If you had a daughter named Evangeline.....

and you wanted to call her Ee-vee, how would you spell it? I know it’s only a nickname, but it’s bothering me. [name]Evie[/name]? Would you naturally say eh-vee or ee-vee? I [name]DO[/name] NOT like “kr8tiv” spellings at all, in any way, shape or form, but how would YOU spell it and does [name]Evie[/name] make sense to you?

[name]Love[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name]! I instinctively say [name]Evie[/name] as EE-vee. If I wanted Evv-ee, I would spell it [name]Evey[/name]. Which doesn’t make much sense, grammatically, haha, but still. For me, [name]Evie[/name] equals EE-vee and [name]Evey[/name] equals EV-ee.

I am so glad to see that, really. It’s not a HUGE deal, I grew up with the name [name]Cassie[/name] and my mother taught me to spell it [name]Cassy[/name] and NO [name]ONE[/name] ever spelled it correctly and it’s always been more of a source of amusement than anything (hehe, let’s see how bad this pizza guy manages to mangle my name) , but I DID start spelling it [name]Cassie[/name] when I was about 20, because I like the look of the ie.

I say EE-vee; I prefer that much more over Evv-ee! I think [name]Evie[/name] is adorable!

[name]Evie[/name] is the only way I’ve seen that nickname spelled - and I can’t wrap my head around anything else (I hate creative spellings, too).

In my family, [name]Evie[/name] is ee-vee and [name]Evvie[/name] is eh-vee. The two v’s emphasize that the first E is short.

And neither has a y. I have seen [name]Evey[/name] before in other families but only read it not heard it and I was always unsure if it were said like [name]Evie[/name] or [name]Evvie[/name].

I feel SO much better, thank you, guys!

[name]Evie[/name] is always EE-vee to me, and [name]Evvie[/name] EH-vee. [name]Love[/name] both [name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Evie[/name], by the by.

I agree [name]Evie[/name] is always said Ee-vee

See, my friend growing up (whom I am no longer friends with) was [name]Evelyn[/name] and decided she was going to spell her name [name]Evy[/name] and it always bugged me. I really dislike the Y and it always confused people as to whether it was ehv-ee (which it was) or ee-vee. I think that’s whats making me question the whole thing - and I really do not want to her think I named a child after her. >_<

[name]Evy[/name] is confusing looking, yeah.

I think [name]Evie[/name] (ee-vee) for [name]Evangeline[/name] makes perfect sense.

I would skip the y’s but I’m anti-y at the best of times unless its very VERY traditional.

I would think an [name]Evelyn[/name] would be a bit silly to assume an [name]Evangeline[/name] was named after her unless you specifically told her it was for her. And I would think an ex-friend would be even likelier to realize it’s just coincidence? If I saw an ex-friend from highschool with a baby named [name]Josephine[/name]/[name]Johanna[/name]/[name]Jocelyn[/name] I’d have to have rocks in my head to decide the [name]Jo[/name]- was obviously for me.

[name]Evie[/name] is always Ee-vee to me. :slight_smile: [name]Evangeline[/name] nn [name]Evie[/name] is one of my favourites!

It would be odd to me to pronounce [name]Evie[/name] differently than “Ee-vee”.

I would pronounce [name]Evie[/name] as “Eee-vee.”

[name]Evie[/name] is definitely pronounced Ee-Vee in my book. I love it. And I love [name]Evangeline[/name]. Beautiful name!

[name]Evie[/name] definitely makes sense as an nn for [name]Evangeline[/name]. And yes, I would spell it [name]Evie[/name].

Oh, she is definitely the type to make it about herself - if she says anything I’ll just have to break it to her, lol.

Now I just need to actually choose between [name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Cordelia[/name]. D:

[name]Evie[/name] is the most common spelling for that pronunciation here in the UK. I think it even makes the ‘most popular’ lists with that spelling–a lot of people have just surpassed the formal first and gone straight for the throat with this one.

I have a friend who just named their baby [name]Evie[/name] and they pronounce it ee-vee.

I would think anybody seeing [name]Evie[/name] would think EE-vee. That’s how I’ve always seen it spelled. It’d be tricky to get anybody to say EV-ee I think but if I had to try I’d probably spell it [name]Evvie[/name].