I need help with main character's birth name

Hi, I’m looking for a name for my character. The main character is going to find out her birth name at the end of the story. She was kidnapped at two weeks old so she knows nothing about her origin until near the end. Her kidnappers gave her the name [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. But I haven’t decided on her birth name yet. I would love help deciding.

My character is a fifteen-year-old shapeshifter who prefers to stay in her human form and change her human appearance. Naturally she is blonde and tan with dark green eyes. She is stubborn but also really nice to friends and those who need help. She’s quiet, but also talks a lot at people she trusts and rambles a lot. She overthinks about every way something could go wrong and she’s excellent with weapons. She aspires to be a spy planted within the kingdom for her captors as she doesn’t know the truth about them or that she was kidnapped, since she grew up with them and sees them as her family. She’s afraid of fire and likes the dark.

The setting of my story is a fantasy world which is a mixture of medieval aesthetics and modern technology so old fashioned and modern names are both okay but I would prefer modern. I don’t want a word name but I would like a name that has a nature inspired meaning. I’m not picky about the style other than that. Thank you!

I think a really sweet, happy sounding name would work best, to kind of show how happy and content her parents were when she arrived.

[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Posey[/name_f]
[name_f]Peony[/name_f]
[name_u]Sunny[/name_u]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_f]Luna[/name_f]
[name_f]Maya[/name_f]
[name_f]Blossom[/name_f]
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_f]Petal[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Joy[/name_f]
[name_f]Nell[/name_f]
[name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
[name_f]Summer[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilac[/name_f]
[name_f]Meadow[/name_f]
[name_u]Prairie[/name_u]

1 Like

Thank you! I really like [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] and [name_f]Summer[/name_f]!

1 Like

I like @may.rose’s suggestions of [name_f]Posey[/name_f] and [name_f]Summer[/name_f]!

Other ideas and meanings
[name_f]Lila[/name_f] - night
[name_f]Stella[/name_f] - star
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] - bright
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Margareta[/name_f], [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f], or [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] - pearl
[name_f]Isla[/name_f] - island
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] - dawn
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] - golden
[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] - fiery (irony maybe?)
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], [name_f]Rhoswen[/name_f], [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] - variations on rose with slightly different meanings
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] - daughter of the sea
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] or [name_f]Amabel[/name_f] - loveable, which isn’t a nature name but could work definitely
[name_u]Arden[/name_u] - valley of the eagle
[name_f]Avalon[/name_f] - island of apples
[name_f]Fleur[/name_f] - flower
[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] - a mythology name, bringing to mind the constellation
[name_f]Cressida[/name_f] - gold
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f] - order/beauty, both things found in nature
[name_f]Delphine[/name_f] - dolphin
[name_f]Paloma[/name_f] - dove
[name_u]Seren[/name_u] - star
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] - laurel tree
[name_f]Ianthe[/name_f] - purple flower
[name_u]Phaedra[/name_u] - bright
[name_f]Ione[/name_f] - a violet colored stone
[name_f]Jessamine[/name_f] or [name_f]Jessamy[/name_f] - jasmine
[name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] - golden, yellow
[name_f]Leontine[/name_f] - lion
[name_f]Viridiana[/name_f] - green
[name_f]Iolanthe[/name_f] - violet flower
[name_f]Iola[/name_f] or [name_f]Iole[/name_f] - violet
[name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] - waves of the sea
[name_f]Lilias[/name_f] or [name_f]Lileas[/name_f] - lily
[name_f]Elestren[/name_f] - iris
[name_f]Madelief[/name_f] - daisy
[name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] - white snow
[name_f]Zephyra[/name_f] - west wind

Also, it doesn’t have a nature meaning but [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] came to mind for your character!

2 Likes

Emerald
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_f]Fawn[/name_f]
[name_f]Doe[/name_f]
[name_f]Birdie[/name_f]
[name_u]River[/name_u]

1 Like

I think [name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f] is a good fit! It’s beautiful and powerful! It means emerald (a reference to her green eyes) plus I think it sounds very exotic and mysterious!

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestions!

@midwinter I like all of these names but I mostly like [name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_f]Isla[/name_f], and [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]!

@EJpuddlejumper I like [name_f]Emerald[/name_f] and [name_u]River[/name_u]!

@Lily_Grace I like [name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f]!

1 Like

I thought of [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f], [name_f]Zoey[/name_f], [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u], [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] and [name_u]Rowan[/name_u].

1 Like

Adamina
[name_f]Buttercup[/name_f]
[name_f]Jara[/name_f]
[name_f]Patzi[/name_f]
[name_f]Sena[/name_f]
[name_f]Xanthipe[/name_f]/Xanthippe/Xanthippi

1 Like

Ok, these are all a little different, but they have nature meanings.

Tasnim -a spring in paradise
[name_f]Vanessa[/name_f]- butterfly (personally I think this has a lot of the same feel as [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] does, which I kind of like)
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]- [name_u]Evergreen[/name_u] (This could be fun because of her eyes)
[name_m]Farren[/name_m]- wanderer (I thought this could be cool. You don’t have to say the meaning, but it has symbolism nevertheless. Like how she has been kidnapped and in a way a “wanderer”)
Asterin- [name_f]Star[/name_f]
[name_f]Sahar[/name_f]- dawn
[name_f]Thalia[/name_f]- blooming
[name_u]Hollis[/name_u]- among the holly trees
Maylea- wildflower

Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you! These are all really, really good names!