If you could plan sibling birthdays.... what do you think?

Hi everyone! [name_m]Long[/name_m] post alert but thanks for your feedback!

So my husband and I have had the stressful past of having to go through IVF to have our babies. But we’ve been blessed with successful pregnancies and number two will be here in a few weeks. [name_f]My[/name_f] son’s birthday is in [name_u]January[/name_u] and my future daughter will be end of [name_f]September[/name_f] or early [name_f]October[/name_f] this year.

We are planning to have one more baby and getting pregnant within a year after this baby, with our doctor’s approval. Number one, my husband and I are older parents and number two, we want our kids close in age.

My question is about birthdays being so close together with the holidays. If we plan a third pregnancy soon after (6 months) to follow the birth of my second child, we may end up with an early [name_u]November[/name_u] baby. Which would give us an [name_f]October[/name_f], [name_u]November[/name_u], and [name_u]January[/name_u] - coupled with all the big holidays in between.

Or we can wait 10-11 months and have an [name_f]April[/name_f]/May baby. Is having 3 birthdays in the same season and around the holidays long term a big issue?

My husband and I have birthdays in [name_f]February[/name_f] and [name_u]March[/name_u], lol. So were basically nonstop from [name_f]October[/name_f] - [name_u]March[/name_u] every year.

I’ve thought about none of my kids ever having an outside birthday in the fall or winter but we live up north and [name_f]April[/name_f] and [name_f]May[/name_f] aren’t guaranteed outside parties either since it’s typically 50s-60s in [name_f]April[/name_f] and sometimes in [name_f]May[/name_f], as well.

We just want to have our babies and get the little rascals here and start living our lives! So much gets put on hold during pregnancy. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t really want to wait, but the few months wait could make for a better future for birthdays that are set in stone forever.

What do y’all think? Anyone have babies born in the same few months and around a bunch of other big events or holidays?

No one in my immediate family has this problem, but I remember growing up, quite a few of my cousins had birthdays in [name_u]January[/name_u] or [name_u]December[/name_u] (including the ones in the same households), and while it wasn’t ideal, it was manageable. We were always careful to celebrate each birthday individually from each other and from [name_u]Christmas[/name_u].

I actually think you’d be better off with all 3 around the same time of year. At that time of year you’ll often find a lot of offers. The way I see it, you’ll be buying the same items but at different times, so if you budget and save there won’t be an issue. I know it’s not a deal breaker, but if 1 sibling has a birthday in the middle of the year and the others have birthdays near [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] it can often cause jealousy as well.

1 Like

Yea good point. And my husband doesn’t see it as a big deal. He says I’m a good planner and used the example of this year… I already have all my son’s birthday and [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] gifts lol. I started in [name_u]June[/name_u] and just finished most of my shopping. But even during the holidays season, anything left, you’re right, lots of sales and deals.

Thanks! I for sure don’t think it’ll be an issue prioritizing each child away from each other and the holidays. I just wondered if it would be total chaos with major holidays and me and my husband’s anniversary as well. But he doesn’t seem to think it’s a big deal at all. He basically is like “what’s removing one birthday out the mix going to do anyway?” Lol. :woman_shrugging:t2::tired_face:

1 Like

Before my cousin was born, there were two birthdays in each of the first six months in my immediate family e.g. two birthdays in [name_u]January[/name_u], two in [name_f]February[/name_f], all the way through [name_u]June[/name_u]. (Now one month has three birthdays.) It was never a problem, although we two kids don’t share a birth month, so not sure how that will work out.

Thanks!

I don’t think it’s a big issue. It’s more important that you start trying again at the time that feels right!

I babysit for a family with three kids all born in [name_u]December[/name_u]. They also celebrate both [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] and Hanukkah because the parents are of different religions. Adding in [name_u]New[/name_u] Years, that’s a lot of holidays, but they’ve never had any problems. If anything, the kids love having a big “celebration week” where everything fun happens and lines up together. I’ve been around during the holidays and it’s not too chaotic for them, the kids have a good time with it.

1 Like

Omg actually sounds like a lot of fun LOL!

1 Like

It is!

I’ve never even really thought about this. [name_f]My[/name_f] oldest son’s birthday is in [name_f]May[/name_f], my youngest in [name_f]October[/name_f] (but he hasn’t had his first birthday yet), and our twins will be born in [name_u]January[/name_u] (or possibly [name_u]December[/name_u] if they arrive early). [name_f]My[/name_f] own birthday is in [name_f]October[/name_f] and my SO’s in [name_f]May[/name_f].

All things considered I think I’d prefer to have them close together. I don’t enjoy all the fuss that comes with birthday parties etc. [name_f]My[/name_f] SO and I hardly celebrate our birthday anyway, but of course we celebrate our children’s birthdays. Then they’re close together I can just get it over with :joy:
I wouldn’t mind if the twins were born around the holidays, because it’s a celebratory time anyway and maybe it would be easier to find nice gifts.

I don’t think it’s a problem at all.
Im born in march, partner is [name_f]May[/name_f]. Our boys are born [name_f]October[/name_f] and [name_u]July[/name_u].
What is really weird is all our birth dates are sequential!
We are a 27/28/29/30 of our months which I thought was pretty cool and certainly not planned lol.

I don’t think that having the birthdays too close together is really a problem. Basically everyone in my family has their birthdays from very late [name_u]August[/name_u] to right before [name_u]Christmas[/name_u], and it’s never been too hectic for us. It’s kind of fun to have half the year packed with birthdays and other exciting things because you feel like the fun never stops. After [name_u]August[/name_u] with only one birthday, every other month has at least two birthdays for the people in my close family. Especially since my birthday is so close to [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] (Dec 20) it gets really crazy but that just adds to the fun!

There are about ten people in my family who have birthdays the same week. It’s not a problem, just a big party. You just need to be able to plan ahead to save for parties and presents.

I would space them out for two reasons.

1. Related to the Q you are asking about birth month and birthdays, as you mention, it’s a really hectic and stressful time of the year for many people.

2. 6 months is not considered sufficient for letting your body heal and replenishing nutrients enough for a subsequent pregnancy. Most doctors recommend min 12 months for vaginal delivery and min 18 months for csection.

Thanks, I was only asking about birthdays, not about when to get pregnant. I’m a health care provider myself and I will make the best decision with my OB and fertility doctor who are both on board with me getting pregnant at the time we discussed, as long as this delivery and recovery goes well

I know, based on many of the responses, it’s starting to sound fun lol! Thank you!

Me and my twin were both born in late [name_u]December[/name_u], and we grew up in an interfaith family…Hanukkah, two birthdays, and [name_u]Christmas[/name_u], all at once. It’s a lot, but it’s certainly managable. [name_f]My[/name_f] family made sure to separate birthday gifts from winter holiday gifts, which I appreciated.

As a twin I know it’s annoying to share your birthday, but it sounds like your kids’ birthdays won’t be that close. I think it’s fine either way.

I’ve never had kids so take this with a grain of salt, but I also think that getting pregnant again with a newborn infant and a toddler is a lot to handle, so you might end up waiting not even because of the birthdays.