I made up a name

Ok ppl just take this journey with me… i want you to be completely honest, this isnt something i will cry about if it dont work out, i just said it out loud and thought “hmm that sounds ok” its is an actual word, just not a name

Ok here it is… Rosin if there is any violin players out there you will know what this is, i just thought about it when i saw the name Roisin

Ok go ahead and tell me what you think, again be honest. Not too many ppl know what rosin is and even so if they did know its really not something i thought someone could be made fun of you know.

If you dont like it fine and thank you, and if you do like it help me try to pair it with a middle name. [name]Just[/name] to see if it works

If you want complete honesty, I hate it. Dancers put rosin on the floor to keep from slipping, and the sound reminds me of “raisin.” [name]Roisin[/name] is pronounced Rosh-een, so they don’t sound alike, and I much prefer [name]Roisin[/name].

I think I just might like it :slight_smile: You are pronouncing it like rahz-in not rose-in right? I used to play the viola so I know what it is. Its kind of an odd word to use for a name, but not bad. I personally think it sounds very namey. I think it’s closer to the name [name]Rosalind[/name](prn. rah-za-lind) than [name]Roisin[/name], which are both pretty names but I prefer the former. Overall though I quite like it as far as inventive word names go :slight_smile:

I am a violin player and honestly I don’t like it at all…it just doesn’t have a namey sound to me. Not to mention the [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Daniels[/name] song “The devil went down to [name]Georgia[/name]” where he says specifically to rosin up the bow and play his fiddle hard…if I met someone named Rosin I couldn’t separate it from the word

I thought that was already an Irish name… Anyone know?

Edited to add: yes, Roisin is an Irish diminutive of Rose. It is pronounced ro-sheen.
Sinead O’connor named her daughter this . ( thank you nameberry)

I had to look it up to see what it was, and it does seem like kind of an odd choice for a name… As far as look and sound though, I kinda like it. Fits with all the other [name]Rose[/name] names, but I guess it comes down to how important it is to you that your child have a name with a substantial meaning behind it.

Rosin actually means raisin in danish, so that was the only thought I had when looking at the name. I think it works :slight_smile:

I promise I’m not the Welsh name police or anything, just most of the names I know about are Welsh lol…anyway, I like the name in sound (though I think the meaning might put me off a little) but it reminds me a lot of the Welsh word for [name]Rose[/name] (also a name) Rhosyn ([name]ROSS[/name]-in). Very very similar, except that it’s a soft S instead of a Z sound. I also really like the Welsh name Rhoslyn ([name]ROSS[/name]-lin) if you like “lyn” ending names.

Best of luck :slight_smile: And for what it’s worth I think [name]Kairi[/name], [name]Ella[/name] and Rhosyn would be adorable!

I don’t like it. Not sure if you are planning to use it for a boy or a girl? Since you like it I thought I would let you know that I know someone with the last name Rosin (pronounced [name]Rose[/name]-ee-n) so it could fall into the surname classification.

OK i didnt have time til now to get to this.
some clarification: its not pronounced anything like the name [name]Roisin[/name] (roh-sheen) i didnt like the way that sounded, i just thought of Rosin when i saw it cause well it looks like it…Rosin sounds just like [name]Robin[/name] but with an s. The s does take on a Z-ish sound like in the word “rising” or “arise” You know how the S starts sounding more like a Z… Ok so no surname because it IS NOT (rose-ee-n) or (roh-sheen)

I did look up the translation to Danish and it is indeed raisin but… how many people know that? There isnt too many Danish people here in NM that is all. Its not really final or anything i just asked my family to sit on it and try to be a wee bit open minded LOL. the husband actually says that he semi likes it - not a complete yest but not a complete no either.

i think it might be hard to wrap around because its never been thought of as a name but just a word. But im sure all the “word names” had to start somewhere.
Oh and its for a girl for those that didnt know.

Yay! i think it sounds great with my other girls names too! but i dont know if ill change it to a soft S, it is a weird meaning word, but ive seen weirder LOL,
and it means more to me since i love playing my violin… i do have time to keep thinking about this too

It reminds me of [name]Rosina[/name].

Yes pronouncing like rahz not rose. So it would sound like this Rosin (rahz-in)
yeah it sounds nothing like [name]Roisin[/name] (rosheen)

Rosin is the norwegian word for raisin, so it’s quite the fitting nn for a little and wrinkly baby. ~

I’m not a violinist, but I do associate the word with baseball (the rosin bags that pitchers use). It isn’t necessarily a bad association, but I probably wouldn’t do it.