I'd love advice for our daughter's name!

Hello,
Our first child will be here in just over a month! We plan to keep the name secret until she’s born, but the problem is we haven’t even decided on one yet - yikes! I’d love to hear thoughts on my top choices. Our last name is one syllable, so I’m leaning towards a first name with multiple syllables. The middle name will be either Nafisa (my pick, for sentimental reasons) or [name]Grace[/name] (hubby’s favorite name, but it has the one-syllable issue). Thanks for your advice!!! :slight_smile:

Here’s the list (with my questions/reservations noted):

[name]Brooklyn[/name] (the only name we both agree on, but it doesn’t have a deep meaning)
[name]Cecilia[/name] (I always get the song stuck in my head, though!)
[name]Eden[/name] (too much at risk for “garden of…” jokes?)
[name]Eliana[/name] (worried about pronunciation)
[name]Evelyn[/name] (hubby thinks it sounds like an old lady, but I think it’s classic)
[name]Isabel[/name] (too popular?)
[name]Luka[/name] (hubby hates this because of a bad song, but I love it)
[name]Madeline[/name] (worried about spelling issues)
[name]Violet[/name] (same name as my aunt, not sure if that matters?)
[name]Viviana[/name] (worried about pronunciation)

Any other ideas are definitely welcome! :slight_smile:

Congratulations!

[name]Brooklyn[/name] this one is way too trendy for me and doesn’t have nearly as much substance as all of your other choices.

[name]Cecilia[/name] love it! The song will not go through your head once you’re holding her, unless of course you’re humming her to sleep :slight_smile:

[name]Eden[/name] no I love this too. Beautiful, simple, unique but classic.

[name]Eliana[/name] I like [name]Eden[/name] better

[name]Evelyn[/name] is adorable and nn [name]Evie[/name] is too cute! I also like [name]Evangeline[/name].

[name]Isabel[/name] yeah pretty popular

[name]Luka[/name] a great boys name to me

[name]Madeline[/name] spelling and VERY popular

[name]Violet[/name] I think its nice to honor your aunt! I like others better but this is still very sweet.

[name]Viviana[/name] I prefer [name]Vivienne[/name] personally

You have some beautiful choices here!

[name]Brooklyn[/name] (the only name we both agree on, but it doesn’t have a deep meaning): [name]Brooklyn[/name] is very, very, very, very trendy name… :frowning:

[name]Cecilia[/name] (I always get the song stuck in my head, though!): I think the classic [name]Cecilia[/name] is lovely (love [name]Celia[/name], too), but if it annoys you to hear the song, I don’t think it’s the name for you !:slight_smile:

[name]Eden[/name] (too much at risk for “garden of…” jokes?): [name]Eden[/name] isn’t my style, but I think it’s very pretty. The name is really gaining in popularity, and I don’t think she’ll be at risk of [name]Eden[/name] jokes.

[name]Eliana[/name] (worried about pronunciation): I think this Hebrew name is gorgeous, and its use is widespread in many cultures. I pronounce it ell-ee-on-uh.

[name]Evelyn[/name] (hubby thinks it sounds like an old lady, but I think it’s classic): [name]Evelyn[/name] has become quite popular (#55), but I think it’s a gorgeous name. [name]Genevieve[/name] and [name]Evangeline[/name] are other names you can use to reach the [name]Evie[/name] nickname.

[name]Isabel[/name] (too popular?): While very popular, [name]Isabel[/name] isn’t as popular as the pandemic [name]Isabella[/name], but to me, it’s too close for comfort! (You can type in a name in the “check out a name” box to read name opinions and rankings.)

[name]Luka[/name] (hubby hates this because of a bad song, but I love it): This is a boys’ name for me ([name]Luca[/name]), and your husband doesn’t like it, which is very important.

[name]Madeline[/name] (worried about spelling issues): This is very popular, too, and as you said, you’re concerned about spelling issues, which isn’t good.

[name]Violet[/name] (same name as my aunt, not sure if that matters?): I love [name]Violet[/name], and if you love your aunt and want your baby named after her, I’d go for it!

[name]Viviana[/name] (worried about pronunciation): I love [name]Viviana[/name], too, and pronounce it [name]Viv[/name]-ee-on-uh.

Other ideas:

[name]Amelia[/name] (nn [name]Mia[/name] or even [name]Milly[/name])
[name]Anneliese[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Bronwen[/name]/[name]Bronwyn[/name] (instead of [name]Brooklyn[/name])
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]/[name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]/[name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Hope[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Marielle[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Romilly[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Simone[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]

Good luck!

