If you love Henry, James & Luke, would you love Miles?

Hello Berries,
I am considering [name]Miles[/name] for my first child and am trying to convince myself to love it, but just can’t at this point, maybe because it’s not quite classic/timeless enough for what I’m looking for. I’m considering it because it flows well with my last name as well as being a name that’s been around (not new and trendy). There are very few boys names that I truly love. My top three are [name]Henry[/name], [name]James[/name] and [name]Luke[/name], all of which are problematic for me to use. [name]Ben[/name] and [name]William[/name] are also the only other names that I can say I really love, to give you an idea of my taste. [name]Will[/name] [name]Miles[/name] sound dated in 20+ years? If you like this name, why? And if not, why not?

I wouldn’t classify [name]Miles[/name] as classic, but not trendy either. At this point, it’s kind of an outlier to me…kind of steadily there but not all over the place. If I just looked at your top names and you asked me to come up with suggestions, I would probably say
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]William[/name]
[name]Joseph[/name]
[name]Patrick[/name]
etc.

But I don’t think [name]Miles[/name] is jarring with yout other picks, either.

I have a [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Peter[/name] and considered [name]Miles[/name] during both pregnancies however it has the same ending as our last name and sounds awful. I love the name [name]Miles[/name] and think it’s a great classic, one I would have loved to use! You’d have to check SSA to see if it’s on the rise and may seem trendy or dated one day?!

[name]Hi[/name],
My son is [name]James[/name] [name]Henry[/name], nickname [name]Jay[/name] (so we covered a lot of your favorites, no? :slight_smile:

I think [name]Miles[/name] is okay, but not a favorite with me. It sounds a little pretentious for some reason IMHO (don’t want to offend, this is just my impression).

We just had twin boys who we named [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Eli[/name]. Some of my other favorites were [name]Graham[/name], [name]Drew[/name], and [name]August[/name], which we couldn’t use for various reasons. We are thrilled with all 3 of our boys’ names!

[name]Hope[/name] this helps -
Bostonlover

I love [name]Henry[/name] (have one of them) and [name]James[/name], and I don’t have strong feelings on [name]Miles[/name]. I think it’s cute (especially on a boy), and it’s been around for a long time which is nice. But to me it’s a little bit passive sounding and not quite as manly and traditional as the 3 names you brought up. I know a few boys named [name]Miles[/name] and [name]Milo[/name] and their parents are more of hipster/nontraditional types.

We are considering [name]Miles[/name] [name]Henry[/name] for our first, due in 2.5 weeks. I also like [name]James[/name], but it’s our [name]BIL[/name]'s name and that would be weird. I do not like [name]Luke[/name] (too 90210 for me!). Other names I considered were [name]Theodore[/name], [name]Thaddeus[/name], [name]August[/name], [name]Cormac[/name], [name]Maverick[/name], etc. I also like [name]William[/name] (another [name]BIL[/name]) and [name]Peter[/name] (an ex-bf).

I think [name]Miles[/name] is slightly more “trendy” than [name]Henry[/name] and [name]James[/name]. But I don’t think it’s going to top the charts anytime soon. The only [name]Miles[/name] I know is 35 now.

I do love [name]Henry[/name], [name]James[/name], and [name]Luke[/name], and I adore [name]Miles[/name]. Still, if you don’t love it, don’t use it! [name]Just[/name] because it should feel right doens’t make it so. Maybe:

[name]Patrick[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Edward[/name] / [name]Edmund[/name]
[name]Martin[/name]
[name]Wesley[/name]
[name]Heath[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name]

Thank you all for your responses! You’ve helped me come to the conclusion that [name]Miles[/name] is not for me. I liked and considered it because it was on the classic side, popular on nameberry, and sounded really good with my last name. But I don’t love it, and at this point I think I would be happier accepting the minus issues of a favorite like [name]James[/name] or [name]William[/name]. Thank you all again for helping me sort through this.

I can’t say I’ve ever been fond of [name]Miles[/name] because it’s always felt like a surname to me and that is definitely a trend. The other names you’ve picked out are lovely names. I can only think to recommend:

[name]Alexander[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]David[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Francis[/name]/[name]Frank[/name]
[name]Joseph[/name]
[name]Robert[/name]
[name]Richard[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name]
[name]Walter[/name]
[name]Wesley[/name]

^^ Sorry, didn’t see your last post there until too late! You have really wonderful choices to choose from, and I don’t think you can go wrong!