"I wish my mom named me ________."

I always wanted a different name as a child and most people would pronounce my name wrong and I hated it.
I loved the name [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. But maybe spelled [name_f]Lillie[/name_f] instead. I thought it was very simple but pretty and I believe no one would pronounce it wrong. I still don’t fully love my name still as on occasion it gets pronounced wrong but i live with it. I 100% will never name my future children anything that could be to hard to pronounce shall be different but easy to say names as I know how rubbish it can be.

I have a few different names I wish my parents had named me, that they considered but chose my name instead. I particularly think [name_f]Catriona[/name_f] would have suited me better, it still has my name in it, and I could’ve had the nickname [name_u]Kit[/name_u]/[name_f]Kitty[/name_f]!

When I was younger, I thought my name was too old fashioned so I wanted to be named something like [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u] or [name_f]Roselyn[/name_f].

My parents weren’t considering any other names for me but they also loved the names [name_f]Twyla[/name_f] and [name_f]Cecily[/name_f]. I’m not sure if either of those would fit me better but I would certainly enjoy how uncommon they are!

I’ve wanted to be a lot of different things but most consistently it has been [name_f]Ella[/name_f], an anagram of my own name.

I suit my name, but maybe [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f] (they took my name and [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f], although spelled differently, to the hospital but said I didn’t look like a [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f] when I was born) or [name_f]Leah[/name_f]. I love the name [name_f]Leah[/name_f].

[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]! Or the first name my mum thought of calling me Shian [name_f]Ann[/name_f] (I would have gone by [name_f]Sia[/name_f])

[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] for me is spunky and spikey but still elegant and sweet, I really love it. I remember wanting to be called Rowcella and [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] but they wouldn’t suit me

I disliked my name intensely when I was growing up…in a class that contained around 100 girls, there were at least half a dozen w/my name or nickname, plus there was the awful [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] [name_f]Valli[/name_f] song that people used to sing at me. The only name I can remember for sure wishing I had, though, was [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] (I think I was reading the [name_f]Beverly[/name_f] [name_m]Cleary[/name_m] book w/[name_f]Ellen[/name_f] Tibbets in it), but I know there were others (probably [name_u]Julie[/name_u] for one…several of my favorite books as a kid had a [name_u]Julie[/name_u] as the protagonist…& probably [name_u]Ren[/name_u]ée, after my favorite babysitter). Surprisingly, I’ve run into very few people w/my name after going away to college, so IDK what it was about that small city/town/school that had so many same-aged girls w/the same name, especially as my parents weren’t even from that area (I was named after a cousin of my dad’s, which my mom is still mad about 50+ years later…she wanted to name me [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]).

I always wanted to be [name_f]Alia[/name_f] when I was younger. A little later I wanted to be a [name_f]Callie[/name_f], whether that came from [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] or [name_f]Callisto[/name_f] or [name_f]Callista[/name_f]. I still think [name_f]Callie[/name_f] suits me and I use [name_f]Callista[/name_f]/[name_f]Callie[/name_f] online, but I do love my name and wouldn’t change it in real life.

I don’t like my name because it is the most common name of my decade and I feel really boring and dull with it. Names I would have loved to have been called are: [name_f]Johanna[/name_f], [name_f]Laura[/name_f], [name_f]Katharine[/name_f] and/ or [name_f]Kate[/name_f], [name_f]Julia[/name_f], [name_f]Megan[/name_f], [name_f]Bronwen[/name_f].

I find it really interesting that in these few replies people have already mentioned [name_f]Johanna[/name_f], [name_f]Julia[/name_f] x 2, and [name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f]. None of these are particularly trendy or ‘out there’ names but just strong classic and recognisable staples and all are quite feminine without being frilly. Does this tell us something about choosing names for our daughters? I just really wanted a smart, intelligent, recognisable but not overly common name. Though [name_f]Laura[/name_f] and [name_f]Katharine[/name_f]/[name_f]Kate[/name_f] did become very popular it was a decade or 2 later than my age.

