I’ve seen a few similar topics, some older, some newer, but I didn’t want to steal the board- so here we go. First time poster; I’m sure you see people like me all the time. I need to talk to someone besides my husband so I can gather my thoughts and have a real conversation with him rather than just going, “baby?”
We’ve been married just over a year, together for four. I know, it’s not a long time.
We had a plan; like most of the world that has shifted. We’ve always wanted a kid, maybe two, but definitely one. This was our pre-baby checklist.
- Husband in happy stable job.
- Move (we wanted to move somewhere warmer).
- Take a nice warm tropical vacation first.
- In addition he really wants a baby to be born early summer so he can give them a bike they’ll use all summer
I agreed to all that. But Covid changed things, or maybe I just have changed. He’s in a stable job, but he may shift within the company. With the shift we’re staying in the same state I’d say at least 5 years. Covid ruined our vacation, and I don’t know when we’ll be able to realistically do that- and considering this year is already gone, it could be years. We talked briefly- but this is what I’m thinking.
Why not now? We own our condo, and can save, or move to a house locally since our condos value increased since we bought it. We live near a support system that can help baby sit, and I have a job with a boss who knows my worth. Who understands the need for family. I believe he would want me back and would help me come back in any way he could (I coach gymnastics). I also could continue to walk dogs with my reoccurring clients. So financially we would be okay. I said my parents could babysit when we can finally vacation again, and he wants me to be able to have a drink and enjoy myself so he doesn’t want me to be pregnant or breastfeeding at that time.
I’m 30 and would be 31 by the time baby got here, he is 37, and will be 38 next [name_u]July[/name_u].
So I want to sit down, have it all out on the table, and just tell him where I’m at in a full blown conversation rather than pieces, and just have him tell me when he’s ready. He even said he’d be happy and ok if it was an accident- but I want this to be planned.
How did you and your partner really decide to commit, and had something shifted your plan? I don’t know why I feel so sad knowing it won’t be for a while.