I love Mona at the minute -

What do you think? It’s one of those names that I suddenly saw in a new light and really really liked.

It just sounds so simple and pretty to me right now, and slightly dated but in a good way. And it’s unusual but well-known, and relatively easy to pull off. And it’s Irish, which I love. The only thing I dislike is the ‘moaner’ sound, but I hadn’t even noticed that until someone on Nameberry pointed it out.

What about it as a nickname for [name]Ramona[/name]? I love [name]Ramona[/name], but for different reasons and in a different way, so [name]Ramona[/name] nn [name]Mona[/name] seems a bit weird for me. But is that just silly? I love them both, so why not have the benefit of both - and it has the added benefit of a longer and more ‘substantial’ name.

So what are your thoughts?

I like [name]Mona[/name] as a nn for [name]Ramona[/name], just so the child has more options. [name]Both[/name] are perfectly fine, though. The MOAN is the first thing I think of, but obviously there’s not getting around that. It’s much more understated in [name]Ramona[/name] than it is in flat-out [name]Mona[/name].

I’ve decided on a name for my coming cutie, and the full name and nick name have a very different quality, and in a way, I think that’s better! It’s nice when variations give off different moods!

I absolutely love [name]Ramona[/name] and I like [name]Mona[/name]. I agree that they have a different feel…like [name]Rosemary[/name] & [name]Rosie[/name]. If you like both I say go for it- and as her personality develops you will find out if she’s more of a [name]Ramona[/name], [name]Mona[/name], [name]Romi[/name], [name]Ray[/name] or [name]Rona[/name]!

I like both [name]Mona[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name], but I agree that they seem to be separate and distinct names. A while ago I was skimming through cemetery records from the 1800s, and came across the name Monema in several different locations. I surprisingly haven’t been able to find any information on the name in terms of origin or meaning, but I assume the pronunciation is mo-NEE-ma, which I think feels like the perfect long form of [name]Mona[/name].

Like both [name]Mona[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name]. [name]Mona[/name] can stand on it’s own. It’s cute, fresh, spunky and relatively normal name. You can’t miss if you choose this name.

I like both [name]Ramona[/name] and [name]Mona[/name] and was considering them for my baby girl due in [name]April[/name]. My only reservation is her being teased about “moan”. Boys can be mean and turn almost anything sexual.