I like the name Mairenn.. can you suggest a better spelling?

What do you think of the name Mairenn (pronounced [name]Maren[/name]). I really like the sound of the name, but I am opposed to the spelling [name]Maren[/name].

We are thinking of

Mairenn [name]Yeardley[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] LastName

Thanks!

Original poster here. Nicknames would be [name]Marie[/name], Mezzie and [name]Maisie[/name]. Thanks.

At first glance, the spelling doesn’t work for the same pronunciation as [name]Maren[/name]. The ‘I’ gives the ‘A’ a long vowel sound: [name]MAY[/name]-renn. But I suppose it could be [name]MAIRE[/name]-nn. I can’t say I’m a fan.

I like the sound of it, but agree the spelling is problematic – to me, the second “n” seems superfluous. Mairen is a gorgeous name, though, in my opinion, and I’d prefer that to the other spellings ([name]Marin[/name], [name]Maren[/name], etc.).

I agree with junebugsmom that the second n isn’t needed. It almost makes it seem that the emphasis is on the ending, like mah-[name]RENN[/name]. Mairen would be better.

Thanks, while not traditionally spelled that way, I am going to consider Mairen based on this feedback. Thanks!

Mairenn is actually on my list of favorites. I personally like the extra -n, it gives it personality. Without it would be like spelling [name]Finn[/name], [name]Fin[/name] and [name]Brynn[/name], [name]Bryn[/name].

I don’t see this name very often, in fact, I don’t even think it is in the Nameberry Database. It is a traditionally Welsh name, am I correct? [name]Do[/name] you know what the meaning is? (I think it may mean ‘beloved’, but I can’t confirm that.)

I think it’s beautiful!

I believe Mairenn is actually an Irish name ” a variant of Mairin, which is a diminutive of [name]Mary[/name]. “Miaren” (with the “a” and “i” transposed) is Welsh for “briar” ” which makes it a pretty nature name.

I also believe that Mairenn is pronounced MOI-ren or MAW-ren. (Mairin is pronounced MOI-reen or MAW-reen).

And, I agree with you, Mairenn is a beautiful name!

– [name]Nephele[/name]

I believe Mairenn is actually an Irish name ” a variant of Mairin, which is a diminutive of [name]Mary[/name]. “Miaren” (with the “a” and “i” transposed) is Welsh for “briar” ” which makes it a pretty nature name.

I also believe that Mairenn is pronounced MOI-ren or MAW-ren. (Mairin is pronounced MOI-reen or MAW-reen).

And, I agree with you, Mairenn is a beautiful name!

– [name]Nephele[/name][/quote]

Ooh, thank you, [name]Nephele[/name]! I love the MOI-ren pronounciation, it’s gorgeous!

[name]How[/name] would you pronounce ‘Miaren’ then? ME-aren? [name]Mar[/name]-en?

I think they’re both lovely, and now I have 2 choices to add to my list of favorites!

Mairenn looks overly complicated to me. [name]How[/name] about:

[name]Marin[/name]
Maryn
Mairin
Mairen
Mairyn

It is Irish and in Gaelic is pronouned [name]Maureen[/name]. It can be pronounced [name]Maren[/name] ( my pref. ) but this is Anglecized (or bastardized, if you ask the Irish!) -original poster