I know that Nameberry users usually like more classic names,

And so do I. I usually love names like [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Dorothea[/name], [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Florence[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Henry[/name], Phinneaus, [name]James[/name], [name]Dashiell[/name], and many, many more. But now that I’m actually expecting a baby girl, a name keeps popping up. It isn’t a Nameberry favorite by any means, but I honestly want to know…

Is [name]Hayley[/name] really that awful?

Now before you roll your eyes and scoff at the ‘yooneek’, dated, overused name, I should probably explain myself a little more. When I was in High School, I wanted to name my future daughter [name]Hayley[/name] [name]Julianne[/name], after two of my favorite people. I couldn’t (and still can’t) think of anybody else I would want my daughter to be more like than those girls. Since then, my taste in names has obviously changed, and I’m no longer in touch with either of the girls I would be honoring. But I was going through some of my old stuff in the attic, and I came across some of my old diaries from when I was in High School. While I was skimming over them, the names just jumped off the page. As I remembered and read about all the great times I had had with them, it just felt so right to name my little girl [name]Hayley[/name] [name]Julianne[/name]. Maybe it’s just nostalgia or hormones, or a combination of the two, but it just seems like the perfect option. It’s really grown on me again, I already find myself thinking of her as [name]Hayley[/name] when I am talking about the baby. I don’t mind the actual sound of the name, it goes good with our last name, and unlike my other favorites, my husband actually likes this name.

The problem is, with this being our first child, it kind of sets the theme for names. And since I can’t see [name]Hayley[/name] and [name]Dorothea[/name] being sisters any more than I can see [name]Hayley[/name] and [name]Oliver[/name] being siblings, I might have to abandon my old favorites. We plan on having 3-4 kids, so that’s a pretty big decision in my opinion.

So that’s where you wonderful gals (or guys:)) come in. First off, what would you name siblings to [name]Hayley[/name]? I have tried to look it up in the check out a name box, but it doesn’t appear on many lists. And do you think I should go with my more sophisticated style where I already have many favorites? Or should I take my ‘Aha!’ moment and run with it?

*I also wanted to say that I’m not looking for variations of [name]Hayley[/name] or [name]Julianne[/name]. So no [name]Halle[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] or [name]Hadley[/name] [name]Jessamine[/name]. It’s either [name]Hayley[/name] [name]Julianne[/name] or back to something like [name]Dorothea[/name] [name]Florence[/name]. And while I know the latter will probably be more appealing to most, please bare with me here.

I am usually a person that yes, likes more classic names but I also like the name [name]Hayley[/name] a lot! Especially that spelling of [name]Hayley[/name]. When I was younger, I loved [name]Hayley[/name] [name]Mills[/name] and loved loved her name! I don’t think there is ANYTHING wrong with naming your daughter [name]Hayley[/name] [name]Juliana[/name], in fact, I really like it!

I think there are a lot of classic names that could go with [name]Hayley[/name], like [name]Everett[/name].

I would not name my child [name]Hayley[/name]. I do however like [name]Julianne[/name].

Why not do switcheroo and have [name]Julianne[/name] [name]Hayley[/name]?

Well darn I was going to suggest [name]Halle[/name] or [name]Hallie[/name] LOL.

I like [name]Hayley[/name] and I like [name]Julianne[/name]. It is unfortunate for those of us who love certain names but hate their popularity, and refuse to use them because of it. I love [name]Olivia[/name] and I’m put off by how common it is, well see. I like [name]Michael[/name] and wouldn’t have a problem using it hmmm. :confused:

I hear [name]Kaylie[/name] much more than I do [name]Hayley[/name]. I did meet a little [name]Hayley[/name] the other day about 10 years old and she was quite sweet and very bright. For the rest of the day the name [name]Hayley[/name] sat with me as I contemplated using it. If a name has special meaning to you regardless of it’s popularity or how well it is received or not by those here, I’d say still use it if you still love it.

Besides the fact the of the special meaning of both names would you pick them because you like the way they sound?

I’m not sure more traditional names would mesh well. Let see what others come up with.

