If names couldn't be changed, but instead re-ordered

As you might know, changing your own name is impossible or at least very complicated in many countries. However, re-ordering your given names to turn the one you actually go by into your first name is comparably easy here in [name_u]Germany[/name_u]. To which my fiance promptly said: “So you could give your child like a dozen very different names and they could just pick the one they like best?” And that started the idea for this thread.

If you were to give your child a variety of names from which to choose, what kinds of names would you include? Should there be names that suite different lifestyles? Different languages? Full forms as well as nickname names? And most importantly: What names would you use to fill these slots?

6 Likes

I’d probably do four names

1. one that I love as the first
  2. one that was more classic/familiar
  3. one that could be used for whatever gender was not assigned at birth
  4. a more gp name

So maybe:

[name_f]Sarai[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_u]Glow[/name_u]
[name_f]Cherith[/name_f] [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] [name_u]Hero[/name_u]
[name_f]Una[/name_f] [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] [name_u]Jem[/name_u] [name_u]Kestrel[/name_u]
[name_f]Mabli[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_u]Remy[/name_u] [name_u]Ocean[/name_u]
[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Henry[/name_u] [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_m]Sholto[/name_m] [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_f]Lois[/name_f] Pergerine

9 Likes

I would want to include 1) a short and simple name 2) a long, regal name 3) a gender neutral name.

peter constantine wren
clara elizabeth forest

2 Likes

That’s interesting. I only plan on having one child for now, so this is in accordance with that.

[name_f]My[/name_f] criteria:

• I’d think I would have anywhere from three names to five. Usually, I only have middle names for ‘combo’ purposes. Realistically, saying this only for myself, I would give them only a FN.
  • I like the idea of having an unisex names, as also mentioned by the previous posters. I’m not that good with unisex names, so there may be some names that don’t fit.

I think:
5 - [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] [name_u]Piper[/name_u] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Luna[/name_f]
4 - [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] [name_f]Luna[/name_f] [name_u]Piper[/name_u]
3 - [name_f]Luna[/name_f] [name_u]Piper[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] or [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] [name_u]Piper[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]

5 - [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Louis[/name_m] [name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
4 - [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
3- [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] [name_m]Louis[/name_m] [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]

I think I might go with the 3s.

BTW what if a [name_u]George[/name_u] wanted to change their name to [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], or a [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] wanted to change their name to [name_u]Joseph[/name_u], would that be possible?

2 Likes

Possible of course, but you’d have to go through the hassle of a full name change (as opposed to “just” declaring which of the names you already have you’ll be using).

I think I’d use:

• a “standard” name I’d choose anyway
  • a name from family
  • a rare name the child wouldn’t have to share
  • something nicknamey/unisex

I don’t think I’d include an opposite sex name. Of course, when thinking about what the child could be/want from life, not identifying with their agab is a possibility, but wouldn’t it be odd for a trans person to have a first name that goes with their gender, followed by three or four middle names associated with the opposite?

2 Likes

I’d stick with something between 3-5 names long in case a bout of creativity struck me.

1. one name would be short and sweet
  2. one name long and eloquent
  3. one a family name
  4. one a gp or multicultural choice
  5. one a unisex name

[name_f]Catalin[/name_f] [name_f]Eve[/name_f] [name_f]Angelina[/name_f] Ambient
[name_u]Ira[/name_u] [name_f]Cecelia[/name_f] [name_u]Carden[/name_u] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] [name_m]Branwell[/name_m]
[name_f]Maggie[/name_f] [name_u]Seraph[/name_u] [name_u]Corin[/name_u] [name_u]Louise[/name_u]

[name_u]Collins[/name_u] [name_u]Leo[/name_u] [name_u]Odysseus[/name_u] [name_u]Adair[/name_u]
[name_m]Newton[/name_m] [name_m]Aras[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_m]Antony[/name_m] [name_m]Linus[/name_m]

1 Like

I’d do:

1. a name that I love
  2. a more serious, grounded name
  3. a fairly even split gender-neutral name
  4. a less common name

daisy elizabeth bellamy hero
flora marianne ripley scout
lucy victoria penrose marlowe

jack alexander vivian poet
hugo theodore riley moon
rupert edmund charlie march

2 Likes

I’d try to fit in a [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] name, a more international name, a gender neutral name and a long classic name that also has lots of nickname options and one more bonus name in a different style than the others.

For example:

[name_f]Roos[/name_f] [name_f]Evie[/name_f] [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] [name_u]Artemis[/name_u]
Eise [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_u]Orion[/name_u]

3 Likes

Hmm, I think my criteria would mostly stay the same, except I would probably do 3 middle names instead of 2! lol

A Spanish/International Name
A GP / more [name_u]Unique[/name_u] Name
A [name_m]Classic[/name_m] Name
A Unisex Name or Unisex Nickname

Examples:
[name_f]Marina[/name_f] [name_f]Violetta[/name_f] [name_u]Ever[/name_u] [name_f]Moon[/name_f]
[name_u]Vida[/name_u] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Lola[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] [name_u]Marvel[/name_u]
[name_u]Rio[/name_u] [name_m]Enrique[/name_m] [name_m]Apollo[/name_m] [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Iver[/name_m] [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_u]Rome[/name_u]
[name_u]Luca[/name_u] [name_m]Emiliano[/name_m] [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]

2 Likes