ideas for a name to combine Czech and Indian heritage?

Hello,

I am looking for ideas for names that reference to my Czech and my husband’s [name_f]Indian[/name_f] origins.

One idea I had was Elishka – [name_m]Eli[/name_m]ška is a Czech version of [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] and I somewhere saw that “[name_m]Eli[/name_m]” has Sanskrit roots to mean “smart woman”. What do you think of that name?

Or would you suggest anything else? Perhaps a first name with reference to one culture and a middle name to the other…?

Thanks for any ideas :slight_smile:

Elishka is nice, but to be honest sounds a bit strange. I like the sanskrit meaning of “[name_m]Eli[/name_m]”, I think smart woman is a great quality to bestow/hope for in a child, especially girls, in a world where appearance seems to be almost everything.

[name_m]Reading[/name_m] the title of your post, I imediately thought of the names [name_f]Deva[/name_f], [name_f]Maya[/name_f], [name_f]Neha[/name_f], [name_f]Priya[/name_f] and [name_f]Indira[/name_f]. Are they useable and easily pronounceable/adaptable to Czech? [name_f]Deva[/name_f] is very, very feminine and beautiful.

Thanks for the ideas! Both [name_f]Deva[/name_f] and [name_f]Neha[/name_f] would work in Czech too. And as an added bonus, [name_f]Neha[/name_f] means the same thing in Czech and Hindi :slight_smile: [name_m]Will[/name_m] definitely consider.

Hello! I am Czech-American and spent four months in Prague in 2006. Are you looking for both boys’ and girls’ names?

I wil give you some suggestions of well-known and well-used Czech names. I am not sure how well these names tie into [name_f]Indian[/name_f] culture, however.

I have to say I do [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Neha[/name_f]. One of my best friends, who grew up in [name_f]India[/name_f], is named [name_f]Neha[/name_f]. Her daughter is [name_f]Anika[/name_f], which is definitely a globetrotter name! [name_f]Anika[/name_f] is popular in [name_f]India[/name_f] and across many Central European countries.

Here are some suggestions. I hope you find a name you both love! I put an asterisk by the names I think would translate best in Hindi, but I am definitely not an expert. Good luck!

GIRLS
[name_f]Adriana[/name_f]
[name_f]Anika[/name_f]*
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]*
[name_f]Daniela[/name_f]
[name_f]Jana[/name_f]
[name_f]Kamila[/name_f]
[name_f]Karina[/name_f]*
[name_f]Karolina[/name_f]
[name_f]Katerina[/name_f]
[name_f]Klara[/name_f]
Lenka*
[name_f]Liliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Marika[/name_f]*
[name_f]Milena[/name_f]
[name_f]Hana[/name_f]
[name_f]Petra[/name_f]
[name_f]Tereza[/name_f], [name_f]Terezie[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Veronika[/name_f]
[name_f]Zina[/name_f]*

BOYS
[name_m]Adam[/name_m]
[name_m]Anton[/name_m]
[name_u]Dominik[/name_u]
[name_m]Emil[/name_m]*
[name_m]Filip[/name_m]
[name_m]Ivan[/name_m]*
[name_u]Jan[/name_u]
[name_m]Jiri[/name_m]
[name_m]Josef[/name_m]
[name_m]Lukas[/name_m]*
[name_m]Marek[/name_m]*
[name_m]Milos[/name_m]
[name_m]Nikolas[/name_m]*
Ondrej
[name_m]Oskar[/name_m]
[name_m]Pavel[/name_m]*
[name_m]Petr[/name_m]
Radek*
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]
[name_m]Viktor[/name_m]*

I love Elishka - but prefer [name_f]Eliska[/name_f] spelling. I pronounce both Elishka/[name_m]Eli[/name_m]ška and [name_f]Eliska[/name_f] the same.

Keep in mind with [name_f]Anika[/name_f] that it’s pronounced quite differently in [name_f]India[/name_f] vs. the US. I’m not sure about Europe. So in [name_f]India[/name_f] it’s uh-NEEK-uh, where as in the US it tends to be [name_f]ANNE[/name_f]-ik-uh or AHN-ik-uh.

[name_f]Anushka[/name_f] works in [name_f]India[/name_f] and [name_f]Russia[/name_f], as does [name_f]Sonia[/name_f]. Perhaps one of the two would also work in Czech.

I also love Elishka. I think it would be very easily pronounced in [name_f]India[/name_f]. They have a lot of names with very similar sound combinations. So that would work well.

[name_f]Meera[/name_f], [name_f]Mina[/name_f]/[name_f]Meena[/name_f] and [name_f]Nora[/name_f] also work in [name_f]Indian[/name_f] and many European languages.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] another note of caution (which may be totally obvious to you): You want to make sure the name you pick fits with the specific naming tradition of your husband’s [name_f]Indian[/name_f] family’s community. That is, many of these names scream “religious Hindu” or “totally Muslim.” If his family is one, and you pick a name from the other, that may be upsetting to the family.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all,

me (Czech) and my husband ([name_f]Indian[/name_f]) are expecting boy and looking for some name which will sound good in both languages and will be easy to pronounce for both families. If you have any ideas I will be happy if you will share them :slight_smile:

[name_m]Till[/name_m] now I have this list of names: [name_m]Aran[/name_m], Anay, [name_u]Robin[/name_u], Rehan, [name_m]Nikhil[/name_m], [name_m]Sameer[/name_m] and Milind, where Milind is our favorite. What do you think about these names and do you have any other? Thanks for help :slight_smile:

My husband is Czech and we currently live in Prague. I love [name_m]Eli[/name_m]ška! After a brief skim through our “[name_m]Jak[/name_m] se bude vase dite jmenovat?” book, I would think these could work in [name_f]India[/name_f] too (but I really don’t know):

[name_f]Mira[/name_f]
[name_f]Nela[/name_f]
[name_f]Iva[/name_f]
Iveta
[name_f]Eva[/name_f]
[name_f]Ema[/name_f]
[name_f]Jana[/name_f] - but how are Js pronounced in [name_f]India[/name_f]?
[name_f]Kaja[/name_f] - same?
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
Etela
Aleška
[name_f]Delie[/name_f] or [name_f]Delia[/name_f]
[name_f]Klara[/name_f]
[name_f]Adela[/name_f]
[name_f]Vita[/name_f]
Radka
[name_f]Pavla[/name_f]
[name_f]Petra[/name_f]
[name_f]Milena[/name_f]

I’m sure there’s more that would work well!