I have some questions [Girl edition]

I have some more questions =

1. I love the name [name_f]Mahogany[/name_f]. What are your feelings on it ; absolutely not , middle name only or it’s lovely either way?
  2. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_f]Laci[/name_f] is too associated to the murder? (I love the name and prefer this spelling but I question if it’s too linked.)
  3. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] is okay to use if you aren’t Native American? (I love it but do not want to offend anyone)
  4. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you feel about the name [name_f]Tenley[/name_f]? Also what would you pair with it?
  5. What do you think constitutes a girls’ names?

Any ideas guys?

[name_f]Mahogany[/name_f], I’ve never considered it as a name per se but I’m thinking in this day and age it would work. People use [name_u]Juniper[/name_u]. Why not [name_f]Mahogany[/name_f]? My only thing is people may have an Anchorman reference

[name_f]Laci[/name_f], I’m not sure why but I personally find this dated. However, [name_f]Lace[/name_f] as a middle name sounds very appealing to me. EX: [name_f]Mahogany[/name_f] [name_f]Lace[/name_f]

I personally don’t like the name [name_u]Dakota[/name_u], it could be offensive but honesty in this day and age anything could be.

I like [name_f]Tenley[/name_f], in theory, but I don’t like gender neutral names. [name_f]Tenley[/name_f] [name_f]Lace[/name_f]? :slight_smile:

I feel a girls name should be obviously feminine, and long with nn potential that would allow her to grow into whichever nn she prefers. I also like a bit presumptuous. But my last name constitutes it. I have a De [name_u]Winter[/name_u] type last name. [name_m]How[/name_m] could I not? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you! I never really thought of [name_f]Lace[/name_f] as a middle but maybe I’ll have to consider it.

1. I love the name [name_f]Mahogany[/name_f]. What are your feelings on it
  • it is pretty but it is a bit full on, tho I think it would work as a first name, Id prefer it as a middle with a short first name, eg [name_f]Liv[/name_f] [name_f]Mahogany[/name_f].
  1. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_f]Laci[/name_f] is too associated to the murder? (I love the name and prefer this spelling but I question if it’s too linked.)
  • I don’t kno what murder you’re talking about so no, tho I live in Australia (don’t know whether that is why or not but just thought Id write it.)
  1. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] is okay to use if you aren’t Native American?
  • I really like [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] and don’t think I would offend anyone.
  1. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you feel about the name [name_f]Tenley[/name_f]? Also what would you pair with it?
  • It is alright, somthing like [name_f]Tenley[/name_f] [name_u]Kay[/name_u] or [name_f]Tenley[/name_f] [name_u]Piper[/name_u].
  1. What do you think constitutes a girls’ names?
  • A girls name is a name that is seen often/usually on a girl, some can be frilly e.g [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] and [name_f]Ariella[/name_f], some can be short and sweet e.g [name_f]Belle[/name_f] or [name_f]May[/name_f], and some can be of varying degrees of Unisex e.g [name_u]Madison[/name_u], [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] or [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u], or they can be combinations of all these things or other factors between these.
  1. [name_f]Mahogany[/name_f] is fine as a first or middle name. It’s unusual but I like unusual names. It doesn’t sound the most feminine to me. I think of it as unisex. But you could use nn’s [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] and [name_f]Honey[/name_f] which are definitely girls names. The biggest issue I have with mahogany is putting a middle with it. You have [name_f]Grace[/name_f] but as I said on your other post it sounds like a furniture range to me. As [name_f]Mahogany[/name_f] is an object and colour it makes it harder to find a good middle. I have the same issue with [name_m]Viggo[/name_m] which sounds a bit like we go so when paired with middle [name_u]Grey[/name_u] (which I love) it just sounds off. We go grey.

2. I don’t know of any connection between [name_f]Laci[/name_f] and murder. I live in [name_f]England[/name_f] so maybe that’s why. It really doesn’t have negative connotations for me so I wouldn’t worry. I’ve always like [name_f]Laci[/name_f].

