Identical twin boys with older sister!

Hello! We have 2-week-old identical twin boys. In the hospital we named them [name_u]August[/name_u] (Auggie) and [name_m]Otto[/name_m]. Both are family names.

They have an older sister with the name of Sommer—which is my mother’s maiden name.

[name_f]My[/name_f] question is, Is it “weird” to have siblings named [name_f]Sommer[/name_f] and [name_u]August[/name_u] since both reference the summertime? Especially since the third child, [name_m]Otto[/name_m], does not have that same association?

[name_m]Even[/name_m] though we adore the name [name_m]Auggie[/name_m], we’re considering changing his name due to this issue—but replacement family names are slim pickings so we may need to go outside of the family. Would love to hear some perspectives on this!

1 Like

I don’t find it weird. Especially with it being your mother’s maiden name and not just the name [name_f]Summer[/name_f].
In fact, I think the spelling [name_f]Sommer[/name_f] ties it with [name_m]Otto[/name_m] with the unique O there.

Congrats on your twins! :blush:

5 Likes

[name_u]Welcome[/name_u] to Nameberry and congratulations!

To answer your question – not weird! I might wonder about the connection between [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_f]Sommer[/name_f], but it would be a passing thought. Since they’re all family names and it sounds like you’re primarily using [name_m]Auggie[/name_m], I wouldn’t change a thing.

2 Likes

I think it’s fine :person_shrugging: Both feel solidly ‘namey’ to me.

Plus - [name_m]Otto[/name_m] and [name_f]Sommer[/name_f] both have double middle letters, so they’ve got that connection. [name_m]Otto[/name_m] and [name_u]August[/name_u] both start with vowels and are ‘first-namey’ rather than ‘surnamey’ (like Sommer).

However, it depends how much it bothers you - would you feel irritated if people asked about it? How important is the honour name? Is there another one you could use? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you plan to have further children which would ‘balance’ it out?

2 Likes

I don’t think it would be a problem. [name_f]Sommer[/name_f] feels quite name-y to me, especially since it is not spelt [name_f]Summer[/name_f]. I think because you love August’s name so much I wouldn’t change it, especially since [name_u]August[/name_u] has the nickname [name_m]Auggie[/name_m] which doesn’t have the summertime association.

2 Likes

I think [name_m]Otto[/name_m] and [name_m]Auggie[/name_m] are great twin names!

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies!

@Greyblue I don’t think I would be terribly irritated if people asked me about it, but I guess the bigger thing is that it’s unintentional and it will seem intentional. I just imagine situations where, for example, the kids are older (after the [name_m]Auggie[/name_m] nickname wears off), and they get introduced as [name_f]Sommer[/name_f] and [name_u]August[/name_u], which phonetically and with no context of family names, sounds like [name_f]Summer[/name_f] and August—and people will assume their parents were SO into summertime they named their kids this way!

I recognize I may be overthinking this! As I’ve already been told that.

Also, we don’t plan to have any more kids, just these three.

It may be important to note my wife does not think it’s a problem either, but she’s okay with changing August’s name if it’s important to me. However, I haven’t been able to identify any good alternate names to date!

3 Likes

I get why you’d be concerned but I think it’s fine!

1 Like

If you introduced them, [name_f]Summer[/name_f], [name_m]Otto[/name_m], and [name_u]August[/name_u] I don’t think I would even notice. [name_m]Otto[/name_m] and [name_u]Augie[/name_u] skiing great together.

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! Many congratulations first of all. I don’t find it odd at all. I think all 3 names fit together very well. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if it was ‘Summer’ itself I still don’t think it’s anything to be concerned about :blush:

Perhaps if it was a situation of being the likes of [name_f]Summer[/name_f], [name_f]Autumn[/name_f] and [name_m]Frank[/name_m] for example then you might notice an odd one out haha- but I feel your names fit together perfectly with no issues at all!

1 Like

Congratulations! It isn’t weird at all. You have chosen wonderful names for them and they all have a subtle connection as pps have referenced so I wouldn’t change a thing,

1 Like

@stwestg8 I think you have to go with what will make you feel comfortable - if it will inwardly make you feel a bit icky, frustrated or ‘they’re thinking we did this intentionally’ every time you introduce your kids, then it may well be worth changing, as I think that feeling would get annoying if it endured.
I’d say, consider other name options over the next few weeks, while also seeing how you feel/how people react when you introduce the kids to them?
Naming is tricky - it’s totally understandable that you’re thinking about everything :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not weird at all! I think this is a great sibset!

1 Like

Congratulations! And I agree with the previous posters, if you love his name and it suits him then keep it. Family names are so lovely I’d hate for you to have to forego an honor name. I imagine you might get past the worry about assumptions eventually but if it bothers you there’s no shame in a change.

The obvious alternatives keep the “Auggie” nickname
[name_u]Augustine[/name_u]
[name_m]Augustin[/name_m]
[name_m]Augustus[/name_m]
[name_u]Austin[/name_u]

Similar names
[name_u]Arthur[/name_u]
[name_m]Atticus[/name_m]
[name_u]Vaughn[/name_u]

Names that also mean great or magnificent
[name_u]Darren[/name_u]
[name_m]Magnus[/name_m]
[name_u]Maxwell[/name_u]

1 Like

I think [name_f]Sommer[/name_f] and [name_u]August[/name_u] are fine together, especially because it is not spelled [name_f]Summer[/name_f]. I also appreciate you naming your children free family members. It is such an honor to them and it would be such a dishonor to rename [name_u]August[/name_u]. I come from a family where many of us are named after deceased relatives, by the way.

1 Like