I have always love the name Ella...BUT

we are deciding on possible girl names, I have always loved the name [name]Ella[/name] but I now have a niece named [name]Emma[/name]. We are worried that we can’t name our daughter [name]Ella[/name] because it is to close to the name [name]Emma[/name]. Is there some unwritten rule about first cousin names? Please give us your opinions.

I don’t know if it’s exactly a rule, I think it depends on your family. [name]Do[/name] you live nearby, will the kids see each other a lot? If they will be spending a lot of time together, it may get confusing. At the same time, it’s not like they’re the same name. If I were in your situation, I would talk to your brother or sister and see how they feel about it. It wouldn’t be as confusing as say, [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Emily[/name], [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Gemma[/name], or [name]Ella[/name] and [name]Bella[/name]!

[name]Hi[/name] there…I personally don’t think [name]Ella[/name] is too close to [name]Emma[/name], but even if it were, there’s no rule that says it’s off limits for you because of your cousin’s baby.

That said, [name]Ella[/name] is very, very, very popular (#19), and when you consider [name]Isabella[/name]'s -ella ending, and [name]Isabella[/name]'s ranking (#2), that’s a lot of Ellas! Granted, popularity may not be a negative factor for you, but I thought I’d bring it up just in case. :slight_smile:

If you still love [name]Ella[/name] but would like to find a name less similar to [name]Emma[/name], here are some ideas:

[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Eloisa[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Eleanora[/name]
[name]Eliana[/name]
[name]Elise[/name]
[name]Delilah[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Mirabelle[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I know a family with quadruplets. Two of the sisters are named [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Ella[/name]. I think that’s a bit much, but cousins named [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Ella[/name] would be fine, I think. Of course both names are way too popular for my taste.