3. again as an English poster my opinion might not have as much weight but I wouldn’t find it offensive. Is [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] fanning Native American? I don’t automatically think of a nationality for this name.

4. [name_f]Tenley[/name_f] is sweet. I like it. A PP mentioned [name_f]Tenley[/name_f] [name_u]Piper[/name_u] which I love. I think a lot of names would work with [name_f]Tenley[/name_f] but I would go with something more modern. Although I also like [name_f]Tenley[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f] which goes against this…

5. To me boys names are shorter vowels and strong sounds whereas girls names are more elongated and softer with lots of a, e, i and l sounds. Everyone has different opinions though. [name_f]Kimberley[/name_f] used to be a boys name for instance. I think if you meet an x then you kind of associate the name with them and their gender anyway.

Honestly, I dislike all the names you listed. Alternatives:

[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]

1. I like [name_f]Mahogany[/name_f], but not the strong “hog” syllable. If you don’t mind that there’s no real reason not to use it, but I wouldn’t want to have to wear it myself.
  2. I know of the murder, but I knew a [name_f]Lacey[/name_f] growing up so it’s not the first thing I associate with the name. I definitely think it’s usable. If you’re concerned about it a different spelling would help- or maybe you could find a longer name that could have [name_f]Laci[/name_f] as a nickname ([name_f]Leocadia[/name_f], [name_f]Lacadia[/name_f], [name_f]Laticia[/name_f], [name_f]Larissa[/name_f])? I also love the idea of [name_f]Lace[/name_f] as a middle.
  3. [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] Fanning is a great example. [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] is so main stream at this point only people who are determined to be offended by it will mind, and you can’t do anything about them. Plus it’s not like [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] is an authentic personal name only used in that tribe- it’s a state name that was borrowed from the [name_u]Lakota[/name_u] [name_f]Sioux[/name_f] name for the people that lived there, meaning “allies”.
  4. I don’t really like [name_f]Tenley[/name_f], But [name_f]Tenley[/name_f] [name_u]Piper[/name_u] is cute.
  5. Well, really a girl’s name is anything accepted as a girl’s name by a larger community. But I prefer girl’s names to be clearly feminine and not excessively cutesy.
  1. I love the name [name_f]Mahogany[/name_f]. What are your feelings on it ; absolutely not , middle name only or it’s lovely either way?
    I think it’s a bit much and would use it as a middle name only.

2. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_f]Laci[/name_f] is too associated to the murder?
    What murder?! (And I personally prefer [name_f]Lacey[/name_f]).

3. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] is okay to use if you aren’t Native American?
    I associate [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] as a place name and with [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] Fanning. So I think it’s all right to use it.

4. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you feel about the name [name_f]Tenley[/name_f]? Also what would you pair with it?
    I dislike ‘ten’ in [name_f]Tenley[/name_f] and slightly prefer [name_f]Tinley[/name_f]. I’d pair it with something short such as [name_f]Tenley[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] or [name_f]Tenley[/name_f] [name_f]Eve[/name_f].

I think it depends on what your culture views as girl’s names. In my area [name_u]Lindsey[/name_u] is strictly girl’s only, but in many English speaking parts it has been used for boys. If we all followed the set girl’s names there would not be a unisex concept today [name_f]IMO[/name_f]. I personally have the same standards for boys and girl names, it has to be easy to spell, have history and meaning to myself and my OH, be strong and not in the top 100.

1. [name_f]Mahogany[/name_f]… I like it in theory but the “hog” sound renders it unusable imo. Maybe as a middle name? It also reminds me of hogmanay but that’s neither positive nor negative.

2. I don’t know the murder association at all. [name_f]Laci[/name_f]/[name_f]Lacey[/name_f] etc is pretty popular for little girls where I live, on the same level as [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] etc.

3. I personally don’t like the name at all, though isn’t it a state in [name_u]America[/name_u]? That makes it fair game to me.

4. nms at all.

