If you met a child called Charlotte...

… would you feel compelled to use a nickname for her? I like the name a lot, but am not keen on [name]Char[/name] or [name]Charlie[/name] or [name]Lottie[/name]. I know the name is fairly long (in terms of letters), but it doesn’t actually have very many syllables, so I’m wondering if people would generally just use [name]Charlotte[/name]?

Actually [name]Charlie[/name] and [name]Lottie[/name] have the same number of syllables as [name]Charlotte[/name], so a nickname seems kind of pointless to me. People will say the name far more than write it, so number of letters isn’t too big of an issue. I know a [name]Charlotte[/name] who just goes by [name]Charlotte[/name], and it has always seemed perfectly normal.

I can speak from experience on this one, since my God-daughter is named [name]Charlotte[/name]. Her mom didn’t like the idea of [name]Char[/name] ([name]Shar[/name]) but loved [name]Charlie[/name] before she was born. She’s only a year old, so time will tell if she gets more nicknames, but we mostly call her [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Char[/name]-[name]Char[/name], [name]Char[/name], [name]Charley[/name] ([name]SHAR[/name]-lee), Charlatina Ballerina and Peanut. The majority of the time she’s just [name]Charlotte[/name], or [name]Char[/name] for short. We joke about calling her [name]Lola[/name] and [name]Lottie[/name] sometimes, but at this point she’s not a [name]Charlie[/name] at all. Her grandpa calls her [name]Charlie[/name] sometimes though, which is very sweet. Strangers don’t seem to be compelled to call her anything other than [name]Charlotte[/name] so far, though you never know what will happen when she’s older and is in school. Kids tend to nickname themselves or get nicknamed by friends, teachers, etc. [name]Charlotte[/name] is short enough syllable wise for people to get used to though. My best friend in elementary school was named [name]Katherine[/name] and her parents really just wanted her to go by that. But in Kindergarten everyone started calling her [name]Katie[/name] and to this day, even as an adult, she’s still [name]Katie[/name]. It’s funny because the [name]Charlotte[/name] I’m speaking of is a twin, and her brother is named [name]Hudson[/name]. People tend to insist on calling him Huddy or Hud, which is funny because they don’t often shorten [name]Charlotte[/name]. [name]Hope[/name] that helps!

My friend’s name is [name]Charlotte[/name] and we always just call her [name]Charlotte[/name]. I wouldn’t worry about nicknames

I’ve only met one person named [name]Charlotte[/name], and she went by [name]Charlotte[/name]. [name]Charlotte[/name] is one of my favorite names, and if I ever used it, I doubt I would nickname it…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I don’t think you need a nickname at all. I like it just the way it is . It is one of our top names, and although we plan on using a nickname, part of the reason I love hte name is that when she gets older and maybe grows out of a nickname, it is wonderful just on its own.

I would never meet a [name]Charlotte[/name] and start calling her [name]Charlie[/name] or [name]Lottie[/name] or anything. I think if I was close friends with one I would probably call her [name]Char[/name] sometimes. But no, I don’t think people would just impart nicknames on a [name]Charlotte[/name], since it’s only two syllables.

Actually, a couple of years ago, [name]Charlotte[/name] was my favorite name and I wanted to use the nickname [name]Carly[/name] for it.

My 2-year-old is named [name]Charlotte[/name] and no one has ever called her anything but [name]Charlotte[/name]. We only introduce her as [name]Charlotte[/name] and have never used anything else, so if someone all of a sudden started calling her [name]Lottie[/name], I would find it rather odd.

It would depend on what the parents were calling the child, I personally would follow step with what they call the child. I think [name]Charlotte[/name] is a name which could go either way, depending on the child as she gets into school and what she wants her friends to call her. If you raise her as [name]Charlotte[/name], and that is all she is ever called then it will most likely stick even amongst her friends. You really never know though, and it is a name which has nicknames.

I know a [name]Charlotte[/name] called [name]Lottie[/name] and actually I much prefer [name]Lottie[/name] - it sounds quaint like a character from a [name]Katherine[/name] [name]Mansfield[/name] short story.

I love [name]Charlotte[/name] without a nickname! It is timeless and classic all by itself. :slight_smile: