I like the name we've picked out, but I like my good friend's daughter's name better

I have 3 more months to go until our little baby girl is here. We live in [name]Hawaii[/name] and we’ve only lived here one year. In that year, I’ve made a good new friend. She isn’t my best friend, but she is someone I see weekly, we go to each other’s houses, have play dates, etc. Her daughter’s name is [name]Ivy[/name]. I’ve always liked the name [name]Ivy[/name], and I feel like it goes with my son’s name, [name]Kai[/name]. I’ve always liked the name, and I’d use it, but I know she wouldn’t take it lightly if I took it. It makes me mad, because I know we only plan to stay here a couple of more years anyway. Please don’t say use it anyway, because I won’t. I’d feel too bad about it.

We’ve picked the name [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Claire[/name] for our baby girl instead. I like how it can shorten to “[name]Mia[/name]” which also goes with [name]Kai[/name]. However, I don’t like how popular it is.

Can you suggest some names for me that have the look and spunk as [name]Mia[/name] and [name]Ivy[/name], that would go well with big bro [name]Kai[/name]?

Here are some other names we’ve liked:

[name]Zinnia[/name] (I [name]LOVE[/name] it…Dh hates flower names though, so it’s a no go).
[name]Gemma[/name] (Dh vetoed)
[name]Leia[/name]
[name]Leila[/name]/[name]Layla[/name]
[name]Tallulah[/name] (secret obsession of mine, but not brave enough to use it)
[name]Calla[/name] (I have another good friend with a daughter named [name]Callie[/name]. I need to stop making mom friends).

Thank you!

Could you use [name]Ivy[/name] as a middle name?

Or, are there some native Hawaiian names that would work? [name]Kai[/name] has sort of an exotic feel to it, especially with that spelling, and there are some really beautiful Hawaiian names.
Lahela
Aulani
[name]Iolani[/name]
[name]Nalanie[/name]
[name]Leilani[/name]
Miliani
[name]Nalani[/name]

Or, other names to consider:
[name]Evelyn[/name] ([name]Evie[/name])
[name]Leah[/name]/[name]Lea[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] ([name]Liddie[/name])
[name]Emma[/name] ([name]Em[/name], [name]Emmie[/name])
[name]Rose[/name] (You said DH doesn’t like flower names, but this one too? It’s a classic! And [name]Kai[/name] and [name]Rose[/name] sounds really cute.)
[name]Maya[/name]/[name]Myah[/name]/[name]Mya[/name]
[name]Miya[/name]/[name]Mia[/name]
[name]Kiera[/name]/[name]Kira[/name]/[name]Kyra[/name]
[name]Layla[/name]/[name]Lela[/name]/[name]Leila[/name]

[name]Malia[/name] -similar to [name]Leila[/name]/[name]Layla[/name] and [name]Mia[/name], also its Hawaiian so it’d pair nice with [name]Kai[/name]
[name]Eden[/name] -short and sweet, and I think it goes well with [name]Kai[/name]
[name]Bryn[/name] -means “hill”, a nature name that isn’t a flower
[name]Lark[/name] -another nature name
[name]Eva[/name] - kind of similar to [name]Ivy[/name]

I would say use [name]Calla[/name]. [name]Calla[/name] is more original. [name]Amelia[/name] is a beautiful name, but I’m sure its only going to spike in popularity than it already is. I have a friend whose baby is [name]Callie[/name], and my dds name is [name]Kaia[/name] but I would definitely still use [name]Calla[/name]. [name]Callie[/name] is different than [name]Calla[/name], and [name]Kai[/name] and [name]Cal[/name] are adorable together.

Leisel
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Heidi[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Joy[/name]
[name]Hope[/name]
[name]Belle[/name]
[name]Blake[/name]
[name]Wren[/name]

Does your husband hate all flower names? The first name I thought of was [name]Iris[/name]. It’s not just a flower name, though. She’s also the goddess of the rainbow and messenger of the gods. [name]Isla[/name] reminds me of [name]Ivy[/name], as well.

[name]Amelia[/name] is pretty, but it seems very tame compared to the other names you like.

[name]Magnolia[/name] nn [name]Maggie[/name] or [name]Lia[/name] (the tree? would he go for a tree name?)
[name]Nova[/name]
[name]Uma[/name]
[name]Juniper[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
Zoella nn [name]Zoe[/name] (a friend considered this name a while back, but she ended up having a boy. I thought it was gorgeous)

These are names that I think are spunky and lovely, but my husband doesn’t quite like.

I think the name [name]Ivy[/name] may get quite popular since it’s now a celebrity baby name.

[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Isis[/name]
[name]May[/name]
Maelin
[name]Ava[/name]
[name]Ari[/name]
[name]Elle[/name]
[name]Wynn[/name]
[name]Finley[/name]
[name]Brooke[/name]

I think nova too

[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Keira[/name]
[name]Mia[/name]

I love [name]Tallulah[/name] and [name]Calla[/name]. I can see what you mean about not being brave enough to use [name]Tallulah[/name], but [name]Tallie[/name] or [name]Lula[/name] could be more low-key nickname options, and I think that [name]Tallulah[/name] is getting enough use now that it isn’t quite as out there as it used to be.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Evie[/name] as an alternative to [name]Ivy[/name]? Would that upset your friend? There are so many great names that [name]Evie[/name] can come from - [name]Eve[/name], [name]Evelyn[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Geneva[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name], and I’m sure there are even more. You could even just use [name]Evie[/name], if you don’t find it to be too nicknamey. It’s in the top 10 in [name]England[/name].

They’ve already been suggested, but I also thought of [name]Isla[/name], [name]Iris[/name], and [name]Lark[/name] right away.

Other suggestions:

[name]Alba[/name]
[name]Zara[/name]
[name]Nola[/name]
Lua (I don’t think this is in the database - it’s the Portuguese word for ‘moon’ and was the name of a minor [name]Roman[/name] goddess. I’m not sure how well it goes with [name]Kai[/name], unfortunately, but you might like it.)
[name]Cassia[/name]
[name]Ione[/name] (This is a favorite of mine, and another good possible alternative to [name]Ivy[/name].) / [name]Iona[/name]
[name]Larkin[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Jessamy[/name]
[name]Lula[/name] ([name]Just[/name] [name]Lula[/name] if you don’t feel brave enough to use [name]Tallulah[/name]?)
[name]Mira[/name]
[name]Lydie[/name]
[name]Seren[/name]
[name]Lana[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Coralie[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name] (or [name]Liza[/name])

I love [name]Kai[/name] and [name]Mia[/name]! But I agree with rowanasabe I [name]ADORE[/name] [name]Iris[/name] and [name]Kai[/name]! I find they have a different feel but they still work together really well!

Here’s some

[name]Maelle[/name]
[name]Malia[/name]
[name]Miren[/name]
[name]Naya[/name]
[name]Nuria[/name]
[name]Idony[/name] or [name]Idonea[/name]
[name]Ilana[/name]
[name]Imani[/name]
[name]Isis[/name]
[name]Isa[/name]
[name]Ivory[/name]
Then sticking with the hawaiian theme
Kalani or Kelani
[name]Leilani[/name]
or just [name]Lani[/name]

I understand that you don’t want to use the name [name]Ivy[/name] because of your friend, but hear me out. If you truly love that name and you would use it in a heartbeat if only your friend’s daughter wasn’t named [name]Ivy[/name], I would really think about using it. [name]True[/name] she would be taken aback but if she is going to throw a fit about a name, a pretty name that many other people use, is it really worth spending time with her? My name is [name]Stephanie[/name] and I went to school with 20+ girls (in my grade alone) with the same name and our parents didn’t get upset. It’s a pretty name, she doesn’t own the rights to it, plus you said you would be gone in a couple years. When she’s 10 and you live somewhere else I bet you won’t even think about this other woman. Why sacrifice a perfectly beautiful name for her sake.

what about [name]Coral[/name] since you are in [name]Hawaii[/name]- i love it and it’s really beachy- waaaaay better than boring ol [name]Ivy[/name] :wink:

I like the idea of [name]Noa[/name] or [name]Isla[/name] with [name]Kai[/name]. :slight_smile:

I love [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Claire[/name]!! I do love [name]Ivy[/name] and [name]Calla[/name] as well.

I think that [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Claire[/name] is good! I know [name]Amelia[/name] is popular, but I actually have never met a little girl named [name]Amelia[/name]. Other names you might like:

• [name]Lilia[/name] (I think it’s really cute and goes with [name]Kai[/name]. It’s kind of like [name]Lily[/name] but with a cute twist. I don’t know if your husband would consider it a flower name)
  • [name]Amelie[/name] (It’s close to [name]Amelia[/name], but far less popular)
  • [name]Amerie[/name] (Also close to [name]Amelia[/name], also less popular)
  • [name]Roxy[/name] (It fits with [name]Kai[/name] really well!)
  • [name]Avery[/name] (Popular, but similar to [name]Ivy[/name], though not too close)
  • [name]Talia[/name] (Short and spunky!)
  • [name]Ari[/name] (A sort of mix between [name]Ivy[/name] and [name]Amelia[/name], but with its own charm)

If it helps, I don’t think [name]Ivy[/name] goes well with [name]Kai[/name], that sound too similar in my taste. [name]Amelia[/name] is very pretty. I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Tallulah[/name] and [name]Kai[/name] as a sibset. Especially with the connection to [name]Hawaii[/name] I think to could totally pull it off!

I wouldn’t use [name]Ivy[/name] cause I would be pretty upset If I was in your friends position and you would.

My fav is [name]Kai[/name] & [name]Luna[/name] ([name]Lou[/name])
Good luck!

I do like [name]Amelia[/name], but if you’re worried about popularity, what about [name]Amalia[/name]? It’s slightly different, but gives a lot of the same nn options, plus more! I knew a little girl with this name (she’s probably about 11 now) and she went by [name]Mali[/name] (pronounced like [name]Molly[/name]), which I thought was really cute. I think [name]Kai[/name] and [name]Mali[/name] would be a great pair. Or you could still use [name]Mia[/name], [name]Lia[/name], etc.

I like the suggestion of [name]Coral[/name] and I like the combo of [name]Mia[/name] [name]Coral[/name].

Also [name]Mimi[/name] is nice as a stand alone name or as a nn for [name]Jemima[/name] or [name]Amelia[/name].

rollo