I met a......

So, I started school last week and a girl in my classes has an exchange student in. She is Belgium, and her name is… [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f]!!! I was so excited because I like honestly a couple days before school started fell in love with this name. It is so beautiful and I was just soso happy to meet someone with a favorite name of mine.

Although, I feel bad because everyone keeps pronouncing it like “Matild” ([name_f]Matilda[/name_f] without the a if you didn’t get that). [name_m]Even[/name_m] her host pronounces it wrong and like she tells people to pronounce it “MAH-[name_m]TEEL[/name_m]”, and everyone ignores it. I’m pretty sure I’m the only one who has been pronouncing it right.

I just had to share the news because of my excitement (((:

It’s lovely! I like [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] a lot but always prefered [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] especially in a [name_m]French[/name_m] accent (I assume she’s [name_m]French[/name_m] Belgian?)

I have a Belgian friend (I actually met her as an exchange student too!) who’s name is [name_f]Helena[/name_f] pn huh-[name_u]LEE[/name_u]-nah. Her sister’s name is [name_f]Liselotte[/name_f] pn lee-sah-lot-ah which I think is amazing haha.

Yes! She is [name_m]French[/name_m] Belgian, and when she says her name, with her accent it sounds so beautiful. And wow those names are seriously gorgeous. See, I would love to use names like that on future children, but I feel like its just not that name with my American accent. Like, when everyone calls her “Matild” (though I love [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]) it really does suck out the beauty of the name, if that makes sense?

My friend had a foreign exchange student from [name_f]France[/name_f] named [name_f]Aud[/name_f] (or was it spelled [name_f]Aude[/name_f]? I can’t remember). And in our horrible USA accents, it sounded like the word odd, but when her friend pronounced it it was more like [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-du. It was so beautiful but so butchered by our accents. Her friend was also named Maltilde! Such a pretty name.

[name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] is a great [name_m]French[/name_m] name and the name of the new and lovely [name_f]Queen[/name_f] of Belgium! [name_f]Clothilde[/name_f] is another similar but pretty [name_m]French[/name_m] name. I prefer the [name_m]French[/name_m] pronunciation for a lot of names, for instance I love [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] pronounced more like [name_u]Po[/name_u]-leen instead of Paw-leen and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] pronounced Zhan-vee-ehv instead of [name_f]Jenn[/name_f]-a-veeve.