I Liked This Before...

Any names that you would like if it weren’t for a jerk who happens to have that name, a movie character with the name that you didn’t like,etc.? For me, it’s [name]Carrie[/name]. I’d consider this if it weren’t for the [name]Stephen[/name] [name]King[/name] novel and the [name]Sissy[/name] Spacek movie. I love the book and the movie, but it’s not something I’d name my daughter after. [name]How[/name] about you?

P.S. On a side note, I heard about a girl who’s parents loved the movie [name]Carrie[/name] so much, they did name her after it.

Oh yes…There is plenty.

I dated a [name]Darren[/name] who was a complete jerk.

This girl I went to college with named her daughter [name]Aurora[/name]. It was my favorite name as a girl, but I REALLY disliked this lady.

No offense intended, but I have known four Jackies in my life…all of them just terrible people. One of which I have to deal with on a constent basis…ugh! (I’m sure there are plenty that aren’t, but unfortunatley I haven’t met one yet)

[name]Jezebel[/name], [name]Delilah[/name], [name]Circe[/name] and [name]Lolita[/name] were all a waste of a beautiful name in my opinion :frowning:

Also, the Police song [name]Roxanne[/name] put me off it slightly …

I’m sure there are a lot of those kinds of situations for me, but this one sticks out the most in my mind.

I think the name [name]Drake[/name] is a wonderful, wonderful name. Yet, because of a jerk I know named [name]Drake[/name], who picked on me through most of middle school and is just an overall annoying and angry kid, I could never use the name, nor see it for as great of a name as it is.

I’ve told this before but [name]Josephine[/name], a name I literally have loved since before a lot of you were born, or at least long enough before its time, when it would have been too old-fashioned, before that really got trendy.

I usually can get over people and not stick with any bad connections. Maybe because usually a few other people have the same name (or I actually didn’t like the name anyway), but in my age bracket, [name]Josephine[/name] isn’t that common, and I don’t know a lot of children, so there’s really just the one. [name]Josefina[/name]. Real piece of work. I don’t think I could live with [name]Josephine[/name] for a daughter’s name after knowing her -and briefly! she made that bad an impression on me- and think that somehow I still have this cosmic connection to a wretch of a namesake. Like she would run into me again someday and get some satisfaction out of it. It’s crazy, I know. To the best of my knowledge, the feelings I have to her are not mutual, and she probably doesn’t remember me at all.

Irrationally, I feel that using the name [name]Josephine[/name] after her would be just like saying a big “I love you, I want to honor you, I cherished meeting you” to [name]Josefina[/name] rather than forget her. That if I ever saw her again, she would think it was so sweet to name my daughter after her… she was so phony. It’s all wrecked because she’s so awful and then so phony. Although the likelihood of seeing her again or having to work with her is small, and if I have a personal conflict with someone else whom I’m unlikely to see again, at least they would not be so phony that their name is still ok by me.

It’s hard to imagine, but I think if I had gotten to use the name first, I would not have the same feelings and dread. It’s like she “stole” my name by having it, and then ruined it for me, where my child would still be younger than her, would predate my meeting her, and thus still be “my idea.” I would also still consider [name]Joseph[/name], although I might hesitate somewhat. I do have Josephs in my family past generations, and fond memories of my “best friend,” next-door neighbor [name]Joey[/name]. At least I have other options for boys or girls I like better, but I feel angry that [name]Josephine[/name] is now in the trash. It’s a great name. If I’m put off this far and with such grrrr! feelings, imagine how awful I’d feel to go ahead and use it anyway - because it’s all crazy not to use it, I could be convinced, but I can’t let it go.

I really like the names [name]Tyler[/name] and [name]Michael[/name] but would never use either because they are ex-boyfriends. [name]Tyler[/name] was a high school boyfriend that was just a horrible relationship so even though that was ages ago it still has such negative associations for me. And [name]Michael[/name] was the last man I dated before I met my husband so I think I would just feel awkward if we used it. Its a shame too because I think both are great as either first or mn. They both even went perfectly with my first son’s name but I just couldn’t do it!

My mom’s name is [name]Roxann[/name]. She was in high school when the song came out and she said it was just awful. EVERYONE would scream it down the hallways at her…teachers and everything! It is now my ringtone when she calls me! haha! She just laughed and rolled her eyes at me. LOL!

Ditto! [name]Even[/name] though my bad experience with [name]Tyler[/name] was only about two years ago, I can’t stand that name. Also [name]Brenda[/name] and [name]Kate[/name]-- ex friends.

Others:
[name]Beatrice[/name]/[name]Beatrix[/name]-- wwwaaayyy too close to [name]Bellatrix[/name] (Lestrange) for my liking!
[name]Tom[/name]-- Voldemort’s real name (yeah, I am that obsessed!), and [name]Tom[/name] [name]Cruise[/name] (do not, do not, do NOT like that man!)
[name]Alexander[/name]/[name]Alex[/name]-- knew one in elementary school. He was just an awful person >.<

I actually had a bad association with the name [name]Ruby[/name]. Enough time has passed and it’s now one of my favorite names.
Some names that I like but can’t use because of associations good, bad or whatever include, [name]Jason[/name], [name]Dean[/name], [name]Keegan[/name], [name]Rosie[/name] (my sisters dog), [name]James[/name], [name]Bryn[/name]…I’m sure there are more. Some names like [name]Ruby[/name] only had a temporary bad association. Other names that say belonged to an ex are a bit more taboo.

I loved [name]Moses[/name] long before [name]Chris[/name] [name]Martin[/name] and [name]Gwyneth[/name] Paltrow used it.

Now I could never use it.

The thought of anyone thinking I had copied this smug pair (surely the smuggest couple on the planet?!) has ruined the name for me for life.

Yes, in my family it’s dog names too. We’ve had a [name]Katie[/name], [name]Casey[/name], and [name]Molly[/name] so all of those are out. DH really wanted to name dd1 [name]Katie[/name], but it was my family’s current dog’s name. He couldn’t see the big deal. [name]Katie[/name] did sound great with our surname - so after some time I reluctantly agreed, the whole time thinking that everyone who knows my family is going to think I’ve named my baby after the dog! Fortunately, shortly after we’d decided on [name]Katie[/name], 2 of our friends (that didn’t know each other) who were pregnant at the same time but due a few months after us both announced they would be naming their babies [name]Katie[/name]. My husband knows my rule on name stealing and also admitted that if we knew of 2 Katies already then chances are she would end up being in a class full of Katies at school - so it was vetoed in the end. [name]Shame[/name] though, I still love that name!

theres many for me. i cant think of any except [name]Chelsea[/name] right now. but there are ALOT. lol