My suggestions of names to go with [name]Hayley[/name] -

[name]Allegra[/name]
[name]Brooke[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Evie[/name]
[name]Ella[/name]
[name]Elena[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Lara[/name]
[name]Lorelei[/name]
[name]Lane[/name]
[name]Marlo[/name]
[name]Mireille[/name] - meer-AY maybe
[name]Naomi[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Rhys[/name]
[name]Thea[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Viola[/name] -maybe
[name]Willow[/name]

I actually like [name]Hayley[/name] a lot. One of the team I manage is called [name]Hayley[/name], and it really suits her, and I know a couple of others (all lovely, so a lot of positive associations). I know it peaked in the 90s, but I don’t think it sounds as tired as [name]Kelly[/name] or [name]Megan[/name], for example.

I don’t see [name]Hayley[/name] with [name]Dorothea[/name], so if you want to use names from the slightly clunky “old lady cool” style you may have sibset problems. But I think it works with names like [name]Zoe[/name], or [name]Genevieve[/name], or even something like [name]Ariella[/name]. I think it has a clean, lyrical sound, and other similar names from different generations will work with it.

At the end of the day, you have to choose a name that speaks to you. I think it’s nice if names match, but I don’t think it’s essential. And I think it’s nice if a name is on the right side of different/familiar, but I also think the most important thing is that parents [name]LOVE[/name] a name, and feel a connection to it. A friend of mine recently used [name]Isabelle[/name], which I like, but just think is so common now, but she decided it didn’t matter because she and her husband are so in love with the name. They love their choice, and that’s what matters. I don’t think they’ll regret it.
Good luck :slight_smile:

[name]Hayley[/name] [name]Julianne[/name] is very pretty and what a great meaning (honoring two of your best friends ever). I think lots of people like(d) [name]Hayley[/name] (it was just so overused likes some of the great names now). Of course, it has dropped quite a biot on the charts now and might sound fresh again. I think if you keep coming back to it, you should use it!

i can’t think of a better name than one that honor’s someone you love!
it’s very soft and pretty!

I do like this name, even though it is not a classic :slight_smile: – I prefer the spelling [name]Hailey[/name]

I really like the name [name]Hayley[/name], and I think the middle name you paired it with goes beautifully. I honestly don’t put much stock into how popular a name may or may not be. If you love it, and it has a sweet memory along with it, AND your husband loves it…then by all means, use it!

Thanks for responding guys! I’m starting to feel a bit more confident with [name]Hayley[/name] [name]Julianne[/name]. I always felt kind of guilty for liking [name]Hayley[/name]. And while I do like [name]Julianne[/name] [name]Hayley[/name], there is just something about [name]Hayley[/name] [name]Julianne[/name].

So, I have basically spent all day looking at names that I think would go with [name]Hayley[/name], and I have come up with quite the list. It’s actually a whole lot easier than I expected it to be! You would be surprised how many names you like when you don’t consider the popularity. And if we do go with [name]Hayley[/name], why not have an [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Jacob[/name] too? Actually [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Jacob[/name] didn’t make the list (but not because of popularity issues!), but I have actually considered them, which I wouldn’t have even done before [name]Hayley[/name]. Plus, I think it would be nice to be able to tell my daughter that I named her after two wonderful people, not just because her father and I liked the name and it sounded cool. And as for the spelling, I really won’t be bothered having to spell it out a bajillion times. I like the [name]Hayley[/name] spelling the best, plus it’s also how my friend spelled it, so that’s pretty much set. Anyway, here are some names that I have just recently considered to pair with [name]Hayley[/name].

GIRLS:
[name]Keira[/name]
[name]Maya[/name]
[name]Kaitlin[/name] nn [name]Kate[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Courtney[/name]
[name]Alexa[/name]
[name]Zoe[/name]
[name]Chelsea[/name]
[name]Samantha[/name]
[name]Ava[/name]
[name]Savanna[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name]
[name]Kristen[/name]
[name]Marlo[/name]
[name]Piper[/name]

BOYS: (I really had fun here!)
[name]Parker[/name]
[name]Cole[/name]
[name]Carter[/name]
[name]Jackson[/name] nn [name]Jack[/name]
[name]Hudson[/name]
[name]Liam[/name]
[name]Connor[/name]
[name]Collin[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Dylan[/name]
[name]Aiden[/name]
[name]Mason[/name]
[name]Ian[/name]
[name]Blake[/name]
[name]Trevor[/name]
[name]Bryce[/name]
[name]Jace[/name]
[name]Owen[/name]

