I need to find names that don't end in "n"!!

Wow, most of the boys names me and my partner love all end in n, which is a bit of a problem when our last name is [name]Morgan[/name]. We’re not expecting right now but planning for the next couple of years.

What makes the problem worse, is we’re both very close to our grandfathers and would like to honour them both with our first son (assuming we have one!) but their names are [name]Norman[/name] (his) and [name]William[/name] (mine). His grandfather didn’t have a middle name and mine is [name]Bryan[/name] which doesn’t make it any better!

We would want the baby’s first name to be a Welsh name (as we’re both Welsh and live in [name]Wales[/name]) but it gets worse because our favourite Welsh boys names are [name]Griffin[/name], [name]Trystan[/name], Aneirin, Cynan, [name]Ioan[/name], Macsen and Rhydian! So yes it is all a bit ridiculous!

Our child would most likely end up being [name]Griffin[/name] [name]Norman[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Morgan[/name] - now is that too much?? I know [name]William[/name] ends with an “m” but it has the same effect as the “n” ending names I think.

The only Welsh boys names we like that don’t end in “n” are [name]Arthur[/name], [name]Emrys[/name], [name]Floyd[/name] (not sure I’d be brave ebough to use it!) [name]Ianto[/name] (he’s not that keen) and I like both [name]Rhodri[/name] and [name]Ellis[/name] but he doesn’t like either.

And I’m still wondering if for example [name]Emrys[/name] [name]Norman[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Morgan[/name] would actually be any better? Is the [name]Norman[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Morgan[/name] bit too much of the same sounds? [name]Do[/name] you think we should only honour one grandfather and hope that we have another boy to honour the other?

I think we have a real problem as even outside of Welsh names some of our favs include [name]Quentin[/name], [name]Harlan[/name], [name]Edison[/name], [name]Brendan[/name], [name]Deacon[/name] and [name]Warren[/name]!! I do also love [name]Rafferty[/name] though and he loves [name]Cassius[/name] and [name]Otto[/name] so it’s not all bad hehe.

So yeah sorry that was so long winded, basically wondering if anyone can think of a way of making the combo work or at least suggest some Welsh names that don’t end in “n” and aren’t too popular!

[name]How[/name] about [name]Rhys[/name] or [name]Reece[/name]? Doesn’t end in “n” and Welsh.

Thanks for the reply but it’s a very common name here in [name]Wales[/name] and I won’t use common names! I have a cousin called [name]Rhys[/name] as well as several friends so that’s a no go :S

Thanks though! Anyone else? Also do you think the [name]Norman[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Morgan[/name] part of the name can ever work or do I need to rethink it?

[name]Norman[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Morgan[/name] is a bit of a mouthful, but as long as they’re both middle names, I don’t think it’s too much of a problem. I actually don’t think [name]William[/name] [name]Morgan[/name] sounds bad at all, despite the two m’s.

I don’t know Welsh names enough to help you with that part. (I only recognize a few you put in your post from Torchwood!) But I like [name]Arthur[/name] [name]Norman[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Morgan[/name]. And [name]Arthur[/name] [name]Morgan[/name]. It’s a good, strong name that doesn’t add to your n/m problems at all!

Well, I think when it comes to first and last names ending in the same letter sometimes playing with the number of syllables works. [name]Griffin[/name] [name]Morgan[/name] doesn’t have great flow because both are two syllables with the same ending. But [name]Edison[/name] [name]Morgan[/name] or Rhydian (I’m assuming it’s [name]REE[/name]-dee-in) [name]Morgan[/name] doesn’t sound all the bad because the 3-2 flow works. It’s still not ideal, but it’s better. I love [name]Rafferty[/name]! [name]Rafferty[/name] [name]Morgan[/name] sounds wonderful. [name]Emrys[/name] is awesome. I wouldn’t do [name]Emrys[/name] [name]Norman[/name] [name]Morgan[/name], but [name]Emrys[/name] [name]Norman[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Morgan[/name] isn’t bad (and how often will you really be saying all four names together?), [name]William[/name] breaks it up. Something like [name]Emrys[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Quentin[/name] [name]Morgan[/name] actually flows well. I have no idea how popular any of the following names are in [name]Wales[/name], but here are some non-N-ending Welsh names I could find (via Behind the Name):

[name]Cadoc[/name]
[name]Dewey[/name]
[name]Gareth[/name]
[name]Griffith[/name] (instead of [name]Griffin[/name]?)
[name]Howell[/name]
[name]Kendall[/name]
[name]Madoc[/name]
[name]Nye[/name]
Padrig
[name]Roderick[/name]
Sior/Siorus
[name]Trevor[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] that helps!