My favourite from your list is [name]Evelyn[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Brooklyn[/name]- this is the only one on your list that I don’t like at ALL. It doesn’t seem to go with the style of the rest of your list.
[name]Cecilia[/name]- such a beautiful name, it’s on my list. [name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Grace[/name] is so pretty!
[name]Eden[/name]- I don’t think jokes would be a problem. I like this name. Definitely couldn’t use [name]Grace[/name], and it doesn’t sound too good with Nafisa, either.
[name]Eliana[/name]- I don’t think pronunciation should be a problem. This is a really pretty name, it’s my friend’s niece’s name, I really like it.
[name]Evelyn[/name]- I know everyone on nameberry loves this one, but I just don’t
[name]Isabel[/name]- I think it’s too popular, yeah.
[name]Luka[/name]- I agree with [name]Jill[/name], [name]Luca[/name] is a boys name.
[name]Madeline[/name]- I like it, but would be worried about spelling and pronunciation and the nn [name]Maddy[/name] is SUPER common
[name]Violet[/name]- one of my favorite names, I think it would be lovely to name your daughter after your aunt.
[name]Viviana[/name]- not a big fan of this one.

If it were me, I’d definitely pick [name]Eliana[/name] [name]Violet[/name] (or [name]Grace[/name], but I think [name]Eliana[/name] [name]Violet[/name] is just so sweet!). The more I think about [name]Eliana[/name], the more I like her. It’s familiar but uncommon, and I don’t believe she’s in danger or jumping up the charts soon. I think I’m adding her to my list, actually (I have [name]Elaine[/name]/[name]Elaina[/name] for my [name]MIL[/name], but I think [name]Eliana[/name] isn’t too much of a stretch!)

[name]Hi[/name]

[name]Brooklyn[/name] – has a deep meaning for me. I lived there for 8 years. My great grandmother settled there from the old country. My grandmother and mother grew up there and my husband’s grandfather and father are from there. My husband is from Manhattan. No one seems to want to name their child Manhattan even though it’s more glamorous.

[name]Cecilia[/name] – great name
[name]Eden[/name] – sounds like a stripper to me
[name]Eliana[/name] – el-ee-AN-a? If you are expecting it to be pronounced el-ee-AN-a I think you are ok.
[name]Evelyn[/name] – Nice
[name]Isabel[/name] (too popular?) – yes. Much too popular.
[name]Luka[/name] – I agree with hubby. I hope I do not get that song stuck in my head now.
[name]Madeline[/name] – Popular but nice
[name]Violet[/name] – [name]Love[/name] it!
[name]Viviana[/name] – viv-ee-AN-a. [name]Aren[/name]'t most people familiar with this name?

Good luck. I really would jettison “[name]Brooklyn[/name].” It is a great place, but a terrible name.

I have to weigh in on [name]Eliana[/name]. I think it’s a beautiful, distinctive name, with the potential for mispronunciation but one of the names I think is worth it. One of my best friends growing up was named [name]Eliana[/name], so I’m biased towards it in that way, too. The most common mispronunciation I heard was “[name]Elaina[/name],” which was not uncommon but not constant and easily corrected; they just tend to automatically mix up the “a” and the “i.” It’s pronounced [name]El[/name]-ee-ah-nuh. Anyway, you have a great list on the whole!

I agree that you have a terrific list to choose from. Personally, I prefer a first name that does not end in “a” since your middle name choice ends in an “a” which may be too sing-song (although the middle name isn’t often stated out loud). My favs from your list (and [name]Jill[/name]'s) are:

[name]Eden[/name] - very pretty (be ready for [name]Edie[/name] as a nickname).

[name]Evelyn[/name] - does sound a bit dated to me, however, I like [name]Eve[/name]

[name]Isabel[/name] (too popular?- yes

[name]Luka[/name] (hubby hates this because of a bad song- I agree with your hubby!

[name]Madeline[/name] (worried about spelling issues): Like this name- My friend just named her daughter [name]Madelyn[/name].

[name]Violet[/name] (same name as my aunt, not sure if that matters?): I like [name]Violet[/name]

[name]Viviana[/name] (worried about pronunciation): prefer [name]Vivienne[/name]

Other ideas:
[name]Annalee[/name]

[name]Genevieve[/name] - love this name - My neighbor’s little girls spells it with a “J” and her nickname is “jenna”

[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Julianne[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]

Best of luck!

I agree that you have a terrific list to choose from. Personally, I prefer a first name that does not end in “a” since your middle name choice ends in an “a” which may be too sing-song (although the middle name isn’t often stated out loud). My favs from your list (and [name]Jill[/name]'s) are:

[name]Eden[/name] - very pretty (be ready for [name]Edie[/name] as a nickname).

[name]Evelyn[/name] - does sound a bit dated to me, however, I like [name]Eve[/name]

[name]Isabel[/name] (too popular?- yes

[name]Luka[/name] (hubby hates this because of a bad song- I agree with your hubby!

[name]Madeline[/name] (worried about spelling issues): Like this name- My friend just named her daughter [name]Madelyn[/name].

