I love the name Minnow

I’m curious what random strangers think about the name Minnow? I absolutely love it, but have gotten a lot of push back especially from my parents. I’ve always liked unique names. My sister’s name is [name_f]Coleen[/name_f] (co-lean) and have never met or heard of anyone with that name, which is what my baby girls middle name will be. Thoughts?

Minnow is quite sweet. It fits in with the animal name trend and also names like [name_f]Willow[/name_f], [name_u]Wren[/name_u], [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Bonnie[/name_f]

Im not sure I’d personally use it but it could probably work

The sound is sweet, but I associate minnows with bait for fishing, or food for larger fish. It’s not the most appealing image…

Is it the sound you like, or the nature/water connection? I bet you could find something similar that would get less pushback.

You might consider using Minnow as a nickname/pet name instead of a given name. When she grows up, it might be hard to wear the name Minnow especially as it can typically relate to size and it will likely have a large teasing factor to it no matter her size.

Maybe consider [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]? I would consider it on the same level of uniqueness (or even more so) than [name_f]Coleen[/name_f], so it would fit in that regard, and I can easily see Minnow as a cute pet name for it. Then again, you can really use any name and use whatever pet name you like. They don’t have to relate.

I know about 4 Colleens. I think Minnow is very different from that. [name_f]Colleen[/name_f] is an established familiar name, and not super common but also not weird. I agree with pps that Minnow would be a cute nickname, but I feel that its a bit too cutesy for a full name. Other animal names that are in style right now are animals that are strong and less cutesy, such as [name_m]Bear[/name_m], [name_m]Wolf[/name_m], or [name_m]Hawk[/name_m].

I agree with @kipperbo1. Minnow doesn’t seem substantial, I feel like it would lead to teasing and I doubt a professional named Minnow would be taken very seriously. It’d be a cute nickname for something like [name_f]Minerva[/name_f], or even an unrelated name (like how some parents call their baby “Bumblebee” or “Sweet Pea” as a nickname).

Other ideas for full names for Minnow…

[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]
[name_f]Amina[/name_f]
[name_f]Araminta[/name_f]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_f]Hermione[/name_f]
[name_f]Minuet[/name_f]
[name_f]Milena[/name_f]
[name_f]Jasmine[/name_f]

I love Minnow, but it might not be the easiest name for her to have, unfortunately. [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] has a very similar sound and is also unique.

Minnow could be a cute pet name when she’s little, but I don’t think a grown woman would appreciate being called Minnow. I know I would not. They’re fish bait.

As a nickname for a baby, I think Minnow is so sweet. As an actual name, I think it’s a bad idea. I like the previous suggestion of [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] as an alternative–[name_f]Meadow[/name_f] [name_f]Coleen[/name_f] is a nice combo. [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Coleen[/name_f] is beautiful, too. As for names Minnow can be a nickname for: [name_f]Jasmin[/name_f], [name_f]Yasmin[/name_f], [name_f]Mindy[/name_f], [name_f]Melinda[/name_f], [name_f]Miranda[/name_f]. [name_f]Minna[/name_f] is also a usable but very rare alternative.

I agree that [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] would be a better name. Minnow reminds me too much of fish bait. I wouldn’t be able to take someone named Minnow seriously.

I like the sound of Minnow too. But like others have suggested, I’d use something like [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] as a given name and call her Minnow as a nickname. She can choose to change Minnow to her legal name when she’s older if she likes it or go by [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] or [name_f]Minnie[/name_f].
Or if it’s important for it to be on the birth certificate you could always use it as her middle name and still call her that.

I would have to say I would prefer beautiful names like [name_f]Willow[/name_f] or [name_f]Meadow[/name_f].

It sounds really cute, but I agree with other posters that minnows as a fish are kind of a downtrodden species. So Minnow as a name isn’t 100% appealing.

An easy fix is make it [name_f]Colleen[/name_f] Minnow and address her as Minnow. Or, Minnow would be a great smoosh nickname using the sounds “minn” and “o”, via something like [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f] [name_f]Opal[/name_f] “Minnow” or [name_f]Jessamine[/name_f] [name_f]Willow[/name_f] “Minnow”.

I really like it! But I do agree it might be difficult to wear into adulthood. [name_f]Minna[/name_f] is similar, gorgeous and rare. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you feel about that?

Or if it’s the cute/quirky nature vibe you like, how about [name_f]Sparrow[/name_f], Kestrel, Catkin, [name_m]Pippin[/name_m], [name_f]Clover[/name_f], [name_f]Aster[/name_f], [name_u]Yarrow[/name_u], Rosebay, [name_u]Ever[/name_u], Lumen, [name_f]Lark[/name_f]/[name_u]Larkin[/name_u], [name_f]Posy[/name_f], [name_f]Capri[/name_f], [name_f]Delphi[/name_f], [name_u]Sorrel[/name_u]…

I think Minnow is super cute as a nickname or maybe a middle name? It’s a pretty unusual first name but it is cute - especially with nicknames [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] or [name_u]Min[/name_u]!

It is a cute name but I think something more along the lines of [name_u]Marlow[/name_u] or something that has very similar sounds as Minnow but your family might like it a bit more? Also [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] I agree would be an adorable nickname or first name.

I’ll be quiet honest, I have the same appeal to the name Minnow as you do. I think it’s so sweet, and sounds like a really cute nickname. I wish it was more popular, it sounds refreshing.

If you like it, go for it!!
However, I agree about giving it as just nn.

Its unique but uncommon and simple, i really like it alot.

I think it’s super cute. Minnow [name_f]Coleen[/name_f] sounds like a great name to me! Ignore the push back. If you love the name then you should go for it.