If you have an unusual name, would you give your child one?

My name is [name]Tamara[/name] (Taah mara) it is mispronounced a lot as (ta mara with emphasis on the mara) but other than that as having had the common nickname of [name]Tammy[/name], I have liked my name. My sister has the name [name]Tannia[/name] (pronounced [name]Tanya[/name]) or [name]Tana[/name] as a family nicknames. My brother was [name]Richard[/name].

I sort of followed that with two sons with normal names ([name]Patrick[/name] and [name]Nicholas[/name]) but named my daughter [name]Autumn[/name] (which was very unusual when I did it and not so different now)

As I get older though I think I prefer the more “normal” names for a girl such as [name]Ivy[/name], [name]Marie[/name] and [name]Joy[/name] and my favorite for several years for a boy has been a toss up of [name]Ezekiel[/name] and [name]Elijah[/name].

Not having anymore babies though and not much influence on the grandbaby names! :slight_smile:

I call it, “straight hair/curly hair theory”, (girls with straight hair want curly hair/girls with curly hair want straight hair)it seems that
people with unique/uncommon names who had difficulty with people speaking and spelling their name correctly lean towards more
common names to compensate for their past experiences. While all the folks that grew up with uber-popular names for their
generation, go for the more creative, stand out names for their kids.

I grew up with a name that has been used for both genders for generations with different spellings, and I often get my name misspelled, but not mispronounced.

[name]Both[/name] my names are kind of old fashioned names. I’ve never met anyone with my middle name, and very few with my first. I’ve had lots of frustration with both my names, they’re both pronounced beautifully in Norwegian, but my first name sounds horrible in English (my English family mostly pronounce it the way I want, or they use nicknames). So when we moved here I started using my middle instead, until that caused a lot of problems when I started university (I was given a male roommate for example), and I went back to my first name after the first semester. For the most I’ve liked both my names, although there were times I wish I had a more mysterious, romantic or exotic name. My names are both pretty buttoned up clunky vintage names. But I have loved being the only one with my name. There was never anyone else with my first name in my ages group (I’ve met old ladies, and more recently little girls).
My boyfriend’s name is a very classic boy name, he’s always known a lot of people with this name. It’s in the top 10 in [name]England[/name] now. He’s got two other names, one classic Czech and one Catholic [name]Saint[/name] name (his legal first).

When choosing a name for my baby we want something beautiful and magical, a name that feels free (opposite to buttoned up I guess). But it is important to me that it’s quite easy to spell and pronounce in both English and Norwegian (we’ve let go of Gwenllian for example, which I’m pretty sure my grandmother would not be able to say), and French/Italian/Czech. But the main thing we’ve looked for are names that feel right to us, so I guess I haven’t been too coloured by the fact that I’ve had an issue or two with mu unusual name.

My first and middle names are very common for my generation. I was a [name]Jones[/name], to boot. When I got married, to a [name]Smith[/name], my cousin told me that was no improvement. While keeping my first and middle names, I went back up the family tree for a surname for myself and to pass on to our children.

My older daughter is [name]Jessica[/name] - there are loads of girls named [name]Emily[/name], [name]Alex[/name], … in her class, but she’s only run in to one other [name]Jessica[/name] her age. My younger daughter is [name]Jemima[/name], and we haven’t personally met any other Jemimas. The kids have a hyphenated surname. [name]Jessica[/name] was pleased in second grade when a [name]Jessica[/name] [name]Smith[/name] was at the school for a bit, that she was [name]Jessica[/name] Sterikoff-[name]Smith[/name], because it meant no one confused them.

Growing up I was the only [name]Amelia[/name] I ever knew of (other than a very old women across the street) and I loved it (now I’m actually quite pissed that it’s become so popular recently…I still have problems hearing someone talk about another amelia and not thinking they’re talking about me). I will definitely be trying to pic underused classics (like mine was during my childhood) for my own children.