Great insight @Araminty!!! In addition to the preference for strong, classic names, there seem to be some other interesting trends emerging…

Multiple responses mentioned:

• disliking being one of many with the same name/having the most popular name of the decade
  • wishing their name was easier to pronounce/a preference for it working in multiple languages
  • disliking strong pop culture or literally references that results in people constantly bringing them up (ex. [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] [name_f]Valli[/name_f] song & [name_f]Alice[/name_f] in Wonderland)

These are such great things to think about as we name the next generation. It’s especially interesting because it seems that the most popular names these days are a global phenomenon ([name_f]Olivia[/name_f], [name_f]Isabella[/name_f], [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Liam[/name_m] etc.) While I would never discourage people from using these gorgeous names, it’s really interesting to hear the perspective of grown women raised with popular names from decades past.

Great things to think about ladies (and gents, if you’re out there!!! :wink: ) This is all really helpful as I get closer to selecting a name for our little girl!!

Thank you for all of the other responses too!! I’ve loved reading the little anecdotes about names you’ve wished for and why! (Ex [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] school classmates, being compared to [name_f]Wednesday[/name_f] [name_m]Adams[/name_m], [name_f]Leah[/name_f], [name_u]Julie[/name_u], [name_f]Heather[/name_f] etc.)

My name is [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]. It’s a beautiful name but no one ever calls me [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]. Its always [name_f]Bella[/name_f] or [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]:-?
I would have chose something that didn’t have such a popular nickname, and one that people couldn’t easily mess up, i.e [name_f]Nicole[/name_f] and [name_u]Nicola[/name_u]. I would probably choose a name like [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] (my mn) or [name_f]Lily[/name_f] etc.
I will probably end up calling my daughter [name_f]Olivia[/name_f].

I once asked my parents what other names they were thinking of for me before I was born, and their only other option was [name_f]Willow[/name_f]. I used to wish I was called that, instead of the ridiculously-popular [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]! It’s funny, because my mum said that, before I was born, both [name_f]Willow[/name_f] and [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] were very unique names in the UK. Since I was born, I think [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] has been in the top 10 in the UK every year! I now like my name, but I would have loved to have been called [name_f]Willow[/name_f] as well.

I have a foreign name with no meeting

The name I loved growing up was [name_f]Samantha[/name_f]. It was due to the American Girl books. [name_f]Samantha[/name_f] was my favorite.
I kinda wish I was a [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] or [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] maybe now in days. Everyone sees me more of an [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] rather than [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] though. I’m in the process of renaming myself so I might have a better chance in the USA. I also like the name [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f], [name_f]Stella[/name_f], and [name_f]Luna[/name_f].

Anything normal at this point would be nice.

I always wanted to be an [name_f]Alia[/name_f] or a [name_f]Callista[/name_f] ‘[name_f]Callie[/name_f]’ and later [name_f]Juno[/name_f].

I like my name ([name_f]Aurora[/name_f]) but I wouldn’t mind being [name_f]Callie[/name_f] or [name_f]Juno[/name_f]…

There are 3 names that at this point in my life I have thought would suit me if I ever considered renaming myself, which I don’t think I will as I do like my name and just don’t see any viable reason to.

->[name_f]Alethea[/name_f]: I pronounce it a-[name_m]LAY[/name_m]-thea which I find absolutely gorgeous and although this isn’t a favourite name of mine I just think the vibe of the name + the meaning etc suit me very well. However, some people pronounce it a-[name_u]LEE[/name_u]-thea, which I don’t like as much, so due to the multiple pronunciations it could ruin it for me.
->[name_f]Christabel[/name_f]: The first time I heard this name I pictured myself with it instantly. I don’t particularly like the name at all, I just think it has a feminine, [name_m]Christian[/name_m], traditional yet somehow also modern aura to it, and I just think this could suit me very well.
->[name_f]Calanthe[/name_f]: This name(unsurprisingly) I just think would suit me, it’s feminine, traditional, there’s bit of mystery surrounding it, it’s a flower name(which are often my favourites) etc.
So yeah, it would be between [name_f]Alethea[/name_f], [name_f]Christabel[/name_f] and [name_f]Calanthe[/name_f]. Perhaps right now I lean towards [name_f]Christabel[/name_f].

As a child, there are 4 names I can remember adoring.

