I need help spelling a name

[name_f]My[/name_f] hubby and I are finally having a girl after two boys after much deliberation we have decided on a name but don’t know how to spell it so people will pronounce it correctly. The name is E-lah
I always thought the actress [name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_m]Fisher[/name_m] pronunced it that way but it is actually prounounced I-lah like island. I was a teacher and know the struggle of mispronouncing names, HELP! Lol

1 Like

[name_f]Eila[/name_f] or Eela?
I’ve never heard of any E-lahs, it sounds lovely!

1 Like

I think Eela would get the spelling across most clearly. [name_f]Isla[/name_f] and [name_f]Eila[/name_f] are both ‘eye-lah’ to me. [name_f]Ila[/name_f] is also eye-lah in my experience but I think you could do [name_f]Ila[/name_f] ‘ee-lah’ too!

2 Likes

Elah - it’s a Hebrew name and spelling, and it means oak tree.

6 Likes

[name_f]Eilah[/name_f] maybe? That looks right to me?

[name_f]Elah[/name_f] is the only real name I can think of with this pronunciation.

I would like to second this, it’s perfect!

[name_f]Ela[/name_f] or Eela?

I’ll third Elah!!!

I think [name_f]Ela[/name_f] or [name_f]Elah[/name_f] would work. I feel like she would very often have it mispronounced as [name_f]Ella[/name_f] though.

I agree with [name_f]Elah[/name_f] if you want to maximize the likelihood of people getting it right on the first try! You could do Eela, but that looks a little funky.

yla?