I need help naming my baby girl.

My hubby and I are expecting a baby girl in [name_f]September[/name_f] and we are having a hard time picking a name. These are the current names we like:
[ul]

[/ul]

Which names do you like? Which names do you not like? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I love Elowyn! I probably slightly prefer the [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] spelling, but Elowyn is very pretty and exotic too.
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] is nice, elegant and classy. I’m not a big fan of [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] as a nickname though.
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] is cute, vintage, and [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] is really sweet. Not something I would use myself though.
[name_f]Melissa[/name_f] is definitely a no from me. It’s my aunties name and I just see it as an ‘older person’ name if that makes sense.
[name_f]Briar[/name_f] is really lovely, it has the same feel as Elowyn.
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] almost feels as though it has the perfect balance between vintage (like [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] and [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]) and modern (Elowyn, [name_f]Briar[/name_f].) You also have lots of nickname options :slight_smile:

Elowyn- very pretty sound, unique but not too out there, [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] might be more intuitive but both spellings work just fine.
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]- pretty, ages well, not my favorite [name_f]Rose[/name_f] name but I do like it
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Dottie[/name_f])- very cute, I like both names, might get some wizard of oz jokes from adults both other than that its a great name
[name_f]Melissa[/name_f] (my name is [name_f]Melissa[/name_f], and we would call her MJ)- I really like the idea of naming her after you and MJ is adorable and ages well
[name_f]Briar[/name_f]- very cool and spunky
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]- becoming popular with the parents who like vintage revival names but it is a beautiful name and has some great nn potential

I think my favorite is MJ, that’s just sospecial and unique, there is a character in the Spiderman comics named MJ, notsure if it would bother you but its a bonus for me.

My favourite is [name_f]Melissa[/name_f]. I love the meaning behind the name, and the nn MJ. My second favourite ia [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] “[name_f]Dottie[/name_f]”.

[name_f]Lovely[/name_f] list! [name_f]Briar[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] and [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] are amazing!! [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] is probably my fave!

I’d also really like [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] spelled this way :slight_smile:

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

Here are my thoughts:

Elowyn-This is gorgeous. It has such a pretty sound. It’s unique yet not overly complicated, smart, feminine yet not overly frilly. Perfect! I do much prefer the [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] spelling. For some reason I think that’s the more accurate one. At least according to behindthename.com. If you’re into nns, [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] is fun & [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] is even better. I’d stay clear of this if you don’t like [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], since it may be hard to avoid.

[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]-This is so sweet. It’s playful yet sophisticated.

[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Dottie[/name_f])-Hm. I like [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], & [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] is different. I want to like it more, but just can’t get completely on board. It’s not bad though; cool & classic. I love the nn [name_f]Daisy[/name_f].

[name_f]Melissa[/name_f] (my name is [name_f]Melissa[/name_f], and we would call her MJ)-I’m not into juniors. Maybe [name_f]Melissa[/name_f] would be nice as a mn.

[name_f]Briar[/name_f]-This is nice. I like how it’s a floral name, but still has a serious sound. Not a lot of nn options.

[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]-Beautiful, sweet & sophisticated. Unfortunately, I think that ‘[name_f]Addie[/name_f]’ names are taking over the world right now. [name_f]Every[/name_f] baby I meet is [name_f]Adelyn[/name_f]. [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] is of course much classier, but she may get lost in the sea of other ‘Ads’.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

[name_u]Love[/name_u] Elowyn. [name_f]Melissa[/name_f] is my least favorite

Elowyn [name_f]Briar[/name_f] sounds gorgeous.

A lovely list! I especially like [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_f]Briar[/name_f], and Elowyn (although I prefer the spelling [name_f]Elowen[/name_f]). I think [name_f]Briar[/name_f] Elowyn would be a lovely choice.

[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] is my favourite from your list! I really like Elowyn too but would prefer to see the [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] spelling as it’s more aesthetically pleasing to me.