I know it may seem silly trying to name a whole family at once, but I can’t help myself. I will say that it’s liberating to throw the popularity thing out! But maybe I have gone a little bit crazy? I feel like a recovering alcohic who just went into a bar, in the sense that I use to like trendy names, went to classics, and then here I am considering the trendy [name]Hayley[/name] for my firstborn. I don’t know, I will miss my other favorites too… But let me know if you think I’m on the right track with some of the sibling names, it would be very much appreciated :slight_smile:

Well, for starters, I think [name]Hayley[/name] [name]Julianne[/name] is a perfectly pretty name. [name]Hayley[/name] has gone down in popularity and it’s great that it goes well with your last name. I also love names that have meaning behind them and not just picked off a shelf.

I absolutely understand your concern for setting the precedence for children to come as I too was in this same predicament. [name]Ashley[/name] was a name that I have always loved (since before high school). I had my mind made up around that name and my husband loved it too. Well, it wasn’t until I was actually pregnant that I began to think about all of the ramifications that came along with [name]Ashley[/name]. [name]Will[/name] she hate having a dated name? We have no family ties to the name. It’s so unlike my naming style, would she feel out of place with siblings named after an entirely different style? [name]Will[/name] it prohibit me from using my style in the future and I’ll end up with 1 name I love and 3 that I’m OK with?

In the end, the cons out weighed the pros. We too want 3 - 4 children and I simply wasn’t willing to sacrafice their names for the sake of our first born. I went through a WHOLE gamut of ideas starting out at [name]Emery[/name] and ending in our sweet [name]Mabel[/name] [name]Frances[/name].

I know I’m being controversial by contradicting all of the “if you love it, go for it”, and in most cases I would say that, but in this case I think you should maybe think through it more. I’d hate to see you love your daughter’s name but struggle with finding and loving your other children’s names. I wish you all the best, I know how difficult this process is!

[name]Hayley[/name]/[name]Hailey[/name], etc. are very pretty names. But they rhyme with or sound very similar to a lot of other popular names that I don’t like as well such as [name]Bailey[/name], [name]Kayla[/name], [name]MacKayla[/name], [name]Kylie[/name], [name]Riley[/name], etc. These names are called the Meganame according to Nameberry. Of all the Meganame group, [name]Hayley[/name]/[name]Hailey[/name] is my favorite name. But, as someone who was given a super popular and trendy name at birth - [name]Deborah[/name] “[name]Debbie[/name]”, I recommend something less common and less trendy. It’s great to honor friends, but it’s also important to give your daughter a name that has a long shelf life. That is just my opinion, though, and I could very well be wrong about this.

omgily - I was actually going to suggest [name]Kira[/name] and [name]Mia[/name], my girls names but left them off my list. I definitely think that [name]Keira[/name] and [name]Maya[/name] as well as [name]Zoe[/name], [name]Alexa[/name], [name]Marlo[/name] and [name]Ava[/name] (all though still too popular for me though) work with [name]Hayley[/name]. Actually all your names are great.

I second [name]Susan[/name] and [name]Carter[/name], and like they said, there’s no right or wrong here, only personal opinions.

Like [name]Susan[/name], my issue with [name]Hayley[/name] isn’t that it’s not a classic name, but that it’s part of what [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] have called the “meganame” trend, along the lines of Jaylie/[name]Jaylee[/name], [name]Kaylie[/name], [name]Baylie[/name]/[name]Bailee[/name], [name]Haylee[/name]/[name]Hayleigh[/name]/[name]Haley[/name]/[name]Hailey[/name], etc. (They wrote an interesting blog on this topic recently…)

If you were asking about a dated name that wasn’t part of the Meganame trend, such as [name]Brittany[/name], [name]Chelsea[/name], or [name]Ashley[/name], or a fresh unisex name such as [name]Sawyer[/name] or [name]Rowan[/name], I would feel differently, but this is just my personal opinion.

I knew of one [name]Hailey[/name] who hated having to clarify the spelling of her name all time time and who disliked having such a common name, but there’s a chance that your [name]Hayley[/name] may feel differently.