->[name_f]Flora[/name_f]: There was a TV character called [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and I absolutely fell in love with her, I wanted to be just like her and so I fell in love with her name too.
->[name_f]Rose[/name_f]: There was a girl called [name_f]Rose[/name_f] in my class and I thought it was just the most beautiful and simplistic name. (My love for it has not faded!)
->[name_f]Jade[/name_f]: There was a [name_f]Jayda[/name_f] in my school, which is where I got the idea for [name_f]Jade[/name_f] from, and I really fell in love with it for awhile.
->[name_f]Eva[/name_f]: I think I would have got this from [name_f]Eve[/name_f] in the Bible and crossing it with [name_f]Ava[/name_f], as in eev-a.

So yeah, in conclusion as a child I would have most strongly wanted to be called [name_f]Flora[/name_f], and now I’m leaning towards either [name_f]Alethea[/name_f], [name_f]Christabel[/name_f] or [name_f]Calanthe[/name_f].

Congratulations on your baby girl!!

My name is [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] and I do love my name it’s pretty, universal & has a ton of nicknames which suit a range of different personalities. But when I was young I had all different ideas as to what I wanted to be called

[name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u] ~ I just thought it was cool and I liked the nickname [name_u]Kenzie[/name_u]. I was 13 when I thought this name was the epitome of cool glad I’m not called [name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u] now as it’s not my cup of tea.

[name_f]Zipporah[/name_f] ~ On the Jewish side of my family I have a cousin called [name_f]Zipporah[/name_f] I think her name is gorgeous always loved her name! Proper envious of her name & I love her nickname Zippy.

[name_f]Francesca[/name_f] ~ I grew up with a girl called [name_f]Francesca[/name_f] she was gorgeous such a beautiful girl her mum is Jamaican & dad Scottish so pretty honestly and I always loved her name. She didn’t have her name shortened to anything and I always thought it was pretty.

[name_f]Marie[/name_f] - When I was really young this was the name of my favourite dolly and I just remember saying to my mum that [name_f]Marie[/name_f] is the prettiest name ever. I think [name_f]Marie[/name_f] is sweet.

Good luck with everything : )

I’ve always wished my name was [name_f]Winifred[/name_f], [name_f]Freda[/name_f], or [name_f]Frederica[/name_f] (nn [name_u]Freddie[/name_u]); [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]); or Caliadne (nn [name_u]Cali[/name_u]). I’m not entirely certain why those specific names, I just enjoy them and think they’d suit me. I’ve never liked my real name, which was super popular the year I was born and is already rather dated.

When I was younger I used to hate my name. [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. but now I sort of like it. Except that I know about ten other Lilys and I feel really normal. I would love to be named [name_f]Freya[/name_f], [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] ([name_f]Winnie[/name_f]), [name_f]Sada[/name_f], [name_f]Enna[/name_f], [name_f]Cosette[/name_f], or [name_u]Juniper[/name_u].

My name is [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Louise[/name_f] (I have two first names) and I’ve pretty much always liked it. I don’t like that [name_f]Emma[/name_f] is so popular but the name has a lot of meaning to my family so that makes it better.

If I could rename myself I’d probably choose [name_u]Ember[/name_u]. I’ve always thought it was a bad*ss name plus I could go by [name_f]Em[/name_f] which some people already call me. [name_u]Ember[/name_u] [name_f]Louise[/name_f] has a nice ring to it as well.

As a child I wanted to be Luna or Persephone but I almost never went with Persephone bc no one could pronounce it and it was pretty frustrating.

I’ve always loved my first name, so I wouldn’t change it. However, my middle name ([name_f]Nicole[/name_f]) is just “meh” to me. I don’t hate it, but I don’t love it. Also the fact that my first name ([name_f]Erin[/name_f]) ends and my middle name begins with the same letter has always bothered me a little. I feel like it runs together. I would change my middle name to [name_f]Hope[/name_f], which is my grandma’s middle name, but the name she’s always gone by. I think [name_f]Erin[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f] sounds so pretty. I know someone with that name and I envy her. lol.

If I HAD to change my first name, I’d go with something short like my name is. Possibly something like [name_f]Laci[/name_f], [name_f]Bridget[/name_f], or [name_f]Elise[/name_f]. I could even see myself with a unisex name like [name_u]Riley[/name_u], [name_u]Micah[/name_u], or [name_u]Reese[/name_u].