[name]Violet[/name] (same name as my aunt, not sure if that matters?): I like [name]Violet[/name]

[name]Viviana[/name] (worried about pronunciation): prefer [name]Vivienne[/name]

Other ideas:
[name]Annalee[/name]

[name]Genevieve[/name] - love this name - My neighbor’s little girls spells it with a “J” and her nickname is “jenna”

[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Julianne[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]

Best of luck!

[name]Brooklyn[/name] - Sorry, but no. Too trendy. Too flippant.
[name]Cecilia[/name] - lol, what song is that? I’m very partial to [name]Cecilia[/name], it’s gorgeous and underused. [name]Light[/name], airy and feminine.
[name]Eden[/name] - THere are enough [name]Eden[/name]'s floating around that she probably won’t get any Garden teasing. I know the cutest little [name]Eden[/name], nn [name]Edie[/name] :slight_smile:
[name]Eliana[/name] (worried about pronunciation) - she’ll have to share the playground with all of the other little [name]Elle[/name]/a/ie’s, but this is very feminine so go for it!
[name]Evelyn[/name] - No, this is lovely - the world could do with more [name]Evelyn[/name]'s! The nn [name]Eve[/name] or [name]Evie[/name] spruces it up.
[name]Isabel[/name] - very trendy, but it’s a classic (and far prettier than [name]Isabella[/name] IMHO).
[name]Luka[/name] - boys name.
[name]Madeline[/name] - mm, most people these days have to spell their names out so I wouldn’t worry about this. But yeah, [name]Madel/nameine and all of her bastard cousins (I’m looking at YOU, [name]Madelyn[/name] and [name]Madison[/name]) are pretty popular.
[name]Violet[/name] - This is just delightful, and even more so if there’s a family connection!
[name]Viviana[/name] - it’s pronounced viv-ee-ahh-na, right? [name]Bright[/name] and jovial.
I vote for [name]Eden[/name] or [name]Violet[/name].

Our first child will be here in just over a month! We plan to keep the name secret until she’s born, but the problem is we haven’t even decided on one yet - yikes! I’d love to hear thoughts on my top choices. Our last name is one syllable, so I’m leaning towards a first name with multiple syllables. The middle name will be either Nafisa (my pick, for sentimental reasons) or [name]Grace[/name] (hubby’s favorite name, but it has the one-syllable issue). Thanks for your advice!!! :slight_smile:

Here’s the list (with my questions/reservations noted):

[name]Brooklyn[/name] – really don’t like it. Very trendy and I suspect it will have a very short shelf life.
[name]Cecilia[/name] – love [name]Cecilia[/name] and also [name]Cecily[/name]. Great nns – [name]Celia[/name], [name]Celie[/name], Cessy, etc. I would use this name.
[name]Eden[/name] – this has a really pretty sound, but I think it will be trendy and sound very dated in twenty years.
[name]Eliana[/name] (worried about pronunciation) – Sorry, I don’t like it. But I like it better than [name]Brooklyn[/name].
[name]Evelyn[/name] (hubby thinks it sounds like an old lady, but I think it’s classic) – It is a classic name that is bouncing back into style. I love it.
[name]Isabel[/name] (too popular?) – Yes!
[name]Luka[/name] (hubby hates this because of a bad song, but I love it) – For me, this is a darling boy’s name.
[name]Madeline[/name] (worried about spelling issues) – I love [name]Madeline[/name], but it is way too popular.
[name]Violet[/name] (same name as my aunt, not sure if that matters?) – You could name her after your aunt. People do it all the time.
[name]Viviana[/name] (worried about pronunciation) – I prefer [name]Vivian[/name] or [name]Vivienne[/name] nn [name]Vivi[/name].

There are some great names here. Considering your overall style, I would definitely ditch [name]Eden[/name] and [name]Brooklyn[/name].

Any other ideas are definitely welcome! :)[/quote]

I really like [name]Brooklyn[/name], [name]Eden[/name] and [name]Madeline[/name] :slight_smile:

My ex had a daughter named [name]Eden[/name] and she never got teased about the garden of eden… plus, there are way worse things to be teased about!

I think [name]Madeline[/name] is my favorite out of the bunch. She will probably ger her name spelled wrong sometimes, but you are using a traditional spelling.

So many good names on there.

A few more similiar ones: [name]Veronica[/name], [name]Elyce[/name], [name]Greta[/name], [name]Juliet[/name] (already mentioned but love!), [name]Leona[/name], [name]Nicole[/name], [name]Claire[/name]…

I pretty much agree with everyone else, but I’ll add my comments anyways :slight_smile:

[name]Brooklyn[/name] - Berlynne/[name]Berlin[/name], [name]Daelyn[/name], [name]Holland[/name], [name]Jessamine[/name], [name]Cherilyn[/name], [name]Jocelyn[/name], [name]Shaelyn[/name]…really anything but [name]Brooklyn[/name] might be good if you don’t want something really common. [name]Brooklyn[/name] is the new [name]Ashley[/name].

