Ianthe

Hello everyone! I was wondering what your thoughts on the name Ianthe are. What would you call a sibling? I am pregnant, but this name is still a hypothetical as it is a bit “out there”. My partner and I have one daughter name Beatrice “Bea”. I would just like some honest opinions for now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

[name_f]Ianthe[/name_f] is an eye-catcher! Quite interesting and special. Feels quite earthy to me, almost in a faerie way. :fairy:

Some that have a similar look and/or feel but aren’t quite as out-there to me are [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], [name_f]Agatha[/name_f], [name_f]Thea[/name_f] / [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] / [name_f]Theodora[/name_f] / [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], [name_u]Anne[/name_u] / [name_f]Annie[/name_f], [name_u]Flannery[/name_u], [name_f]Athena[/name_f], and [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f].

I might suggest names for a sibling to [name_f]Ianthe[/name_f] like [name_f]Iphigenie[/name_f] or [name_f]Odile[/name_f] for a sister, [name_f]Merrigan[/name_f] or [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] for a brother.

[name_m]Ian[/name_m] would also make a beautiful boy name alternative. Sooo nice with [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] “Bea,” too!

[name_f]Ianthe[/name_f] is interesting and unexpected. It has a kind of melodic sound. I think it sounds good with [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f].

Sibling names:

[name_f]Noemi[/name_f] & [name_f]Adelia[/name_f] for sisters
[name_u]Peregrine[/name_u] & [name_m]Aurelian[/name_m] for brothers

[name_f]Ianthe[/name_f] goes very nicely with [name_f]Bea[/name_f]! As a sibset I think the 2 would stand out, draw positive attention and create lots of compliments. :slight_smile:

Now, [name_f]Ianthe[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] sounds a bit offputting in my opinion because [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] is such a common name, or at the very least well known, so for both girls to sound like the names mold well into each other I think they’d have to be introduced as [name_f]Bea[/name_f] & [name_f]Ianthe[/name_f].

[name_f]Ianthe[/name_f] is pretty, sparky and intriguing with a floral and poetic feel.

[name_f]Thisbe[/name_f], [name_f]Gaia[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_f]Cressida[/name_f], [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f], and [name_f]Vita[/name_f] came to mind as sibs

Ianthe and Bea is such a great pairing! I love Ianthe, it’s got that trendy Greek mythology vibe but it’s peppier and less fanciful than say, Persephone as well as being a breath of fresh air. Beatrice may be more popular but I find it sparkly and inspiring because of Shakespeare’s wonderful Beatrice, so I think these two work well :relaxed: they sound like a very cool pair of sisters to me.

ooh I do like [name_f]Ianthe[/name_f] with [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]!

[name_f]Ianthe[/name_f] is lovely and I really like the combo with the beautiful [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]. I do prefer [name_f]Ione[/name_f] which also means violet flowers, also [name_f]Iona[/name_f] and [name_f]Iola[/name_f], meaning violet coloured dawn which is probably as beautiful and poetic a name meaning as it’s possible to get. These 3 are on my list. But [name_f]Ianthe[/name_f] is lovely too, it has a literary edge that works well with [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] / [name_f]Bea[/name_f] and a soft whimsy to it. It also fits with the current naming trend for Classical Greek names while remaining distinct and not one of the ‘usual suspects.’
A gorgeous choice, I’d be delighted to see I used.

It’s surprising, delicate, and pretty. A pleasant lavender colour, and I can see it gaining in popularity - the “the” element seems to be enjoying some attention (think Thea). I’d love to meet an [name_f]Ianthe[/name_f]. I’d name a brother and sister [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] and [name_f]Thalia[/name_f].

Thank you so much! [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] and [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] are on my list. I just love [name_m]Lysander[/name_m]! It’s absolutely beautiful!

1 Like

I adore [name_f]Ianthe[/name_f]! I actually know one and it seems interesting and unusual but not too “out there” to me. I think it’s got just the right balance of softness and strength to match [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] nicely, despite the difference in popularity.

The only stumbling block is pronunciation: ee-an-thee or eye-an-thee?

Thank you! I like [name_f]Naomi[/name_f]!

I know a little [name_f]Ianthe[/name_f] and she wears it well, so it doesn’t seem to strange to me. I think her sisters names are [name_f]Isla[/name_f] and [name_u]Ivy[/name_u].

For sisters to [name_f]Ianthe[/name_f] I would suggest…

[name_f]Bianca[/name_f]
[name_u]Cleo[/name_u]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_f]Dinah[/name_f]
[name_u]Nova[/name_u]
[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Sariah[/name_f]

eye-AN-thee in [name_f]English[/name_f].

[name_f]Ianthe[/name_f] is gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!