If number 6 is a boy, what should we pick?

My other kids are [name]Paul[/name], [name]Clare[/name], [name]Mark[/name], [name]Katharine[/name] (nn [name]Kate[/name]/[name]Kat[/name]), and [name]James[/name]. For a girl we will probably go with [name]Theresa[/name] nn [name]Tess[/name]. [name]Luke[/name] and [name]John[/name] are already used in the family so it could be a bit akward to use those. I’ve been thinking about [name]Andrew[/name] but feel like I should have more options. What do you think?

I think an [name]Andrew[/name] would fit in PERFECTLY! Spot on! For a few more ideas, though, what about:

[name]Nathaniel[/name] - great fit; I feel like it has shorter nns ([name]Nat[/name] or [name]Nate[/name], [name]Nathan[/name], [name]Niel[/name]), but longer length like [name]Katharine[/name]!
[name]Nicholas[/name] - ditto ([name]Nick[/name], [name]Cole[/name])
[name]Stephen[/name]
[name]Timothy[/name]
[name]Michael[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]David[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]

For a classic that isn’t Biblical:
[name]Alan[/name]
[name]Brett[/name]
[name]Evan[/name]
[name]Leon[/name]
[name]William[/name] ([name]Will[/name], [name]Bill[/name] or [name]Billy[/name], [name]Liam[/name]) or [name]Liam[/name] on its own
[name]Robert[/name] ([name]Rob[/name], [name]Robby[/name], [name]Bob[/name], [name]Bobby[/name], [name]Bert[/name], [name]Bertie[/name])
[name]Alexander[/name] ([name]Alex[/name], [name]Xander[/name], [name]Andy[/name])

I like [name]Andrew[/name], but [name]Andy[/name] seems inevitable, and thats never been my favorite. Would you use a nickname? Here are some more options, I starred my favorites.

[name]Simon[/name]*
[name]Nathaniel[/name]*
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Joseph[/name]
[name]Matthew[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Linus[/name]*
[name]Philip[/name]*

[name]Andrew[/name] is a good solid name. I like it.

Other suggestions:

[name]Evan[/name]
[name]David[/name]
[name]Joel[/name]
[name]Levi[/name]
[name]Joshua[/name]
[name]Ian[/name]
[name]Adam[/name]
[name]Kyle[/name]
[name]Aaron[/name]

Thanks for the suggestions. Dh claims he’d call an [name]Andrew[/name] [name]Drew[/name] but I’m afraid that it would become [name]Andy[/name] particularly b/c he and the kids tend to add the “-ie” ending to everyone’s name.
DH is [name]Nathan[/name] so [name]Nathaniel[/name] is out (except at a middle). [name]Stephen[/name] and [name]Philip[/name] are two of my boy’s middle names. I love [name]Jude[/name] and it would have been [name]Katharine[/name]'s name back in 2008 if she had been a boy but now it feels a little trendy for my sibset.

I’ve added [name]Nicholas[/name] and [name]Samuel[/name] to my list though. We’ve considered [name]Nicholas[/name] in the past and I know dh likes it. We’ve never considered [name]Samuel[/name] though.

I just wanted to say that Dh really likes [name]Samuel[/name] and it’s leading the list. [name]Andrew[/name] is still on it as well. Thanks guys you are great!

I may be a little biased because my big brother is an [name]Andrew[/name] but I [name]LOVE[/name] the name - especially with [name]Paul[/name], [name]Clare[/name], [name]Katharine[/name], [name]Mark[/name] and [name]James[/name].

You seem to lean towards Biblical names to boys so I’ll throw out a few suggestions:
[name]Daniel[/name]
[name]Joshua[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Joseph[/name]
[name]Jeremiah[/name]
[name]Micah[/name] (a nice alternative to the popular [name]Michael[/name])
[name]Jonah[/name]
[name]Noah[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Judah[/name] (as an alternative to [name]Jude[/name]; which is also stunning)
[name]Malachi[/name]
[name]Elijah[/name]
[name]Caleb[/name]
[name]Abraham[/name]
[name]Isaiah[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] this helps, m’dear!!
:slight_smile: xx

Most Andrews I know are Drews.

Other names I like, some just traditional and some Biblical:
[name]Joel[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] - (or dimunitives: [name]Hal[/name]/[name]Hale[/name], and [name]Hank[/name])
[name]Alexander[/name]
[name]Zachary[/name] (or [name]Zacharias[/name] which I love but is a bit more offbeat)
[name]Patrick[/name]
[name]Samson[/name] - I just love this, but it’s maybe not as buttoned-down as some of your other choices.
[name]Owen[/name] and [name]Sean[/name] are both forms of [name]John[/name]. I am rather fond of [name]Owen[/name].
[name]Jonathan[/name] on the other hand is NOT a form of [name]John[/name], but it’s certainly not hair-raisingly odd as traditional Biblical choices go. If you are going to call him [name]Jon[/name]/[name]Jonny[/name] though it may be too close to related Johns.
[name]Jethro[/name] is kind of appealing to me. Not sure why.

[name]Matthew[/name]! Fits perfectly

:slight_smile:

& I like [name]Drew[/name] as nn for [name]Andrew[/name].

Thanks for the continued responses. I championed [name]Henry[/name] last time around but dh never found the love. [name]Zachary[/name] is a good one and one I think dh would like…probably need to add it to the list. DH and I both like [name]Matthew[/name] but I consider [name]Matt[/name] and [name]Mark[/name] a little too close for brothers. I do like [name]Jonathan[/name] but I’m sure dh would consider it too close to his name - [name]Nathan[/name].

[name]Andrew[/name] feels like the obvious choice which I think is the problem with it. I love picking names too much and [name]Andrew[/name] feels like the default choice.

[name]Alastair[/name] - maybe more [name]Brit[/name] than your other names though. It’s a variant of [name]Alexander[/name].
[name]August[/name]
[name]Abraham[/name] - I love the nickname [name]Bram[/name].
[name]Arthur[/name] and [name]Archer[/name] - [name]Arthur[/name] is more classic but [name]Archie[/name] is cuter than [name]Art[/name]. So that’s a puzzle.

I [name]LOVE[/name] YOUR KIDS NAMES! So classic, but you do not see all of those names much today. And each name will grow with each kid perfectly! [name]Love[/name] it. I like the name [name]Andrew[/name], I think it goes well with the others. Other suggestions:
[name]Stephen[/name]
[name]Matthew[/name] (too close to [name]Mark[/name]?)
[name]Peter[/name] (maybe to close to [name]Paul[/name]?)
[name]Frederick[/name] (nn [name]Fred[/name])
[name]Calvin[/name] (nn [name]Cal[/name])
[name]David[/name]
[name]Raymond[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]

I am personally a fan of [name]Samuel[/name], [name]Raymond[/name] and [name]Stephen[/name].

If you feel that [name]Andrew[/name] is a default name, what about using it as a middle. Think of [name]Andrew[/name] as your middle choice and go from there, if you find a name you love it can be BLANK [name]Andrew[/name] ([name]Raymond[/name] [name]Andrew[/name]? [name]Stephen[/name] [name]Andrew[/name]?) and if you dont, you have a great classic name to turn to.

Thanks for the compliments on my other kids names! I’m loving [name]Andrew[/name] more and more these days. [name]Isaac[/name] is the only current contender. [name]Stephen[/name] is [name]Paul[/name]'s middle name =)