Elowyn - It’s not my favorite but still a solid name, I prefer the [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] spelling though.
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] - Used to be one of my favorites, you can’t go wrong with it
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Dottie[/name_f]) - I like it!! Especially with nickname [name_f]Dottie[/name_f]/[name_f]Dot[/name_f]
[name_f]Melissa[/name_f] - Not a big fan, it’s very heavily associated with 80s/90s people so even though it’s still a nice name objectively, it might feel dated or out of place on a baby. I could see it as a cute middle for anything on this list though
[name_f]Briar[/name_f] - I like it, it’s a bit of an outlier from the other names you suggested
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] - Out of this list this is probably what I would choose as a my favorite

Elowyn - I like this name, but I do prefer [name_f]Elowen[/name_f]. It’s very pretty though
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] - This is a gorgeous name. The o lay reason i cant current fly see myself using g it is that I haven’t found a nickname I love yet.
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Dottie[/name_f]) - [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] is nice, and [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] is adorable. When she’s older she could also go by [name_f]Dot[/name_f] if she’s outgrown [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] but not feeling [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]
[name_f]Melissa[/name_f] - not particularly a fan of this name, or giving a child the same name as a parent if I’m honest. [name_f]Melody[/name_f] or [name_u]Lisa[/name_u], or something along those names, would be a nice nod to your name while giving your daughter her own name.
[name_f]Briar[/name_f] - despite not really being a fan of one syllable names, I love [name_f]Briar[/name_f]. It’s very nice
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] - This is a nice name. Its familiar, but by no means common. [name_f]Addie[/name_f] and [name_m]Deli[/name_m] are nice nicknames too

I love your choices, but I personally wouldn’t give my child the same name as me, so they feel they have their own name.
An alternative, especially taking into account your choices that can be very feminine, but also fun and bold that you could consider could be [name_f]Morven[/name_f]?
It’s Scottish, and I’m absolutely in love with it!

[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] “[name_f]Dottie[/name_f]”
And [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] are by far my favorites from your list I think they are both underused and beautiful

I like [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] and [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] best. Maybe [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] [name_f]Melissa[/name_f] or [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] [name_f]Melissa[/name_f]?

My favourite from those would definitely be Elowyn (and that’s my preferred spelling for it too!), such a beautiful and mystical name!

Elowyn - I like [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] (though like most pp I prefer this spelling). It gives off slightly fairytale, mythological vibes while still being down-to-earth. [name_u]Wyn[/name_u] and [name_f]Wynnie[/name_f] are both cute nicknames. Ellies are everywhere at the moment, but it’s a nice nickname, too.

[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] - I really like [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] for you. All of the [name_f]Rose[/name_f]- names are familiar but they don’t seem oversaturated yet, and [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] is one of the sweetest of the bunch. [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] is just the cutest. I would also suggest [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f].

[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Dottie[/name_f]) - I want to like [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], but it still feels a bit dusty to me. [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] is cute, though. Would it age well?

[name_f]Melissa[/name_f] (my name is [name_f]Melissa[/name_f], and we would call her MJ) - I don’t mind the idea of naming her after you, especially since it’s personally meaningful, but I don’t love this option. [name_f]Melissa[/name_f] is a nice name with a great meaning, but it seems so different from your other top choices (and MJ is even MORE out of place). I worry that this name just doesn’t seem to suit your style, so I wonder if you would fall out of love with it. Also, were you to have multiple girls, MJ would really stand out and not work well with sister names. I love the idea of [name_f]Melissa[/name_f] as a middle name, or even [name_f]Bee[/name_f] to represent its meaning.

[name_f]Briar[/name_f] - [name_f]Briar[/name_f] always feels slightly masculine to me, but otherwise I’m into it. I prefer the similar [name_f]Bryony[/name_f]/[name_f]Briony[/name_f], which is also a nature name. I agree with pp that it makes an especially good middle name.

[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] - [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] is just lovely and lilting, but the popularity of all the [name_f]Addy[/name_f] names does put me off it slightly. I suppose it depends on how popular it is in your area, and how much popularity matters to you. Would you plan to call her [name_f]Addie[/name_f] or by her full name/a different nickname?

Overall, my favorite option for you is [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], followed by Elowyn or [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f].

Your list is stunning!
I love [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] and [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]! These names are gorgeous! I’m very excited to see [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] on your list. [name_f]Briar[/name_f] and [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] are very pretty too. I’m not a fan of [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f].
I really like the name [name_f]Melissa[/name_f] and I love that you are considering your own name for your daughter! There are Juniors everywhere but I rarely see a girl named after her mother. That would be an awesome decision!
My top 3 for you: [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], [name_f]Melissa[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]! (probably in this order)