name]Heskel[/name]- i have to think about this one
[name]Melville[/name]- interesting
[name]Skye[/name]- too fem
[name]Quentin[/name] (it’s also my boy’s name)- my father in law is rooting for this name I do like it

thank you so much for your suggestions!

[name]Meryl[/name],
My baby girl is born, so now I’m relaxed and almost quiet about naming:). I’ve read your suggestions once again and now I think
[name]Jericho[/name] and
[name]Thelonius[/name] (is this after [name]THelonius[/name] Monk?) are absolutelu wonderful
WDYT about [name]Jethro[/name]? it’s related.
Sincerely, I’m not too sure about your partner’s names - [name]Maxwell[/name] is really good, but two other are too ingenious (but I’m not saying they’re bad!).
[name]Tennessee[/name]
[name]Killian[/name]
and [name]Night[/name]/[name]Knight[/name] ([name]Knight[/name] is better!)
are really knocking! - and WDYT of [name]Milo[/name] instead of Miro?
My before suggestios weren’t too good, so, maybe I can help right now:)?

[name]Nancy[/name], congratulations I just saw your thread [name]Aurelia[/name] is the most beautiful name! I [name]LOVE[/name] it.

I love [name]Jericho[/name] and [name]Thelonius[/name], yes after mr. monk. But my partner says he hates [name]Jericho[/name]. He will ONLY consider [name]Thelonius[/name] and night/knight as middle names. We have considered [name]Milo[/name] but DH had a creepy teacher with that name so thats off the list.

I am leaning towards Miro, like the painter. I like it because it sound good with my daughters names and my spanish family can say it. He likes it because of the art connotation. He has left the mn up to me so Im thinking:
Miro Lightning (so he wont be able to make a future kid lightning)
Miro knight
Miro [name]Thelonius[/name]
WDYT?