I love [name]Rhodri[/name] from the names you’ve listed and while [name]Norman[/name] [name]William[/name] is a bit much for me personally, the meaning is wonderful and because they would both be middle names I don’t think it would be a problem at all.

Some of my favorites Welsh names that don’t end in an ‘n’ sound are [name]Cadoc[/name]/[name]Caradoc[/name], [name]Ceri[/name], [name]Ellis[/name], Emyr, [name]Griffith[/name] and [name]Madoc[/name],

I don’t think the “rules” apply when it comes to family names. In my opinion, names that might otherwise sound a bit off end up sounding stately when there is actual meaning behind the names. I say go for it!

I feel your pain. My last name ends with “son” which makes a ton of names NOT work :frowning:

I love the name [name]Bryant[/name] which would be good instead of [name]Bryan[/name]…

Trich 323 - thank you :slight_smile: I love [name]Arthur[/name] and nn [name]Artie[/name] but worry it sounds a bit stuffy for a child. And we’re not exactly middle class so I don’t know if it’s sounds a bit too ott!

Freckles - Rhydian is RID-ee-un. I know what you mean about the syllables breaking it up a bit, unfortunately my partner doesn’t like Rhydian and I love [name]Rafferty[/name] so much that I would feel that using Rhydian would mean [name]Rafferty[/name] was probably out.

[name]Cadoc[/name] - not popular but I don’t love, [name]Cadog[/name] is a bit better but then I just think of dog!
[name]Dewey[/name], it would actually be spelt [name]Dewi[/name] traditionally and is quite popular plus lots of non-welsh speakers (my mum included) seem to find it impossible to pronounce properly which would annoy me if I used it!
[name]Gareth[/name] - super super popular in my generation especially
[name]Griffith[/name] - I love this too and it’s also on my list but I feel like maybe it’s even more of a mouthfull with [name]Morgan[/name] than [name]Griffin[/name] is! What does everyone think of just [name]Griff[/name] on it’s own? Is it enough of a name? Like [name]Griff[/name] [name]Rhys[/name] [name]Jones[/name] (although his real name is [name]Griffith[/name]).
[name]Howell[/name] - is kinda the anglicized version, Hywel would be the Welsh name and it’s not that popular but I do know quite a few which makes it seem stale to me.
[name]Kendall[/name] - this is a girls name to me! And I’m pretty sure it’s English as there’s no K in the Welsh alphabet. It’s a nice name though.
[name]Madoc[/name] - not too keen on
[name]Nye[/name] - it’s lovely but it’s only a nn for [name]Aneurin[/name]/Aneirin. It comes from [name]Nye[/name] [name]Bevan[/name] who was born [name]Aneurin[/name] [name]Bevan[/name]. To me it’s not enough of a name on it’s own.
Padrig - don’t like the nn [name]Paddy[/name]! And it just sounds too much like [name]Patrick[/name] to me
[name]Roderick[/name] - again this isn’t really a Welsh name, it’s an anglicized version of [name]Rhydderch[/name] which most of my family wouldn’t be able to pronounce!
Sior - sounds too similar to an ex-boyfriend’s name!
[name]Trevor[/name] - [name]Trevor[/name]'s so dated to me, and it’d be [name]Trefor[/name] in Welsh because there’s no v in the Welsh language.

Thanks for the suggestions though, it’s on the right track!

Alexa400 - thank you :slight_smile: I’m hoping the meaning would be enough for me to live with the less than ideal flow. I’m currently pestering my partner to go visit his grandmother and quiz her about his grandfathers name because my [name]MIL[/name] has said she doesn’t think he had a middle but all his brothers and his father did, this just doesn’t seem likely to me so I’m still hoping he had a middle name! hehe. [name]Ceri[/name] in [name]Wales[/name] is kind of like [name]Courtney[/name] or [name]Ashley[/name]…it’s too far gone to the girls now to use it on a boy.

I love love love [name]Ellis[/name] and Emyr ([name]Ellis[/name] especially) but my partner thinks they sound too girly, even though somehow he’s fine with [name]Emrys[/name]?! Odd.

[name]Villette[/name] - thanks!

Rose23 - oh I feel for you! That’s worse than my situation because I guess it rules out [name]Edison[/name], [name]Jefferson[/name], Harrsion, all those lovely lovely names :frowning: [name]Don[/name]'t you ever just wish men took their wives last names?! [name]Bryant[/name] is a cool idea too, thanks!