If you lived somewhere else

If you lived in a totally different place would you still name your babies the same names?
What if you lived in…
Tokyo?
[name]Sidney[/name]?
Moscow?
New [name]York[/name] City?
San [name]Francisco[/name]?
[name]Hawaii[/name]?
[name]Rio[/name] de Janeiro?
[name]Cairo[/name]?
Mexico City?
[name]Paris[/name]?
Anchorage?
[name]Kenya[/name]?
[name]Melbourne[/name]?
Edinburgh?
[name]Sweden[/name]?
[name]Jakarta[/name]?
[name]Alabama[/name]?

I think it would depend on whether I always lived somewhere else (specifically), how my tastes might have developed, and whether I would continue to live there, and also if I was native or ethnic, if I moved somewhere - I am part [name]German[/name] but not really culturally at all, but however, were I to settle in for a [name]German[/name] life, I might choose names that are more [name]German[/name] than I would possibly feel comfortable with in the US. Same thing with [name]France[/name], except I’m not French! If I were to move somewhere with wholly different naming traditions like days of the week or physical attributes, I might loosen my American restrictions on some names (some people like a name like [name]River[/name], I’m kind of chicken to do it in the US, but it might fit in better somewhere else).

If I were married to someone from one of those places and we lived there, that would have some influence on certain ethnic names being more plausible, but for the most part, I would stick with the names I like to whatever extent that wasn’t a problem in the native language. My vague euro-white, middle-class American heritage and tastes that I’ve developed would continue to be my primary source of what to name my child. I’m not overly concerned with popularity in other cities of the U.S. were I to transfer somewhere else within, the only problem might be the local slang, as we recently learned some places in New [name]England[/name], [name]Winnie[/name] has a negative slang meaning. Not that I like the name [name]Winnie[/name] for my child, but any name might be subject to this treatment elsewhere that I’m not aware of.

Well, I know that if I’d always lived in another place, I would probably have different tastes in names (for example, I find obviously religious names, and other very American trends, odd, as I am English).
Also, if I lived somewhere where a language other than English was spoken, while I would still pick English names to honour my heritage, I would take care that they were easy for the locals to pronounce.

I meant if you lived where you live now, and then you moved to another place, and then you had a baby, would the new place where you live now affect what you named your baby?

It might. If I had a son named [name]Daniel[/name] here, no biggie. Somewhere else in the country, maybe [name]Daniel[/name] is just creepy. I don’t mean, say, too popular and to fit in I actually have to pick out something weird - I think when common names “aren’t done here,” it will be weird! But if there’s some local scandal named [name]Daniel[/name], I might pick something else. If I moved to Europe, I might dabble in something a little less ordinary (to me) for a girl, or like I said, may feel more comfortable using a name like [name]River[/name] in some locations. I like the name [name]Peter[/name], so not sure if I would, for example, choose [name]Pierre[/name] in [name]France[/name]. I don’t always see it as a chance to use the local translations of a name I liked. I don’t like the name [name]Pierre[/name] if I like [name]Peter[/name]. I might like other French names better than American ones, though. Girl names from [name]France[/name] might be popular in the US, but I don’t think boys names are. I’m not feeling it!

I guess I feel more comfortable assimilating in general to a European culture even if it’s not my own heritage - as I said, I’m not that close to my other European roots but I would feel more comfortable as my appearance and that of my child would look European. I guess there’s the opportunity to use all the beautiful foreign variations that would always be spelled or pronounced wrong in the US, but not sure I would take it very far. The opposite problem of language might occur, where an acceptable variation in [name]America[/name] might actually be Italian and they wouldn’t know how to spell or say it in Poland or Denmark. They might have restrictions on names too, like we learned about [name]Hawaii[/name]! Didn’t I read in [name]Pam[/name] & [name]Linda[/name]'s books somewhere that surnames are restricted from use as first names in Norway? Is this still true?

If I were in [name]Asia[/name] or [name]Africa[/name], knowing not too much about those areas, I wouldn’t see myself picking out a local name. Here I live in [name]America[/name], and most children of immigrants can have exotic names that are more common where they come from, I would more likely either choose an American name I already like, or feel more free to relax my inhibitions (?) and choose from other American names I’m not brave enough to saddle a child with in [name]America[/name], if it was more appropriate to the local culture. I don’t know. Like I could name him [name]Hawk[/name] if bird names were more respectable - in the US, most chosen names tend to have obscure meanings and if they don’t, it’s sort of, in kind words, not something I would see myself doing (ask me when I was 17, my answer would have been different). It would be in the English language probably. As long as the word [name]Hawk[/name] didn’t mean something offensive in the local language, I think we’re good to go. As long as the word [name]Daniel[/name] didn’t mean anything offensive either.

In general, as an immigrant to some other country, I would try to follow by example immigrants to the US, and choose an American name wherever I would go, and by American name, I mean names we use from other languages with some familiarity.