My name is [name]Serena[/name], but I spell it differently. It’s relatively uncommon with the original “[name]Serena[/name]” spelling (I’ve met one [name]Serena[/name]), but the way I spell my name is even more uncommon. I’ve never met anyone with my spelling, and apparently neither has the majority of the world because I always have to spell it for people. And yes, it sucks. I’m always being mistaken for [name]Sabrinas[/name], Marinas, Karinas, Selenas, and even the occasional [name]Sophia[/name]. And when they do get my name correct, they spell it [name]Serena[/name]. Great.

But, honestly, I wouldn’t change my name. I’d hate to be just another [name]Jennifer[/name] or [name]Tiffany[/name] or [name]Isabella[/name] because I’ve seen how people with these names constantly have to be referred to as [name]Jennifer[/name] N. or [name]Jennifer[/name] N.-with-the-middle-name-[name]Marie[/name] because both Jennifers have the same last name. I’d hate to voluntarily do that to a child and I’d avoid it if I can.

So, to answer your question, yes I’d name my kid a unique or slightly uncommon name but I’d make sure he or she has a spelling that most people will know.

I have a co-worker with an unusual name and she hated it. She ended up giving her kids two very normal/common names. I had an uncommon name (for my generation and my location) and I loved it. I wouldn’t give my children very common names.

My name isn’t crazy or anything but growing up I never met anyone with it, not in primary school, secondary or in college. And I loved it. I think it made me stand out and I always had people say, “oh I’ve never met another [name]Millie[/name] before” which is why I would not give my child a really popular name, but then again I am nervous about going for something totally wild.

I have a quite common name, [name]Caitlin[/name] but I have a mixed style for names. I love names like [name]Thomas[/name], [name]Caleb[/name] and [name]Violet[/name] but I also like names like [name]Maeve[/name], [name]Jax[/name] and [name]Breccan[/name].

I have a really uncommon , hard to spell name and my goal is to give my babies uncommon, but somewhat familiar names! Something I see on here a lot is people urging others not to use a name because of all the misspellings and mispronunciations, but it honestly isn’t THAT bad. It can be annoying, but make people take the time to spell and pronounce your name right! :slight_smile:

I was born in the 80s and [name]Alexandra[/name] was all the rage. I knew a lot of [name]Alexandra[/name]'s and [name]Alexander[/name]'s. I hated being one of many but aways loved that I had a bunch of nn options. I think I’d give my kids a name that wasn’t as popular but allowed for more than one nn option for them to choose from.

I am [name]Marie[/name] [name]Ann[/name], so very common and in my opinion boring. I study language and so my kids will have more creative names but there is a line between creative and weird.

I have a relatively unusual first and middle name… [name]Dara[/name] [name]Marlynne[/name]- [name]Dara[/name] rhymes with [name]Sarah[/name]; [name]Mar[/name] (rhymes with car)- lynne, second syllable accented. It’s getting better, but growing up, I always had to correct people’s pronunciation of my first name, and heaven help if they tried to say my middle. As a child, I wished for a more common name, but now I’ve come to love the uniqueness of my name. I’m currently pregnant with my first child, and I find that I want her to have an uncommon name as well! Not something completely off the charts or weird, just not in the top 1-2 hundred. In my name search, there have been several names that I really liked, but decided to cut because they are just too popular. I won’t know my final name decision until I see her sweet face, but I’m really excited to find out who she will be! :smiley:

I have a REALLY uncommon fn name and I spent my childhood having to answer questions from just about every person I met how to spell it, how to pronounce it, answering questions about what it means, what the background of the name was, etc. I’m not the kind of person who WANTS a lot of attention or wants to FORCE people to spell/pronounce my name correctly, so being in this situation is at odds with my nature. Definitely something to think about when you’re choosing children’s names. As parents, you may not be troubled by this kind of attention, but if your kids are less extroverted than you, this can be an uncomfortable experience for them.

Now I go by a nickname, which allows me to enter social situations without my name drawing excess attention. Having been through that, my goal was to give my children names that are familiar, but not ubiquitous.