In the end, if naming your daughter [name]Hayley[/name] is what feels right to you, that’s what matters.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best! :slight_smile:

If it really feels right to you, then go for it. [name]Hayley[/name] [name]Julianne[/name] is a pretty name. In reality, I don’t think it’s that important for siblings to have the same style name if you like the names. But if it doesn’t feel right, then put it aside. As you plan to have more children, you could always use [name]Hayley[/name] later if you have another girl and then decide if it fits with the names you’ve already chosen.

Have you considered using two middle names?

For what its worth…I have a very common name for my generation and I have never cared. In high school it wasn’t uncommon for me to have at least one other person in most of my classes with my same name. Personally it didn’t bother me one bit. My parents loved my name, and I loved my name. I could care less how many other people had the same. And now that I am older I actually don’t hear it as much where we live now. (So things do change) Having a common name didn’t leave me with any “scars” or bad memories from my youth. [name]Just[/name] letting you know. Also, I think you came up with some great possible sib names! I especially love your boy names :slight_smile:

I think it’s a great name and a great story to go with it. If it makes you feel good to think of it and see it, what better name for your daughter? You could write in her baby book the qualities that you admired in those girls that you hope to instill in her. And you proved that you’ll be able to find names that you love for your future children whether they follow your first naming style or your second. I think you’ll be very happy with your choice and things will just naturally fall into place when the opportunity comes to name more children.

I know you said in your original post that it was either [name]Hayley[/name] [name]Julianne[/name] or back to the drawing board with [name]Dorothy[/name], et. al. to come up with a more classic name that doesn’t honor your old friends, but I can’t help but think that there has to be a middle ground. Are you at all open to the possibility of picking a name that better reflects the style of name you would most want to give your daughter while still also somehow honoring your friends? This doesn’t necessarily have to mean [name]Halle[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]. There are oher alternatives:
Using the initials H.J.?
Or using either [name]Hayle[/name] or [name]Julianne[/name] as middle names (one for this daughter, one for a future daughter) and finding complimentary first names that are more your speed?
Or maybe there is something else that reminds you of these girls or that time in your life that could be the inspiration to start thinking about names? (like the name of the town you grew up in, the school you all went to, something to do with a particularly significant memory?)

If you are open to any of these ideas, I’m sure people on this site could help you to brainstorm actual names based on your chosen inspiration. I think the important thing to remember here is that the meaning behind the name will always be a private story between you and your family. The world won’t hear “wonderful young women who inspired my mother with values she would like to impart on me”; the world will hear [name]Hayley[/name] and all the connotations that come along with it. Likewise, your daughter [name]WILL[/name] hear your story whether her name is [name]Hayley[/name] or [name]Henrietta[/name] [name]June[/name], with initials chosen to honor your friends.
I think the ideal solution is to have a name you really love in and of itself, while also having a nice story to tell your daughter about the name and what it means to you.

Like an earlier poster, I also do not think that a sibset needs to have a running theme. I feel that if people are so worried about how popular a name is and they put so much trouble into finding something less common, it then is an oxymoron to use the same “types” of names for all your kids. Why not have each name just be individual to each child? One may have a trendy name, one may have an “old lady” name, one may have an extremely unique name…etc… In fact, if you think of it, that’s a theme in itself.
Also, as for popularity, I say POO-POO to not using a name due to popularity! Because in the end, it’s your child and it’s you who will be using that name for the rest of your life! So use the names you love!
I like [name]Hayley[/name] [name]Julianne[/name]!

I don’t think [name]Hayley[/name] is awful at all, honestly; I think it’s a sweet, friendly sort of name that happens to be out of style at the moment but it’s hardly the end of the world. It was used widely for a long time so it’s not tied strictly to a specific decade, which helps. It also sounds pleasant with [name]Julianne[/name]. I’m one of the posters (or maybe the only one?) who is pretty lenient about dated names and who doesn’t think that siblings’ names need to match all that much (it’s nice if you can but children aren’t decor), so feel free to consider the source. If this name means so much to you then I doubt you will regret using it, but if mismatched sibling names or names that are at all dated really bother you and you would feel obligated to abandon your other favorites, then maybe it’s not the best choice for you. I wish you luck!

P.S. I don’t know if the other posters have mentioned this yet but maybe you could choose one of your current favorites as a first with [name]Hayley[/name] in the middle and then repeat the pattern with another daughter with [name]Julianne[/name] in the middle since you’re planning on more children. It seems to me that you could have the best of both worlds this way.