5. A girls name is just a name worn by a girl imo. I am pretty into gender equality when it comes to names.

1. [name_f]Mahogany[/name_f]. To be honest, I don’t think this is usable. Also, I think they would fall victim to the ‘THAT IS [name_f]MAHOGANY[/name_f]’ meme from the Hunger Games.

2. [name_f]Laci[/name_f]. I don’t know what murder you’re talking about. It’s likely only linked to that in the local area.

3). [name_u]Dakota[/name_u]. I would ask a Native American, only they could give you a proper answer.

1. [name_f]Tenley[/name_f]. Is this a name? I’m not sure what I could pair it with.

2. Whether it be girls, boys, or unisex, I think a name should… sound like a name, if that makes sense. It needs to work well as a proper noun. I think the key to this is precedent - if it has been used before, if it is an adaptation of an existing name, or if it sounds like an existing name, it could work.

1. I think the name [name_f]Mahogany[/name_f] fits in with the color name trend right now, but I would personally use it as a middle name, but it would be a unique first name, too.

2. I don’t really link [name_f]Laci[/name_f] with murder, but if you are afraid people will think that, I suggest it as a middle name.

3. I love the name [name_u]Dakota[/name_u]! I think it is perfectly usable, even if you are not of that background.

4. [name_f]Tenley[/name_f] is ok, and it fits in with the popular [name_f]Kinsley[/name_f]. I would do the combos [name_f]Tenley[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Tenley[/name_f] [name_f]Jade[/name_f], or [name_f]Tenley[/name_f] [name_f]Laurel[/name_f]

5. A girl name to me is something feminine, but familiar. It could also be somewhat of a boy name, but with a feminine ending.

1. [name_f]Mahogany[/name_f] is a beautiful word so I understand liking it as a name, but I don’t think of it as one. I’m not sure it’s wearable as a FN. It could work as a middle name paired with a name that’s less elaborate.

2. I’m not sure what murder you’re talking about, so no.

3. Yes, I think it’s fine, I don’t think people would be offended.

4. [name_f]Tenley[/name_f] isn’t my favorite. I don’t like how it starts with the word Ten and it reminds me of [name_f]Tinsley[/name_f] [name_m]Mortimer[/name_m] the socialite.

5. Hmm I think any name can technically become a girls’ name but for the most part just a name that is predominantly used on a girl in a given time.

1.) I’m not a fan of [name_f]Mahogany[/name_f], all I hear is “hog” and hints of “agony”.
2.) I do associate the name [name_f]Laci[/name_f] with the murder of [name_f]Laci[/name_f] [name_m]Peterson[/name_m].
3.) I’m not native at all so I don’t know whether it would be offensive to use [name_u]Dakota[/name_u]. If it’s not, I think it has an alright sound.
4.) I feel like there should be someone from the 1940’s or so that would be associated with the name. I don’t like it at all. Maybe [name_f]Tenley[/name_f] [name_u]Meredith[/name_u]?
5.) There is too much variation in names for me to say what is or is not feminine to me. It really comes down the the situation in which I see it used. At a football game I’d assume [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] was a boy, at a dance class I’d assume [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] was a girl, and at a swim meet all bets are off.

1. Middle name
  2. No
  3. I know plenty of people who named their children [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] and they aren’t Native American at all
  4. [name_f]Tenley[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] or [name_f]Tenley[/name_f] [name_f]Diane[/name_f]
  5. either feminine or unisex but more and more boys names are becoming unisex
  1. Well just had to reply to the thread as this is my name. The hog part isn’t really pronounced like the animal at all. And I’ve never been teased for it???