[name]Cecilia[/name] - I don’t know the song and I listen to A LOT of music. As far as I’m concerned the only name permanently retired due to a song is [name]Lola[/name] :slight_smile: I love [name]Cecilia[/name] and [name]Cecily[/name]. I think [name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Grace[/name] or [name]Cecily[/name] Nafisa would be nice.

[name]Eden[/name] - This name has been on the brink for 20 years, I just don’t think it’s going to go crazy popular anytime soon. I think it is beautiful, but I don’t particularly think it goes well with [name]Grace[/name] or Nafisa.

[name]Eliana[/name] - It’s beautiful, but if you are thinking to just call her [name]Ellie[/name], she’ll be in a crowd of Ellies in school. Otherwise, [name]Eliana[/name] is a winner :slight_smile:

[name]Evelyn[/name] - old lady names are back with a vengence and I doubt she’d be alone as [name]Evelyn[/name], especially since [name]Ava[/name] is overpopular. I agree with your man, it’s definitely nursing home material, and if that is his reason for disliking it, I don’t think you’ll be able to shake it.

[name]Isabel[/name] - definitely too popular, with good reason! It’s a beautiful name. I’m gonna fight for [name]Jezebel[/name]. I love it, but I’m too chicken to use it! If you’re the daring type, PLEASE use it!! Maybe Jessabelle? :slight_smile: I’m dead serious about that.

[name]Luka[/name] - it’s a boy’s name and a song about an abused kid. Take a pass on this for about 10 more years.

[name]Madeline[/name] - this name used to be either [name]Madeleine[/name], [name]Madeline[/name] or [name]Madelyn[/name], overwhelmingly the first spelling. Nowdays, it’s super popular ([name]Maddie[/name], anyone?) and it’s spelled a bizillion ways. You will have to spell it over and over and over again, which may drive you insane (I had to spell [name]Kellie[/name] millions of times with my first daughter and I wouldn’t recommend that!)

[name]Violet[/name] - This is a beautiful color name and I’m all about the colors! However, if your husband is anti-granny, I can’t imagine he’d go for this one. He may go for [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Crimson[/name], [name]Tamsin[/name], [name]Primrose[/name], or even [name]Pansy[/name].

[name]Viviana[/name] - beautiful name without that piney resthome scent! It’s classic but so underused both today and yesterday that you and the man might be able to agree. I also think it rocks with [name]Grace[/name] and Nafisa.

Good luck with the naming! I’m sure you’ll find the perfect name

thanks to everyone for all the great feedback! in my ongoing search, i’ve crafted a nice little excel spreadsheet with all the votes of yea or nea. :slight_smile:

i’m super surprised with the brooklyn feedback! maybe it depends on which part of the country you live, but i’ve never ever known anyone (new babies included) with that name. and, i’m among the last of my 30-something friends to have a baby. but, glad i asked!

thanks for all the new suggestions as well. :slight_smile:

I think [name]Isabel[/name] and [name]Madeline[/name] are stunning. I wouldn’t worry about them being too popular. My sister named her daughter [name]Madeleine[/name] (French spelling) and the spelling has never been a problem in school. She actually doesn’t run in to as many [name]Madeline[/name]'s as you would think that she might encounter these days.

[name]Brooklyn[/name]- I just don’t care for this name. Sounds was too trendy.

[name]Cecilia[/name] I think this is a stunning name. Very regal, elegant and beautiful! Not at all popular, which I think is great! [name]Lia[/name] would also be a beautiful nickname or even Cece? Very cute!

[name]Eden[/name] It’s different, sounds too 70’s to me.

[name]Eliana[/name]- A little hard to say. It’s pretty though.

[name]Evelyn[/name] It was old lady now old those grandma names are coming back! this is one of my favorites. So beautiful and timeless. [name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Grace[/name] is stunning. [name]Evey[/name] in such a sweet nickname too! I [name]LOVE[/name] IT!

[name]Isabel[/name] It is gaining is popularity. I think it’s okay.

[name]Luka[/name] I just don’t relaly like this for a girl.

[name]Madeline[/name]- I like this!! Very classic, elegant and not crazy popular! Would you pronounce it [name]Madalyn[/name] or [name]Madeline[/name]? Either way it’s a winner!

[name]Violet[/name]- [name]LOVE[/name] IT! One of my favorite flower names, so vintage and fun. I don’t know of any in my area. [name]Violet[/name] [name]Grace[/name] also sounds perfect!

[name]Viviana[/name]- I’m not a big fan. I prefer [name]Vivienne[/name].

My favorites are…
[name]Violet[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Grace[/name]