If I use Caroline is Charlie gone?

If I name my little girl [name]Caroline[/name], do I lose [name]Charles[/name]/[name]Charlie[/name] as a possibility for my next child because they come from the same root?

I wouldn’t use both names in the same family, but some people might. I think it’s important for each child to have a name that sounds different from their siblings, so they each know that they are expected to be an individual.

I think you can definitely use [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Charlie[/name] together… I actually think they make a cute sibset! I don’t think similar names with similar roots are an issue unless they sound a lot alike… for example, I have a friend who’s boys are [name]Harry[/name] and [name]Henry[/name] - those are like practially the same name. [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Charlie[/name] just sounds like two very classic names, and I doubt anyone would read into it at all.
I love both names, btw!

I wouldn’t name sibs [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Charlie[/name]. They are far too close. I have a [name]Caroline[/name] and even though I have long loved [name]Charlotte[/name] it is out of the running for us as a baby name because [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name] are too closely related.

Because of the [name]Charles[/name] root, I personally wouldn’t use both names, either. I do love both names, though! :slight_smile:

Good luck, [name]Erin[/name]!

Honestly it wasn’t until reading another post did I realize that [name]Caroline[/name] was a form of [name]Charles[/name]. I’m not sure how many other people (besides those here and other name lovers) would make the connection. With out realizing the connection I think the two sound very sweet together. I guess I better hit the books and figure out what other name connections I’m missing. :slight_smile:

I love both [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Charlie[/name]. I think it’s totally fine to use both names - I really like them together! While the names are related, I think it’s okay because they sound differnet enough. I know a family with three children named [name]John[/name], [name]Joanna[/name], and [name]Jack[/name], which is a little bit too much in my opinion.

[name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Charlie[/name] sound great together. Two of my absolute favourite names.

I would however, feel self conscious about the close relationship of the names and therefore make one of the names a mn.

If [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name] can do it, you can too!

[name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Charles[/name] Bingley, siblings in Pride and Prejudice.

I think it is fine too. I wouldn’t do [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Charlie[/name], but I think [name]Caroline[/name] & [name]Charlie[/name] make a great sibset. Good luck!

I think they’re too close, personally … and in [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name]'s time it was reasonably common to give siblings very similar names, especially after their father ([name]George[/name] may well have children [name]George[/name] and [name]Georgiana[/name], or [name]Henry[/name] might have [name]Harold[/name] and [name]Henrietta[/name], etc.).

I think they work well together! The only real similarity, in my mind, is that they both start with C, which is kind of sweet.

I’ve heard of sibling sets that are a lot more matchy than those two, but personally, I still wouldn’t use them together. I think they are great names, but are a little too alike to be siblings for my taste.