2. My dad works with some one whose last name is this so that’s all I think of, never heard of the murder. In the U.S.

3. Not my favorite name, but definitely usable on girls or boys.

4. Uh, NMS.

5. Feminine sounding, doesn’t have to be cutesy, just no boy names for girls ([name_u]James[/name_u] ect.)

1. I’m not a fan of the name [name_f]Mahogany[/name_f]. I always think of a chest of drawers when I hear it.
  2. I don’t think it is.
  3. [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] can be used by anyone. I know several children named this - of both genders - and none of them are Native American.
  4. [name_f]Tenley[/name_f] is okay, but I wouldn’t use it myself, as I like names that have cute nicknames available, or are a nickname of something else.
  5. I’m not really sure what constitutes a girl’s name, as there are lots of different names that can be used for either gender, and they have lots of different qualities. I like the name to be either feminine or made to stand out.
  1. came across a thirty something female named [name_f]Mahogany[/name_f] recently and thought her name is quite interesting. I think it can go in either spot.
  2. [name_m]Peterson[/name_m]? No. I had to think about that one to figure it out. You must live in [name_u]California[/name_u] to be worried about this still…when was that…10 or 15 years ago?
  3. yes but I don’t like the name, feels very 90s trendy.
    4)completely not my style. Feels Teen Mommish
    5)anything seems to go these days but I personally an tired of “boys names going to the girls”
  1. I love the name [name_f]Mahogany[/name_f]. What are your feelings on it ; absolutely not , middle name only or it’s lovely either way?’
    I don’t like it for a name for a couple reasons
    My favourite wood for furniture is [name_f]Mahogany[/name_f] and of the memes from the Hunger Games.

2. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_f]Laci[/name_f] is too associated to the murder? (I love the name and prefer this spelling but I question if it’s too linked.)
    I don’t know if it is because I did legal studies in high school but if you are talking about the [name_f]Laci[/name_f] [name_m]Peterson[/name_m] murder then for me it is very tied to that.

3. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] is okay to use if you aren’t Native American? (I love it but do not want to offend anyone)
    I dislike the name but I don’t think it would be offensive? But I am Australian.

Not a fan

It must be feminine. I dislike seeing obvious boys names on girls.

Other posters comments I agree with for Q5

heidicara
A girls name is a name that is seen often/usually on a girl, some can be frilly e.g [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] and [name_f]Ariella[/name_f], some can be short and sweet e.g [name_f]Belle[/name_f] or [name_f]May[/name_f], and some can be of varying degrees of Unisex e.g [name_u]Madison[/name_u], [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] or [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u], or they can be combinations of all these things or other factors between these.

foreverharriet
Whether it be girls, boys, or unisex, I think a name should… sound like a name, if that makes sense. It needs to work well as a proper noun. I think the key to this is precedent - if it has been used before, if it is an adaptation of an existing name, or if it sounds like an existing name, it could work.

jalila13
Feminine sounding, doesn’t have to be cutesy, just no boy names for girls ([name_u]James[/name_u] ect.)

1] It’s a no from me tbh, all I can think of is a Hunger Games reference which is probably due to having had a best friend who was obsessed with the series in middle school, ai. Second thought is indeed the wood, it doesn’t strike me as a name and I can’t think of any wearable nicknames for it that aren’t incredibly far-fetched ([name_f]Mimi[/name_f]? [name_f]May[/name_f]? [name_f]Nina[/name_f]? …nnnno)

2] I’m only vaguely sure which murder you mean, must be a mostly American thing. I mostly think of [name_f]Laci[/name_f] [name_u]Green[/name_u] who is known for her sex ed videos on YouTube. It’s a fine name, although I personally prefer the original spelling [name_f]Lacey[/name_f].

3] I’ve seen the name [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] on plenty of people who don’t have Native heritage as far as I’m aware and I’ve never heard of anybody finding it problematic.

4] I don’t really have an opinion about it, it’s not bad but not my style. Above all it’s very American to me. I’d pair it with a classic, feminine middle, something like [name_f]Tenley[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], [name_f]Tenley[/name_f] [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], [name_f]Tenley[/name_f] [name_f]Louise[/name_f]. Pairing it with a shorter/spunkier (e.g. [name_f]Tenley[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f]) or unisex name (e.g. [name_f]Tenley[/name_f] [name_u]Harper[/name_u]) would make it a bit too cutesy imo.

5] A name that is not used for boys.